[SOLVED] Psu went boom

Aug 19, 2020
Yesterday started off as a great day I had just ordered some new gear to build up 😀 I got it all set up and running and everything was fine I installed Windows got my driver's downloaded hwinfo to check my temps where good which they were apart from a sensor called temp2 which was reading at 81 but from a quick Google I found hwinfo was doing that for everyone who had the exact same motherboard so I don't think that was related. Everything was cool my computer was like a fridge. Had it running for say an hour before I decided to download steam. It was getting late but I wanted to see how it ran so I looked for a nice graphical game that wasn't too big that wouldn't take a while to download I picked the forest game ran smooth asf temps still beautiful GPU around the high 40s roughly and low 50s on CPU as far as I could see it was perfect. I'm not sure if there was any dodgy voltages going on as I don't understand any of that. I love building have done for past 12 years but I'm not too wised up on volts etc. I had not overclocked anything I had even left ram at its default low speeds instead of its branded 3200mhz with the profile in bios. Then after about 10 minutes ingame I heard a loud bang and my pc filled up with smoke I screamed gotta go down my headset to my friend in discord and rapidly turned it off at the plug (my pc didn't actually die the screen was still on and everything) took the PSU out and it had some stinky liquid on it it looked from what I could see without opening it like a capacitor had exploded I was gutted I was almost in tears as this has been something I have saved up for for a long time. Went to bed because I had to be up early this morning wondering if my pc was a total write off. Today I decided to take out my 2080S and put in the 980ti (wasn't sure my old PSU could power the 2080S) and try a really old 650w PSU just to see if I could boot up and I could. For some reason tho even tho the bios could see I had my m.2 drive it wouldn't boot up windows again. I hooked up one of the other ssd's and I was able to reinstall windows. On the screen that shows which drive you want to install windows on it picked the m.2 up there too but it wouldn't for some reason let me install to that drive. So I installed Windows onto the other one and that seemed to work fine I got into windows perfectly inside windows my m.2 didn't show I'm wondering if it was something wrong In bios maybe or if this was the culprit? Everything else seems fine. At this point I turned it back off as this PSU was a very old 7+ year ocz bronze rated and I didn't want to risk anything more happening. I have ordered now a 850w seasonic focus PSU after looking at people rating that brand very high quality it will come tomorrow. But I'm still stuck here wondering what might have caused the PSU to blow and wondering if anyone can give me some ideas what it could have been. My new specs are Asus strix 570x e gaming, 3800x Ryzen with an h115i aio cooler, 2x 32gb 3200mhz vengeance pro I also got another 2 dummy vengeance pro sticks (for aesthetics😋), evga 2080 super ftw3 hybrid, 2x crucial mx500 ssd's and a wd black 1tb m.2. The bad PSU was an evga supernova g+ 850w. I had taken the PSU and graphics card from my old pc that I had running for about a year now where it had been fine apart from once a few months ago the power died in my pc during a thunderstorm but then after unplugging and replugging worked perfectly again till now. I dunno what could have caused this but I'm grateful it seems nothing was wreckt from it apart from possibly the m.2 but the fact it's still sort of showing up makes me wonder if it's just being funny to pick up I know storage can be like that sometimes. I also don't know till tomorrow if the GPU is ok but the fact the screen still showed after the bang gives me hope that it's ok. I have scoured every single piece of equipment for bad caps and scorches but I see no damage at all apart from on PSU. Not sure what the hell has caused this only theory's and bare with me I'm a noob at this is perhaps something got knocked while installing it or the wires where packed together too tight or maybe it had been so used to running a certain way that when it was put in a new system it freaked. Idk hoping someone can give me some ideas. I'm worried incase this new PSU comes that it could happen again if it's something within the pc causing it. I ran through PSU calc to make sure 100% that my PSU had enough juice to cover it and it did (calc says about 650 would work). Thanks for reading and sorry if I sound like a noobie at this in all my time building for the most part it's always been fine with no issues Neve Thad anything like this happen before

Solution
I'm worried incase this new PSU comes that it could happen again if it's something within the pc causing it. I ran through PSU calc to make sure 100% that my PSU had enough juice to cover it and it did (calc says about 650 would work). Thanks for reading and sorry if I sound like a noobie at this in all my time building for the most part it's always been fine with no issues Neve Thad anything like this happen before
Basically the PSU just couldn't handle what you were throwing it at it and it died. Nothing would have caused it but just a bad PSU, it happens. just be thankful and hopeful that all your stuff is still intact. I know you're going to be scared but don't be, PSU's get old and then they die, you unfortunately kept one...

Ferimer

Distinguished
I'm worried incase this new PSU comes that it could happen again if it's something within the pc causing it. I ran through PSU calc to make sure 100% that my PSU had enough juice to cover it and it did (calc says about 650 would work). Thanks for reading and sorry if I sound like a noobie at this in all my time building for the most part it's always been fine with no issues Neve Thad anything like this happen before
Basically the PSU just couldn't handle what you were throwing it at it and it died. Nothing would have caused it but just a bad PSU, it happens. just be thankful and hopeful that all your stuff is still intact. I know you're going to be scared but don't be, PSU's get old and then they die, you unfortunately kept one that went through a surge before and eventually the need to push out more power and volts to components finally caused it to explode. SHould have gotten a new one when it died the first time.

Reactions: Petorr89
Solution
Aug 19, 2020
Basically the PSU just couldn't handle what you were throwing it at it and it died. Nothing would have caused it but just a bad PSU, it happens. just be thankful and hopeful that all your stuff is still intact. I know you're going to be scared but don't be, PSU's get old and then they die, you unfortunately kept one that went through a surge before and eventually the need to push out more power and volts to components finally caused it to explode. SHould have gotten a new one when it died the first time.
Yeah that would make alot of sense when the pc died (I'm guessing that was evga's safety protection) I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine again and I thought it was just having a weird hiccup or something. But the damage could have already been done and when jumping up from like 1800x / 16gb ram to 3800x/64gb ram plus more fans and drives it's just been too much power and its pushed it too much. Will never risk anything again when it comes to power in future. Hopefully this is the answer and I can run the pc tomorrow fine ^_^

Aug 19, 2020
About 1yr so I think it is covered ordered a new seasonic PSU but will still try to get this one replaced and maybe keep as spare or sell to make up some of the money I have lost. My 2080 super the only thing I have not tested yet till I get new PSU tomorrow is also 1 year (bought at same time) would the warrenty cover damage to it from the PSU? Hope it still works tho I scoured it with my flash light on my phone (has see through plastic around it. Couldn't see any damage so praying as it ls a hefty chunk of money to replace that one