Question PSU Went POP

BVleu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Hello,

So for the past week sometimes my computer has been making a really strange noise coming and going like a lose cable was over a fan i was going to wait until tonight to take it apart because i have been very busy with work and this morning i had a power cut in my area once the outage was resolved i turned my pc on and the noise came back i booted up to my desktop and the computer switched itself off i turned it back on went into the bios checked my cpu temps and everything was normal, my pc then shut off again but would not boot this is the part i made a rookie mistake and tried to turn the computer on several times with just the fans moving slightly then i heard a pop and smoke coming out of the powersupply.

I instantly turned off the power to the computer and ordered a new powersupply my main concern is the current parts in the computer whats the chance that they would be broken with the current protection motherboards have these days?

BVleu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
I should also add that I have taken the computer apart to remove the faulty PSU and no cables were over any of my fans so this leaves me wondering that i guess the noise was the powersupply dying

BVleu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
If you had a good quality PSU then chances are nothing else was damaged but never can tell.

No real way to find out till you get the new one.

It was a coolermaster I have had it for around 4 years and it has been through 3 different computers and I'll be honest I have not cleaned it for around 2 years it has done its job i just hope it has not broke other components as i only recently upgraded