PSU whine and nothing showing on screen

Cashe

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I have a 850 watt Seasonic X-Series PSU. I just installed everything on the system today.

I turned it on and I started hearing a whining noise coming from the PSU. I hooked up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to see if I could get any output, but nothing comes up on the screen.

I already switched out the power supply with another one that I had, and it made the same whining noise with the known working PSU.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cashe

Solution
Firstly, using the splitter for the water cooling system in correct how ever you MUST have the CPU fan 1 plug occupied CPU fan 2 doesn't actually matter but 1 does so change that I'm no sure if that will fix the problem I'm pretty sure it won't but you have to do that

Umm can you give me the dates you bought the CPU and the motherboard? Or did you buy both at the same time? And can you give me the model if the CPU and motherboard

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
The noise could just be something you haven't noticed before it just how the air is moving through a gap, is the fan on the psu facing up or down?

And as for it not working you may have just not quite pushed a plug all the way in

Cashe

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

The PSU fan is facing up/away from the bottom of the case. I'll reassemble it on Sunday when I have the time, and I'll let you know how it works out!

Cashe

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I have a question. On the motherboard there are 4 spots for fans (2 CPU and 2 Chassis). I plugged in the two 200mm fans that came with the case to the Chassis fans; but, I also installed liquid cooling - which requires 3 spots, two for the fans and one for the cooler itself - and I had to use a splitter that came with the liquid cooling to hook up all 3 wires to the motherboard. I hooked up the cooler itself to CPU 2 and the two fans, using the splitter, to CPU 1. Would this cause any damage after turning it on? This is the first time I've dealt with liquid cooling, so I'm not positive! I even unhooked all the wires from the CPU fan spots and hooked up the stock cooler - but it still did not fix the problem.

Also, I performed your steps last night:
The CPU power is in the right spot, and connected properly.
I installed the standoffs.
The video card is seated fully.
All the power connectors are connected.
I tried booting with one stick of RAM - nothing. And yes, fully inserted.
I verified I was using the right RAM slots.
The CPU is installed correctly. There are no bent pins.
The CPU fan is plugged in (but with the problem I listed above - with the liquid cooling).
There are no loose screws or wires touching the mobo.
I mitigated ESD by always having a hand on the metal of the case.

I'm not positive on the system speaker though. The speaker should plug into the Front Panel 2 connectors, but I didn't find any connector cable coming from the header that said "speaker". Instead, I found a connector cable that fit onto the entire FP2 connectors perfectly. The connector cable end was labeled with weird numbers/letters (can't remember, at school right now). IF the speakers are hooked up, I'm getting no POST beeps - which would mean either a bad motherboard or processor for me, right?

I know the first Front Panel is connected properly - everything in that regard works great.
Yes, my PSU is turned on.
I'm pretty sure my CPU is supported by my BIOS. I never got any problems with PC partpicker, and it has told me before if the BIOS doesn't work with the processor.

I have not tried resetting the CMOS. But will that even make a difference in my case? I can do it Sunday when I get the chance.
I have a video card, and integrated graphics with the processor. I still need to take out the video card altogether to double check it isn't the GPU, that is bad.

I can go over all the cables and components again to make sure everything is in nice and firm. But I'm pretty sure they are.

I'll use the breadboarding technique on Sunday if I can't figure out the problem by then. I really think it is either the CPU or the Motherboard though - which just sucks! If it is those, do you think I could have gotten a faulty one from the manufacturer? Or is it most likely user-error?

Thanks,
Cashe

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Firstly, using the splitter for the water cooling system in correct how ever you MUST have the CPU fan 1 plug occupied CPU fan 2 doesn't actually matter but 1 does so change that I'm no sure if that will fix the problem I'm pretty sure it won't but you have to do that

Umm can you give me the dates you bought the CPU and the motherboard? Or did you buy both at the same time? And can you give me the model if the CPU and motherboard

Solution