Question PSU will not boot *POWER_ON with paperclip trick

Aug 24, 2019
I have a Dell L305P-01 PSU that I want to use as a power supply for my old CD car stereo. I have attempted to boot power-on the PSU by connecting the green and ground wires but the fan does not spin up and there is no power coming from any output when checked with a multimeter. The purple (PWR_OK) wire is putting out 5 volts and the Green wire puts out 3.3 ish volts but no other 12V, 5V or 3.3V wires are putting out any power.

I read elsewhere that some PSUs need a "dummy load" to start up so I connected a 10W 10ohm resistor to a 5V wire but that didn't help.

As a test I connected the PSU to the motherboard of my home computer and when I pressed the power button the PC turned on so I know that the PSU is not dead .

Are there any ideas out there what is going on?

Last edited:
Ok, so to start with, you don't "boot" a power supply. You turn it on, or you turn it off. But you don't boot it. Booting is something that is done when an operating system of some kind is loaded into memory.

If the power supply does not come on when you trigger it with a paper clip as seen in the video below, then it is faulty and should be either returned for warranty or discarded if you are certain that the problem does not lie with any problems at the outlet or a connected power strip.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
So is your sarcasm. I was not trying to teach you semantics nor be sarcastic. Usually, it is helpful for a user to understand the correct terminology so they don't sound like a noob (Or worse) when they ask about something here or go someplace else to ask. Usually, it's appreciated. I know when I don't know the correct terminology for something, I appreciate it when somebody clues me in. If it offends you that I tried to educate you on the correct way to address your issue, I appologize, but your sarcasm in response certainly doesn't help to get your problem solved either.

So, best of luck to you. Hope you get the problem figured out.