[SOLVED] Psu wire questions

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
So I'm getting an 2080 ti and I need to connect 2 8 pins to it and I have 2 8 pin connector slots on my 1200 watt thermal take psu but I only seem to have one 8 pin cable cause I lost the other 💁‍♂️ and so idk what cable to buy so if yall can send some links that would be great 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Solution
That depends on your definition of "good". If by good you mean is is a high performance card, then yes. If however by "good" you mean, is it an excellent example of a 2080 TI, then the answer would be no. It is probably, undoubtedly, among the worst of the aftermarket 2080 TI models, as are all the MSI "Ventus" cards, which are budget models for any given series. This, would be a better choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1099.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1099.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 17:37 EST-0500

And this, would be a LOT better choice:

PCPartPicker Part List...
You are going to need to probably contact Thermaltake on that one. That is a region specific model, and there is no widespread information regarding the correct cables, and no information that I can find at all on the Thermaltake website. Whatever you do, do not use cables from some other unit with that one. Even if the plug and socket LOOK the same, at the PSU end of the cable, it does not mean that they have the same pinout. Identical sockets and plugs can have different pinouts, meaning that a wire in position 1 or 2 or 3, etc., on one unit, might carry power while the same looking connector from a different unit might be completely different and using one with another could result in frying something or lots of things.

You want to get a replacement cable specifically intended for use with THAT particular unit or at least with that specific series, AND the regionally specific model, because again there COULD be differences there too. A Toughpower grand model in the US might not be the same as a Toughpower grand model in Russia, or elsewhere in Europe, or in the UK. Honestly, I don't know enough about THAT specific unit or the variety of possible pinouts out there to say definitely that this or that cable would be right, so it is probably best that you locate one that specifically says it is for your unit AND you are probably going to end up buying an entire set unless you can find one on Ebay or some kind of similar online retailer that has individual cables for that unit available. You might be able to locate just a single PCIe power cable for that unit if you buy a custom sleeved one too. Those are usually available both in sets and individually.

Reactions: Chargingboat

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
You are going to need to probably contact Thermaltake on that one. That is a region specific model, and there is no widespread information regarding the correct cables, and no information that I can find at all on the Thermaltake website. Whatever you do, do not use cables from some other unit with that one. Even if the plug and socket LOOK the same, at the PSU end of the cable, it does not mean that they have the same pinout. Identical sockets and plugs can have different pinouts, meaning that a wire in position 1 or 2 or 3, etc., on one unit, might carry power while the same looking connector from a different unit might be completely different and using one with another could result in frying something or lots of things.

You want to get a replacement cable specifically intended for use with THAT particular unit or at least with that specific series, AND the regionally specific model, because again there COULD be differences there too. A Toughpower grand model in the US might not be the same as a Toughpower grand model in Russia, or elsewhere in Europe, or in the UK. Honestly, I don't know enough about THAT specific unit or the variety of possible pinouts out there to say definitely that this or that cable would be right, so it is probably best that you locate one that specifically says it is for your unit AND you are probably going to end up buying an entire set unless you can find one on Ebay or some kind of similar online retailer that has individual cables for that unit available. You might be able to locate just a single PCIe power cable for that unit if you buy a custom sleeved one too. Those are usually available both in sets and individually.
So basically I cant just buy an extra 8 pin cable to connect to my psu like this https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Express-Power-Extension-Durable/dp/B07RW7FQZN for my system cause it will turn into the 4th of July? Gotcha guess I need to do research or buy a new psu ):

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Just got an idea which is that I already have one OEM 8 pin already going into my 1080 ti which means can i get an 8 pin adapter splitter that connects to the end of my OEM wire to split it into 2? Or does that not exist? Or is that the exact same situation with the bricking your computer subject? If this idea is actually valid can you find a wire that does what im thinking please?😊😋

:edit found a wire https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Express-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B07611QXG4 but I'm still waiting for you to say if it doesnt change the fact that it could brick my system

Last edited:
They exist, but they are a very bad idea. You'll be pulling double off that circuit than what it was specifically intended to handle. Again, fireworks, or if not, just problems in general. If you can't source the correct second cable for your empty PCI socket then getting a new PSU would be the better option. Don't use any of those adapters that allow you to pull 300w from a socket that was designed for only 150w. If that unit was designed to provide 300w from that single plug, it would have come with a cable already configured to do that.

It's a good way to ruin something, and will cost you a lot more in the long run than a new PSU would cost, or a proper cable.

Looking at reviews of that unit, it is likely that it is VERY old. That model has not been sold for a number of years and is probably around 8-11 years old. Not only is finding replacement cables for a unit that old likely to be very hard if not impossible, it's probably a bad idea anyhow. Any unit that old should be retired ESPECIALLY when we are talking about using it with a thousand dollar graphics card. Get a new unit. Don't mess around and take chances with your very expensive hardware.

Find something in the 750-850w range from among the models I've listed as recommended in my thread here:

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
They exist, but they are a very bad idea. You'll be pulling double off that circuit than what it was specifically intended to handle. Again, fireworks, or if not, just problems in general. If you can't source the correct second cable for your empty PCI socket then getting a new PSU would be the better option. Don't use any of those adapters that allow you to pull 300w from a socket that was designed for only 150w. If that unit was designed to provide 300w from that single plug, it would have come with a cable already configured to do that.

It's a good way to ruin something, and will cost you a lot more in the long run than a new PSU would cost, or a proper cable.

Looking at reviews of that unit, it is likely that it is VERY old. That model has not been sold for a number of years and is probably around 8-11 years old. Not only is finding replacement cables for a unit that old likely to be very hard if not impossible, it's probably a bad idea anyhow. Any unit that old should be retired ESPECIALLY when we are talking about using it with a thousand dollar graphics card. Get a new unit. Don't mess around and take chances with your very expensive hardware.

Find something in the 750-850w range from among the models I've listed as recommended in my thread here:

Hey! I think I found a cable that might work cause the cable looks spot on the same and it appears to be from the same series as my psu and if you scroll down in the link it even shows the psu it works with and it looks nearly completely identical to the psu I have now https://www.moddiy.com/products/Thermaltake-Thoughpower-Modular-PSU-Sleeved-PCIe-8%2dPin-to-6%2b2%2dPin-Cable.html
And so is there any way you or I can verify it will work?

:edit also found this https://www.amazon.com/DGSUS-Replacement-Graphics-Thermaltake-Toughpower/dp/B07NTLSHNB it appears to be labeled to be exclusive to my series of psu and it even says my model on the list its compatible with which is a toughpower 1200A

Last edited:
Yes, that cable from MODDIY looks to be right although as I said before, that is a very old unit. Even if YOU haven't had it for long, IT has been around a long time. No way that unit is any less than five years old and those units only carried a 5 year warranty to begin with. Since it is PROBABLY more like 8-9 years old, based on the dates of the first and last reviews for it, the most recent of which was in 2010 with the earliest being in 2008, and the fact that they haven't been available new at all since about 2013 which means it would have to be at least 6 years old, it's a very bad idea in MY opinion, to use this unit with your expensive hardware.

You can ignore the advice, but it seems foolish to avoid spending 100 bucks on a suitable, reliable, new power supply to use with your 1200.00 graphics card, not to mention the rest of your hardware, and take a chance that to save 100 bucks you destroy a 1200.00 piece of hardware. And maybe your motherboard as well. It's foolish IMO. But obviously that is up to you.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Yes, that cable from MODDIY looks to be right although as I said before, that is a very old unit. Even if YOU haven't had it for long, IT has been around a long time. No way that unit is any less than five years old and those units only carried a 5 year warranty to begin with. Since it is PROBABLY more like 8-9 years old, based on the dates of the first and last reviews for it, the most recent of which was in 2010 with the earliest being in 2008, and the fact that they haven't been available new at all since about 2013 which means it would have to be at least 6 years old, it's a very bad idea in MY opinion, to use this unit with your expensive hardware.

You can ignore the advice, but it seems foolish to avoid spending 100 bucks on a suitable, reliable, new power supply to use with your 1200.00 graphics card, not to mention the rest of your hardware, and take a chance that to save 100 bucks you destroy a 1200.00 piece of hardware. And maybe your motherboard as well. It's foolish IMO. But obviously that is up to you.

The psu is old but ive seen a ton new reviews that came out in the past 2 years saying they got it in 2008 and they've used it in countless builds and its still working perfectly and also the description states In addition, the Toughpower W0133RU uses industrial grade components with Independent Voltage Circuits for stable output and protection against potential voltage surges. Reliability is ensured with the MTBF of more than 120,000 hours, and it's virtually immune to over voltage, over current, and potential short-circuits And so I think I can trust it to not fry my parts easily but back to the topic I'm 99% sure i found the cord I need to buy which was in the link but I noticed in the picture of the item the tip that plugs into my psu V4 pcie slot is red but my V4 pcie slots on my psu are blue and the one 8 pin cord i already have is blue too and so idk if it's just a cosmetic thing or what? Cause I did notice on other pics the exact same model it had all red V4 and V3 slots which I'm guessing is cause it's an older or newer version idk but my V4 pcie slots are all blue and my V3 are red and so basically what im asking is even though on the other versions I've seen the v4 is red but on the one I have my v4 is blue so does the color mean anything? Cause on the red version the sticker showing which slots are V4 and V3 it shows the V4 slots being blue and the V3 being red on the sticker but the V4 slots and V3 are actually all red on the psu under the sticker but the sticker on my psu also shows my V4 slots as being blue and the V3 being red but the V4 slots are actually blue like the sticker shows

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @Darkbreeze . I would suggest directly contacting ThermalTake to see if they sell a kit of cable. I am actually surprised they don't as I know you can buy additional or custom sleeved cables from Corsair directly that are matched to work with whatever PSU you have.

If you cannot get an OEM cable I would not go with after market as there is no guarantee the cable will work or not cause issues and a new PSU would be the better route to go.

Yeah, well I've seen people ride around on a temporary "doughnut" tire for weeks on end too, with no thought of replacing it with a real tire because it is the proper, safe thing to do. Those people will end up in a ditch somewhere.

Unfortunately, I can't continue this conversation regarding the replacement of the cable because it goes against what I know to be good advice to do so. Sorry. I do hope you have the best of luck and that nothing bad happens to your hardware because you listened to the advice of online idiots. The same people that will tell you that it is fine to use a Hyper 212 EVO to overclock a 9900KS or that you can use gasoline to wash your motherboard.

Do you have an extra 6-pin GPU cable for your power supply?
You COULD get a 6 to 8 pin adapter and use that. HOWEVER, if your graphics card ever tries to pull more than 75W on that 6-pin side it may cause some of the aforementioned issues (sparks, fried equipment, etc.).

logainofhades

Titan
Reactions: Darkbreeze

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Yes, that cable from MODDIY looks to be right although as I said before, that is a very old unit. Eve
Yeah, well I've seen people ride around on a temporary "doughnut" tire for weeks on end too, with no thought of replacing it with a real tire because it is the proper, safe thing to do. Those people will end up in a ditch somewhere.

Unfortunately, I can't continue this conversation regarding the replacement of the cable because it goes against what I know to be good advice to do so. Sorry. I do hope you have the best of luck and that nothing bad happens to your hardware because you listened to the advice of online idiots. The same people that will tell you that it is fine to use a Hyper 212 EVO to overclock a 9900KS or that you can use gasoline to wash your motherboard.

n if YOU haven't had it for long, IT has been around a long time. No way that unit is any less than five years old and those units only carried a 5 year warranty to begin with. Since it is PROBABLY more like 8-9 years old, based on the dates of the first and last reviews for it, the most recent of which was in 2010 with the earliest being in 2008, and the fact that they haven't been available new at all since about 2013 which means it would have to be at least 6 years old, it's a very bad idea in MY opinion, to use this unit with your expensive hardware.

Do you have an extra 6-pin GPU cable for your power supply?
You COULD get a 6 to 8 pin adapter and use that. HOWEVER, if your graphics card ever tries to pull more than 75W on that 6-pin side it may cause some of the aforementioned issues (sparks, fried equipment, etc.).
i do have an extra 6 pin cable but if i use an adapter im using it for an 8 pin and an 8 pin naturally draws more than 75 correct? or am i missing something? cause if an 8 pin is running at 75 it will not fully power an 2080 ti correct?

Again, it's a bad idea, even with the RIGHT cable. If you are GOING to do it, then get the correct cable, through Thermaltake, if you can, if not, get the one from MODDIY, but I STRONGLY advise against it. It is simply begging for your 1200.00 graphics card to be ruined. Believe me, I could show you fifty threads just like yours that ended in tears.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
Again, it's a bad idea, even with the RIGHT cable. If you are GOING to do it, then get the correct cable, through Thermaltake, if you can, if not, get the one from MODDIY, but I STRONGLY advise against it. It is simply begging for your 1200.00 graphics card to be ruined. Believe me, I could show you fifty threads just like yours that ended in tears.
the psu has been powering a 1080 ti since it came out so i think it has 0 problems lol

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
Do you want to start a fire, because using those adapters are a great way to do it. I do not get why people can spend hundreds, or in his case $1200, on a graphics card, but buying a $125 PSU is just asking too much. Think all you want, you are still wrong.

the psu has been powering a 1080 ti since it came out so i think it has 0 problems lol

You are missing the point. He said to not use an adapter even with the correct cables:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/c4p532/never_cheap_out_on_power_delivery_6_to_8_pin/

Thats something that could happen. Its best to use parts designed for it. Its simple enough to email ThermalTake if you don't want to spend the money on a new PSU and do it right.

Why would you even risk messing with something that can do anything from die to start a fire and burn your PC and house down? The rule is never cheap out on a PSU and always do it right.

Chargingboat

Prominent
Nov 4, 2019
You are missing the point. He said to not use an adapter even with the correct cables:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/c4p532/never_cheap_out_on_power_delivery_6_to_8_pin/

Thats something that could happen. Its best to use parts designed for it. Its simple enough to email ThermalTake if you don't want to spend the money on a new PSU and do it right.

Why would you even risk messing with something that can do anything from die to start a fire and burn your PC and house down? The rule is never cheap out on a PSU and always do it right.
when he said the right cable i naturally assumed he meant the right cable that shipped with it meaning that the psu is so unstable that the right cable wouldn't even work

TRENDING THREADS