Question PSU works on 4 pins but not 8 pins

Nov 21, 2019
Hi guys,
Last year my house area have a lightning strike and my house affect it as well (includes my PC)

It can't be turn on after that, only fan and gpu fan are spinning
Try to swap from B450 DS3H to A320K-M to check whether the board is the problem and my PC works fine after that. (B450 DS3H sent for warranty)
After few while I bought a B450 Aorus Pro, try change it and it happens exactly like my B450 DS3H after the lightning and I thought maybe I got the defect unit for the aorus pro.

Got my b450 ds3h back from warranty, still not working, ask the shop who build the PC for me (they help me for the warranty purpose) to test it with their thing, they said works well.
Change back to A320K as it's the only motherboard I can use right now

I can't go back to the shop as I'm away ( and a bit busy to check what is the real problem) but I assume my PSU is damaged and has not enough power as it's work with motherboard that requires 4pin cpu connector but not with 8pin

Is it possible that my PSU is problem?

Spec
R5 2600
GSkill 3000mhz
Rtx 2060
FSP 600w

Hi guys,
Last year my house area have a lightning strike and my house affect it as well (includes my PC)

It can't be turn on after that, only fan and gpu fan are spinning
Try to swap from B450 DS3H to A320K-M to check whether the board is the problem and my PC works fine after that. (B450 DS3H sent for warranty)
After few while I bought a B450 Aorus Pro, try change it and it happens exactly like my B450 DS3H after the lightning and I thought maybe I got the defect unit for the aorus pro.

Got my b450 ds3h back from warranty, still not working, ask the shop who build the PC for me (they help me for the warranty purpose) to test it with their thing, they said works well.
Change back to A320K as it's the only motherboard I can use right now

I can't go back to the shop as I'm away ( and a bit busy to check what is the real problem) but I assume my PSU is damaged and has not enough power as it's work with motherboard that requires 4pin cpu connector but not with 8pin

Is it possible that my PSU is problem?

Spec
R5 2600
GSkill 3000mhz
Rtx 2060
FSP 600w
It is possible that your PSU was damaged. I would actually say that after a lightning strike the PSU going bad would be normal since it is connected directed directly to the outlet. If you can try changing out the PSU I would do that and if you have the money to pay for it go with a 550-650W Corsair RXM, EVGA G3, or Seasonic Focus Plus or Seasonic Focus GX.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
you should buy a surge protector with high joule rating , an get a higher quality PSU , just checked out the fsp dagger review seems like that unit has cheaped out and left out the MOV in the EMI/transient filter stage which means if a voltage spike coming from the power grid happens it could permanently damage not only the PSU, but also your system.

I n your condition with lightning causing power surges you need a quality surge protector and a well protected PSU