Question PSU

Feb 27, 2019
Hey,
I just bought RX 580 nitro+ 4 GB and I have 400W power block and I actually dont know if it will work fine
My others specs:
i5-4570
2x4GB of RAM
400W CODEGEN PSU

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
400W would be on the low output side for an RX580 if this were a quality 400W PSU. This is most assuredly not a quality 400W power supply, but one that's firmly in the garbage tier; Codegen is one of the most notorious purveyors of ancient, low-quality power supplies.

And really, it's like not even a garbage 400W power supply, but more likely a garbage 200-250W power supply. The +12V rail in all the Codegen 400W PSUs I've had the misfortune to run into have been between 14A and 20A, meaning that these are actually 168W-240W PSUs in the modern sense.

Low-quality power supplies with old group-regulated designs typically get a lot of their claimed wattage by having beefy +3.3V and +5V rails. That mattered in 1997. But modern CPUs and GPUs all care about the +12V rail.

So no, do not use this power supply under any circumstances, with this GPU. This isn't a mediocre Corsair VS "can I use this for a couple of weeks before my quality one arrives" PSU. This is one that you give to your local recycling center.