Question PSU's 12V rail running at only 8.8V. Is it normal?

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
12v.jpg

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is likely an incorrect reading. If any of your rails fall outside of +/- 5%, it needs replacing, but that low would likely cause obvious issues.
What is your PSU make and model?

I tend to use HWInfo and it tends to give better readings. Using a multimeter to test the rails is also an option, but this only covers voltages at idle.

Reactions: Veloci

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
I'm sorry, I should've mentioned the specs earlier.

Casing: TFX Stone.
CPU: Intel i5 650.
Motherboard: Intel DH55TC.
PSU: FSP 300-60GHT (85+ Bronze).

PSU.png

The PC has no GPU. The only expansion card it currently has is a network card (Don't know what they are called).

I can't check it with a voltmeter as it's an office PC!

Thanks!

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Most offices/businesses take a dim view of employees working on or otherwise tinkering with company devices.

That's the problem! And since I work in a small educational institution, there's no I.T department or even an I.T guy! When something breaks, they just buy us a new one! They have no regard for preventive maintenance.

In any case; I'll buy a PSU tester and see what it says. I always wanted to buy one, but never had a good reason, until now...

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

Do post what tester you purchase or are considering to purchase. Someone else following this thread may comment accordingly.

In any case do be very careful and do some reading and planning before you start testing.

Use the tester safely.

Ensure that you understand what the tester does and does not indicate.

Be thorough and work to confirm any given problem before "fixing".

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks, mate!

I'm thinking about ordering this from AliExpress:
PSU Tester - AliExpress

Video tutorial / review:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcmp2EkYA0

It's quite cheap and seems to be rather accurate. But do let me know if you've other suggestions.
These are quite good actually, you'll want one that can actually read individual voltages as that one does - but I would say don't expect it to last forever!
It will certainly help clarify the issue you are encountering, just be wary for future reference that the PSU testers don't guarantee if the PSU is working or not. They just look for something obviously wrong, and if they pass, doesn't mean they are OK, but if they fail, it definitely means there is a problem.

The other side of the PSU testers to consider is they only check voltages at idle, whereas many PSUs throw out problems when itself or other components are put under load. So a PSU tester can pass a PSU normally in this scenario, but once the PSU comes under load back in the system, it's voltages start fluctuating for example.

They are great and handy tools, just come with their precautions.

Ralston18

Titan
Not familiar with that tester. However, at that price, very likely low end quality.

Plus, if you look at the enlarged photo showing the ports the SATA connection is out of alignment - likely cosmetic but clearly not showing their "best".

Look for other similar testers - especially those with high ratings from professional reviewers and verified purchasers.

A poor tester will provide poor and misleading results. And may "pass" an unacceptable PSU.

Once you identify a couple of candidate testers visit the manufacturer's websites. Read the tester's User Guides and Manuals. Check site FAQs and Forums (if any). Look for what is both said and unsaid.