[SOLVED] "PSU's cant cause freezes"

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi all,

I was told "PSU's cant cause freezes". Basically advised a PSU either works or doesnt work, nothing in between. If the PC fires up and runs, PSU is fine. If it doesnt start at all, PSU is gone. Nothing in between that. Im not sure what to think of that? Whether this is true or not?

Can a PSU really cause freezing randomly on the odd occasion if it has some fault? Or not?

Interested to hear what people think & their views on this.

Solution
That's complete BS. Of course a PSU can cause freezing. We see it every day.

Any problem that can be caused by ANY hardware component, can be caused by the power supply, because ALL hardware components NEED the power supply to provide clean, stable power, in sufficient capacity, in order to work correctly.

If the voltage drops to say, 11.2v (Normal acceptable range is generally from 11.6-12.2v, with something closer to 11.9-12.0v being much preferred) it could cause a storage device to flake out, and freeze the system, or a memory error, or anything really.

The idea that a PSU either "works or doesn't" is at best asinine, at worst, complete idiocy or maybe even criminally negligent trolling. My bet would be world class cluelessness.

Any problem that can be caused by ANY hardware component, can be caused by the power supply, because ALL hardware components NEED the power supply to provide clean, stable power, in sufficient capacity, in order to work correctly.

If the voltage drops to say, 11.2v (Normal acceptable range is generally from 11.6-12.2v, with something closer to 11.9-12.0v being much preferred) it could cause a storage device to flake out, and freeze the system, or a memory error, or anything really.

The idea that a PSU either "works or doesn't" is at best asinine, at worst, complete idiocy or maybe even criminally negligent trolling. My bet would be world class cluelessness.

Solution

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

I'd advise not listening to this person's advice in the future.

(Your friend, that is. You ought to always listen to DB's advice).

Thank you both very much.