[SOLVED] PSU's keep blowing

Oct 6, 2019
Hello.
Im experiencing som issues with PSU's that keep dying on me.
Last week I came home from vacation to find my PC would not start. The PC had been turned off before leaving but obviously not unplugged from the wall socket. I determined the issue to be with the PSU. It would run when being kickstarted with a paperclip, but as soon as it was placed under any load it would turn itself off. I then went ahead and replaced the PSU, after which the PC worked fine for about a week before dieing on me again last night. Again this happened while the PC was turned off but this time the fuse in my home had blown too. I have removed the PSU from my PC, but connecting it to power on its own results in a blown fuse. I do not believe the issue occured while power on the PC as just switching on the PSU while disconnected from the PC will cause the fuse to blow.

The fact that this happens while the PC is turned off leads me to suspect an ouside source rather than any of my other PC components causing this issue.

The PC was originally built in 2013, but all components apart from the first PSU and the SSD was replaced november 2017. It has since been in almost daily use without any further modification, so I don't think I could have caused any shorts inside the case.

Any and all tips are greatly welcomed

Edit: The first PSU was a Corsair RM750, the second PSU was an XFX PRO850W

Last edited:
Solution
The PC was turned off, but the on/off switch on the back of the PSU was on.

Ok. So if there was a massive surge and no surge strip or UPS to protect it, it's going to blow up the PSU.

This is also only happening to a single machine, a laptop connected on the same circuit has not experienced any issues. Other machines on other circuits are not affected either.

A laptop is completely different from a desktop. Although a surge could damage a power brick for a laptop the same way.

As this happens even when the PC is turned off (even though the switch on the back of the PSU is on), is it safe to assume this is not caused by any of the other components in my PC?

No idea. Depends on what's happening and none of...
The fact that this happens while the PC is turned off leads me to suspect an ouside source rather than any of my other PC components causing this issue.

Was the PSU actually "off" or was the PC jsut shut down in Windows? Because, if a PC is just shut down in Windows, the PSU isn't actually off.

If your mains are so bad that they're blowing fuses in the house and killing PSUs, you should really have an electrician come and fix your problems.

In the meantime, buy a nice UPS.

Oct 6, 2019
Was the PSU actually "off" or was the PC jsut shut down in Windows? Because, if a PC is just shut down in Windows, the PSU isn't actually off.

If your mains are so bad that they're blowing fuses in the house and killing PSUs, you should really have an electrician come and fix your problems.

In the meantime, buy a nice UPS.

The mains arent just blowing fuses here randomly. This only occurs when I connect the 2nd replacement PSU.
This is the first time an issue like this has occured in 17 years of living in this house, but I guess circumstances may have changed. Only other time I can remember a fuse going here was when the old water heater was failing many years back.

This is also only happening to a single machine, a laptop connected on the same circuit has not experienced any issues. Other machines on other circuits are not affected either.

As this happens even when the PC is turned off (even though the switch on the back of the PSU is on), is it safe to assume this is not caused by any of the other components in my PC?

Ok. So if there was a massive surge and no surge strip or UPS to protect it, it's going to blow up the PSU.

A laptop is completely different from a desktop. Although a surge could damage a power brick for a laptop the same way.

No idea. Depends on what's happening and none of us know why this is happening.

Is the outlet that you're plugging the PC in properly earth grounded?

The fuse and MOV in a power supply is useless if it doesn't have an earth ground.

Solution