[SOLVED] PSU's keep dying

Swi1ch

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
Hi all, my current system is becoming a PSU graveyard and i'm not sure where to go from here.

Specs:
i7 4790k stock (Never got around to OC'ing it)
Corsair H105
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
16GB HyperX RAM
MSI GTX980
Lamptron hardware fan controller

PSU #1: EVGA 850 G2
PSU #2: EVGA 750 GQ
PSU #3: Corsair CX750

Timeline of events:

April 2018: My PC starts losing power randomly. No BSOD, no shutdown sequence, no warning of any kind. As far as I could tell, the power losses were completely random; sometimes it would drop a couple minutes after booting, sometimes I would go a week with no issue. All temperatures and usage seemed more than fine. Nothing in the event viewers logs other than a generic Kernel Power 61 error. After a couple of weeks, the PSU started making noises that no PSU should ever make, so I replaced it, and everything seemed fine.

Three weeks ago: Same thing started to happen again. Randomly dropping power, no BSODs, no error message, no warnings. Seemed a huge coincidence but I had stuff to do so change the PSU.

Last week: Same thing happened again with a two week old PSU. I found mention somewhere that USB ports could possibly pull too much power, so I disconnected my cases' front panel USB hub. The machine successfully idled without fail for two days, then yesterday morning I booted it, it was on for maybe 30 seconds before shutting off, and it won't boot again.

During this time I have tried using the machine from different wall outlets, and I have tested the wall outlets and they all seem fine. I popped the CMOS to reset it, tried each RAM stick independently, tried booting without my GPU installed. Tried different cables, reseated everything etc. The lights on my motherboard are lit up when a power supply is connected, but trying to boot just produces an audible click and nothing else.

I don't know what to try next. PSU #1 i'm not plugging in under any circumstances, and PSU #3 appears to be totally dead. PSU #2 might still have some life in it but in the current situation it doesn't look as if it will last long if I power it up with this machine. I don't have an alternate machine to test the PSUs on, and my friends won't let me anywhere near their rigs with my cursed power supplies.

Any suggestions?

Solution

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Most likely you have a electrical issue in your home if that many supplies are failing. I would try a good quality UPS connected to the system to see if that helps. I really doubt anything in your system is killing the power supplies unless your system is drawing more wattage than your power supply is rated for but your config looks fine for 750 / 850 watt supply.

Swi1ch

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016

I did test the sockets and the tester didn't report any issues. Could there be something that they don't detect? (I don't know squat about electrics).

I can't even begin to afford a decent UPS right now. Would a decent surge protector help any?

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Power surges (higher than normal) voltage isin't good for electronics. A plug in tester basically reads if the voltage is within an adequate range, and checks for correct wiring polarity and ground connection, that's about it. You could have power surges or a really noisy power circuit in your home. Like I say, I would try to install a UPS on the system and see if that helps. Your "dead" power supplies most likely just have a blown fuse. It shouldn't to difficult to open it up and check to see if the fuse is open.

Swi1ch

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016

My understanding of a blown fuse would mean the device wouldn't function at all. All three of these power supplies would cut power randomly many, many times (Probably at least 50 for the first two and at least 25 for the final one) which should rule out a blown fuse? (I could be totally wrong on this).

Oh also, if it was a home electrical issue, wouldn't my other stuff be dead? I've got 10 or so devices in this room and no issues with any of them.

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

Yes and no with the supposed electrical issue. Computer components are a little more susceptible to voltage problems, a refrigerator will be more tolerable to voltage fluctuations than a computer component. Im just offering assistance / suggestions. I think a UPS is almost a requirement for any sensitive, expensive piece of electronic equipment.

Don't know if your home has electrical issues, but several bad power supplies is not common. Do what you think is best. If you want to replace the mobo and start again like the previous post suggests please go ahead, it could be, maybe or not.

Solution