Question PSUs with monitoring software ?

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
With the upcoming video cards rumoured to have ridiculous power draws I'm starting to look into a new PSU to replace my long serving Corsair ax760i and I'd really like to get something with a similar feature set, but more power. So specifically 1000W (or more), digital, linked to PC with accompanying Windows software for voltage/temp monitoring.

Besides Corsair (obviously) I've found ThermalTake are doing something similar with their ToughPower iRGB Plus line : https://dps.thermaltake.com/en/feed/index

Frankly, I'd buy another Corsair over ThermalTake but I'm looking for alternatives. I know I saw a couple other PSUs that included Windows monitoring software over the last couple years but I haven't been able to find them again. So I'm not sure if they've vanished from the market or I'm just googling badly :) So has anyone seen any that I've missed?

It's a pity the PSU database here doesn't have a column for monitoring software , or maybe just "added extras".

Lutfij

Titan
You could look at the Asus ROG lineup(which is a rebranded Seasonic unit with a couple of extra bells and whistles) whereby the monitoring happens on the side of the unit, provided your case has a full see through side panel. Frankly, I'd avoid buying a PSU now and wait and see what the next generation of hardware are going to demand from PSU's and their ilk.

In defense of why something might not be seen on a list or thread, here, often times niche aspects of a component are left unsaid or rather forgotten to be mentioned since the majority of the people looking into a PSU list are here for a quality unit, not for what color the unit is or what the venting stylization is on said questioned unit. It's why you need to corroborate with other lists to come to the conclusion that XYZ PSU is the right purchase moving forward.

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
The Asus isn't on my list because it only hits one of the three criteria. I specifically want to be able to monitor temps and voltage on screen not climbing under a desk. And in an ideal world it'd be able to do logging as well. The ThermalTake does at least basic logging. So does the Corsair but it's pretty clunky to use.

Obviously I'm not planning to buy now but I'm starting research now. I'd like to be able to buy a PSU with full PCIe5 compliance but that doesn't mean I can't flag interesting product lines and keep an eye on them.

As for the DB, well colour of the unit is pretty much irrelevant to performance. But a feature like link software or being digital is. They're not just "style" related they're fundamental (but extra) features. It's just a little surprising the PSU DB has so much other information but not that. And just a note, I'm not disparaging the DB, it's just an observation.

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
Oh and I'm pretty sure NZXT was one of the others I was thinking about. I'm sure I remember seeing something about one of their PSUs and their "CAM" software. But I can't find it.

edit: Found it https://nzxt.com/product/e850

I also know Be Quiet has a Dark Power 12 Pro range that is digital but I don't think it has software monitoring.

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
lol not looking for alternatives is a good way to miss out on new developments and possibly better options. I'd much rather see them so I can at least consider them.

And the HXi series aren't digital. And even worse they no longer seem to be listed on the Corsair site when you choose "All PSUs". The HX series is but not the HXi. It looks like those pages have been archived. So I'd guess they've gone EOL.

As for the Dark Power Pro as I mentioned above it doesn't appear to have software monitoring. So while you get the (hopefully) improved power quality from being digital you can't monitor it.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
No alternatives to Corsair RM-i/HX-i really. Corsair iCUE has HWiNFO support so you can have logging, i don't think Thermaltake options or NZXT E do. Gigabyte AP-PM is another possible option but there are zero reviews on it, and honestly, i don't even consider them after how they handled the P-GM situation.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
Thanks for that I wasn't aware Gigabyte had one. It's a bit over the top (no need for the LCD) and it's unclear whether the design is actually digital (like Corsair's), hybrid (like Be Quiet) or not. I'm guessing it's maybe Hybrid. Pity they spend more time talking about the LCD than the actual guts of the PSU.

Skrybe

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
That review looks amazingly in depth. Just wish I could actually read it. It raises some questions when I look at the pictures, that I'm sure were actually addressed in the review. Some of those temperature shots with FLIR were concerning.