[SOLVED] PSUs: XPG Pylon vs Be Quiet U9

hqnet

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Hi guys,

I know this kind of question is asked ad-nauseam around here, but given the few available choices in Latam and that I haven't found real world comments about this particular comparison I decided to ask which one of these two options you would pick

- XPG Pylon 650W

- Be Quiet U9 700W

This is not a power hungry gaming rig, what I mostly deal with are VMs of all kinds.

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450 mobo
  • nVidia GT 1030
  • 2 x 16 GB DDR sticks
  • 2 SSDs
  • 1 7200 RPM HDD
  • 2 or 3 coolers (non-ARGB)
I intend to build a rather quiet system (thus a passively cooled 1030)

After ruling out all of these...:
  • The very best PSUs, which are either out my budget or unavailable in the region.
  • TTs for reviews of noisy fans.
  • Corsairs VS600 and CV's for mixed reviews.
  • Cooler Master MWE V2 for "high ripple issues on very low load also resulting in increased coil whine" (src: PSU Tier list).
  • Seasonic A12 for being Tier D (src: PSU Tier list).
... I've narrowed down my list to the mentioned two.

These reviews where also important to my selection:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/adata-xpg-pylon-750-w/12.html (*1)

https://www.eteknix.com/be-quiet-pure-power-9-700w-power-supply-review/2/ (_)

https://www.kitguru.net/components/.../be-quiet-system-power-u9-700w-psu-review/12/ (*2)

I believe I might get away with a 500W unit, but given that either one will be very expensive to me anyway I might as well get one with a more future-proof potential...

As mentioned, I don't intend to buy a PSU to power a high demand graphics card, instead I am looking for a PSU that will be quiet AND I that I can stay rather confident taht it will not blow up and fry the whole system.

(*1) Interestingly in the XPG review's test it is ranked very close to the be quiet U9 (notice the next comment regarding the "U").

(*2) I should mention that the review if for the "U" model which the review claims is 110v only, yet the units advertised here, where 220v is the norm, claim to be "U" models. That makes me a bit concerned about them being fakes... Buyer's comments are positive though.

The be quiet 9 series seems to be rather old? Should I consider that?

Ok, so I tried to do my homework, hope you can share some thoughts and help me make the best choice.

Thanks in advance!
HQ

PS: Ugh... I failed to see there is a PSU specific forum, feel free to move this question there. My apologies.

Last edited:
Solution
To be fair, you've done really good research, weirdly enough, in this situation, I think you may actually be overthinking it a bit.

Being as your system as you've stated is not due to be used for higher loads, or much extensive work, then frankly anything from the XPG, U9, CV, MWE V2 would be perfectly suitable. I would however stick to current models, not the U9, although out of all of them, it very likely will be the quietest.

Ultimately they're budget options and they're all not fantastic PSUs, but when your system doesn't really need them to be, it's not so much an issue. Point being all the ones you've stated aren't fire hazards.

I will say however the middle link you've provided is not the same PSU, and is a Pure Power 9.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
To be fair, you've done really good research, weirdly enough, in this situation, I think you may actually be overthinking it a bit.

Being as your system as you've stated is not due to be used for higher loads, or much extensive work, then frankly anything from the XPG, U9, CV, MWE V2 would be perfectly suitable. I would however stick to current models, not the U9, although out of all of them, it very likely will be the quietest.

Ultimately they're budget options and they're all not fantastic PSUs, but when your system doesn't really need them to be, it's not so much an issue. Point being all the ones you've stated aren't fire hazards.

I will say however the middle link you've provided is not the same PSU, and is a Pure Power 9.

Solution

hqnet

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks PC Tailor,

Good catch there with the middle link!
Actually I had read dhe third one first and then looking for one of the "non-U" model got the 2nd and didn' t realize it was for a "Pure Power 9" and not "System Power 9" (man, these naming schemes drive insane!).

I reckon I'm debating between what I perceive as a "safer" one and a "quieter" one. I kinda need to find something that breaks the tie for me :) ...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I reckon I'm debating between what I perceive as a "safer" one and a "quieter" one. I kinda need to find something that breaks the tie for me :) ...
And I guess my answer would be, as far as safer, they will all be about the same. Quieter, slightly different. Generally the be quiets are made more with that in mind. Just getting old models is not so recommended. If it's all the options you have, then there shouldn't be a big harm.

Really for quiet, you want the higher budget models MADE to be quiet. For example a Corsair TXM whilst and excellent PSU, if people want quieter, should really opt for the RMx. But then it falls further beyond peoples budgets.

Many PSUs might prioritise one over the other.

GoboII

Prominent
Jun 5, 2021
VSes and CVs are immediate no-nos. Group regulation is not something you should be considering in a build nowadays if it can be helped.
Between the SP U9 and the XPG Pylon, I'm inclined to recommend the Pylon. Both have 3-year warranties, a Double-Forward topology, and functional protections; however, the XPG Pylon's fan should have a bit more longevity thanks to using a fluid-dynamic bearing as supposed to the U9's sleeve bearing. Regardless, well done with doing your own research, and I wish you luck with your build