Psycho rider Radbox project

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm still rather disappointed that those Watercool or Admiral rads never made it to market when they claimed such high performance on hype. A valid successor to the Monsta rads would be great, but there hasn't been much outside the Aquacomputer Airplex's and even those are under attack from legal issues.

Sorry- back to the issue at hand. If you were wanting to produce a pedestal box, you could always look into stringing together several cores and tubes as well as building a pump into the box and setting up in/out ports for simple connection. You would definitely want to promote turbulent over laminar flow and narrow tubes like a watercooling rad or heater core would help promote this:

iain1.gif

Normal copper tubing would promote laminar flow, so you'd definitely have to get creative, unless you had a lot of pipe that would dramatically increase surface-to-air ratio conducive to cooling cost/performance.

Moto,

Nice bikes!

Your brown tabby looks identical to ours, she actually owns the house and allows us to live there, feed her, change the poop and pee, and once in a while actually get to pet her, It's a cat thing, I'm sure you're well aware of.

Did the UV lights come with the T-Virus res, or bought separately?

I'm really looking forward to seeing your end setup, and how you mount and position your radiators. Ry

Taz is my soulmate, he's an awesome person, although Moya is the ruler of the house, she is rarely willing to be photographed (diva) and Pirate (The dread pirate roberts actually is his full name, and the reason we adopted him:p) is our mad kitten
The Big bikes mine, the little 125 is the other halfs,
and I laid out the radplan in here, page three I think,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=311860&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
U.V. Cathodes came with the T-viruses
Moto

Our brown tabby that looks like Taz, her name is Dixie we should have named her either Grumpy or Intimidator, because her normal communication seems to be growling and hissing it's very rare for her to meow, but she does seem to get her way over the other cats.

As far as the cat family is concerned she is more like a Tiger, we have her blood sister completely different personality she is solid gray with a white patch from her nose going up between her eyes and 4 white socks.

She is body wise more like a Panther her name is Pixie, and yes we named them for the cartoon characters Pixie & Dixie, which were two mice in the cartoon, we thought it was cute at the time, and that was when they were so small you could let one sleep in each hand.

Pixie and Dixie came from the same litter but have changed so much today with their own personalities it's amazing Pixie has the loudest meow I have ever heard come out of a cat, she could almost crack glass with it.

Our third cat Rambo we got as an orphan to a fine lady that died in an assisted living home, my wife is a nurse there, and the woman asked her if she would look after him when she died, and she did and he is now a member of our family.

Originally his name was Whiskers, but after 20 solid minutes trying to get that cat into a cat carrier to take him to the vets office, I changed his name to Rambo!

Like Pixie he is solid gray with the same white face stripe and 3 white socks and one gray, his body build is more like a lion and he needed to have a lions mentality, to survive in this house with these established female felines.

For the first 2 months it was hell, my wife and I thought they would never get along fighting every single day, and now they all seem to love each other, finally!

I'm sorry for this thread Hi-Jack Moto, but it's rare to find a fellow cat lover Thanks for listening to my rant! Ry

Thinking of upping the game to RX360's, Ex's are good but I'm feeling if I'm doing overkill, I should do OVERKILL!
Wish my desk was big enough that I could've gone for the 480's hehe
inside clearances may be interesting by the time I get pushpull set up,
(I may mount the second fancontroller ready for that anyway)
but whats life if not a challenge? :p
Moto

Might as well make another desk and just put a ton of radiators in it!! :ouch:

Dimensions were wrong,
I could have removed a portion of the support/drawer cabinet but then I'd have lost the removability of the radbox, and for some reason, the ability to modify things in a way so i can put it back to rights is a bugbear for me, I guess that makes me try harder to find ways lol,
rather than just hacking things up I plan so I can undo what I've done if needed

Moto

As always time has revised (improved?) my plans, its nearly payday and I was trawling Egay for some wire and more fabric tape,
I don't care that you can't see the wires in the box, I'm still taping and tidying them up :p
And I'd decided in the meantime anyway that the radbox is going on top of the desk with the Pc on top, leaves my legroom underneath hehe
I found these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250929828186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120789435113?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

So I'm incorporating Washes magic switches into the build now :)
momentary will be run to the powerswitch on the door so both will function (but you know I'll never use the door one again)
and one of the two on/off's will get wired to the fancontroller, (I can turn it off on the panel but I need functions for my switches) and I'll throw a couple of cathodes in the box too, thats a job for the last switch, ( not that I'll ever turn them on hehe)

going for the 14 fans on an 8 channel controller, straight into the pushpull to save messing later and still need to find a couple of grills to filter/cover the fans
but paydays friday so Rads/ pump/res, QDC's and hopefully the blocks will be ordered,
I can get the radbox ready to fit without touching the Rig, but when I need to mod the gfx cards/fit the blocks I will have to strip the rig so maybe a couple of days off work is in order, and lots of photo's for the C.m. tutorial I'm trying to write :)
I love this game hehe
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
1| so you're back in the game :)
2| cablemanagement in the dark, gotta love OCD's :)
3| the flight toggle switch mite be a nightmare as the power delivery to start your mobo is like jumpstarting your car with a dead battery and hot wiring it to a live new battery. all it takes for a mobo to start is a temporary spark/ignite and its off. that toggle switch will def leave the power running - which could prove fatal in your case.

an alternative
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=60_180
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index.php?action=search&keyword=switch&x=0&y=0

Nope, the powerswitch one is momentary, you should know I are smarter than that :p
the other two are full on/off units,
They have to be the style I used to be true to Firefly, so couldn't use the http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=60_180&products_id=1691 style, if I didn't have the ones I chose, I wouldn't be doing the mod, already have a powerbutton and the other two functions are superfluous, I made them up to justify the switches existence, I can't have switches/tubes with no purpose, thats insane to me,
Cheers for the links though,
Ocd can be a gift, not just a curse and I was never out of the game hehe,
I chronically suffer from financial resource deficiency syndrome :p
I need to get it done though, more post-apocalyptic mods in the brain are screaming to get let out hehe
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is motivating me to continue design work on the new water box...I have some good ideas so it doesn't end up weighing so much or being the size of a machine shed.

Nice work- can't wait to see how you use all these components.

I could shave/plane it thinner in sections but I'm happy with the solidity of it now its going on top, and it will help dampen vibration/noise too
if I'd bought the wood I may have gone for thinner sheet, 10-15mm maybe
My problem is I have too many ideas and not enough money hehe
and I dream of a workshop with benchtools or even a dedicated workspace would do :)
Moto
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
My problem is I have too many ideas and not enough money hehe
thas where paper models come into play - or from corrugated board/packing board models and make mockups but also remember the thickness of the material to compensate while cutting the real thing. failed ideas remain on the drawing board or butter paper while the ones that are worthy and well come up to breath the real light of day :)

edit:
those seem to me like they'll help the tight bends in your loop or for the QDC's

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
aren't they inserts for plastic push in connectors/fittings, you can buy then for almost all sizes of tubing, but the real small tubing under 1/4 in ID. with that size you can use copper inserts for the smaller sizes, they are designed the same way, but the reason you do not use copper on the larger fittings is that with the copper insert when placed inside the tubing and pushed into the fitting the connection becomes permanent. with means that will not come apart, I have been using them for years, and made all the wrong chooses in this regard. but learning is half the fun, while building makes up the other half. if you are planning to use push in fittings, these are a must have for the build to prevent the fittings from leaking. am I right?

Some good guesses and ideas there, I'm actually going to use them as turbulence inducer inserts *Tm*
I'll make them so that they disturb the flow inside the loop, probably by cutting/melting them a bit
I saw, found a use for them, and implemented it,
If I had ready money all the time I wouldn't hit half of my crazier ideas :)
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
great idea I use springs for the same purpose found the idea online to, never thought of using the inserts for this purpose. but can see how it would work, the only issue I could see is the traveling factor. meaning that the inserts will migrate to the nearest block, or fitting in the loop following the flow of water. the springs do this to if I do not put them in the center of the tubing with bends on one side or the other, depending on the flow of water to prevent this from happening. hope this helps with the test stage of your project.

I was aware of the possibility of them migrating (much like my killcoils probably have)
But I will put them somewhere that movement is unlikely to occur such as pre-bends, but I will ofc play about once I have them to hand hehe
I do recall thinking the lip on them may be useful as a retaining device though, maybe inserted into barbs with the tubing over them, they won't move then
Moto

TRENDING THREADS