Psycho rider Radbox project

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I was guessing stand offs but was wrong, I never use stuff for what it's actually intended for, (well almost never), I love it when I go shopping for some special brain pop idea and there's some store employee asking if I need help? :lol:

Well what model this or that? No I'm not using it for that!
Well what are you using it for?, maybe I can still help you?
Here it comes > I'm water cooling my computer.
You're What?
I'm water cooling my computer.
Then you get the typical responses.
#1 Well I can't help you with that.
#2 Is that even Possible?
#3 That's interesting what will you be doing with this?
Etc., etc., etc.,

MOTO you are WCOCD, it's an infection going around! :lol:

Turbulence, That gives me an idea!

Wonder what strapping the tubing to a vibrator would do? ;)

Turbulence! :lol:

Don't mind me I'm cracking up tonight! Ry

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

I can't even begin to count how many times I've wandered around a Home Depot, Lowe's or ACE hardware for an hour or 2 looking for all these ideas...and having people chase me around asking these exact questions. Most of the time, I've learned it's much simpler to tell them you are doing OK rather than try to explain everything you are trying to do...and either with tremendous skepticism, or really strange looks. You really get this when you start toting radiators, fans and pumps or reservoirs in with you. 'No, thank you...but I promise I'm not building a bomb, sir.'

Better yet, when you are browsing online for automotive heater cores and misc coolers, as well as sites that carry millions of tubing connectors, manifolds, fittngs, etc. and people at work ask if you are working on a home project or your car needs new parts...'No...this stuff is for a cooling system for my computer.'

Moto- your ideas are giving me ideas to take my upcoming month-long sabattical and book a trip across the pond to work on a collaborative project. :)

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

That would be bad ass as! Some sort of custom lcd fan controller that shows temps/rpm as some variant of a heartbeat monitor to go with it would be cool to.

Totally do-able, you'd have to program it to read every second or so then return to zero, just to give the rise and fall effect associated with monitors, beyond me but easily done
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
Wonder what strapping the tubing to a vibrator would do? ;)

Turbulence! :lol:

there are mad scientists brooding in here! :ouch: and i'm getting ideas as well :) thank you Dr. WCOCD

the people at customs in my country tagged my rad as an automotive engine radiator, when mentioned that i'd watercool my computer they just gazed into my eyes and looked at me from head to toe...then looked at me some more until they giggled and said, "We won't fall for that! This is how much you'lll need to pay as tax." [:lutfij:2]

Few supplies came on the post pony today,

IMAG0465.jpg

The epoxy putty I'll use to weld the shrouds frame to the blocks,
(also note the meccano brackets for supporting the other end)
10X4mm Hss drill bits, because dull bits don't cut very well :p
5m each of red and black 18Awg for molex extension and power button leads
and a roll of my favourite fabric tape,
fancontroller still on route I guess but I'm getting fired up for friday, ordering rads and res/pump, tubing and fittings
maybe the fans as well, have to wait and see.
@Lutfij, you should've gotten Toms up on your phone to prove to them you're a Watercooler :p
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
@Lutfij, you should've gotten Toms up on your phone to prove to them you're a Watercooler
Moto
HA! wish call rates were lower here, oi! does TOM's have a helpline service - or maybe have Rubix, Ryan or you talk to them when i get another shipment of watercooling stuff :) :p

i can't wait to see the cablemanagement on this sucker!

I meant put Toms on your internet on the phone but yeah, I'll be a helpline hehe :p
Cablemanagement will ofc be as perfect as I can get it,
one of the reasons I can't mockup/ precut the holes in the side is I can't accurately judge how much extra will need to come out for cable/wrapping diameters but this is where patience is handy
talking of mockups though, Pc on pedestal with ducting in place, Glands not shown as I haven't cut out the holes in the case yet :p
IMAG0466.jpg

I moved the speaker off the box for the pic.
How they'll exit the box,
IMAG0467.jpg

and roughly where they'll be up top,
IMAG0468.jpg

/Cackles madly...
*Edit, @Rubix, you see what I meant about oversize tubing on your build now? :p
Moto

:( Work turned off the free Wi-Fi here and I'm not risking my job to ahem, 'find out' the password for the encryted network :p
but I fried my data plan this month so no net at work till it rolls over
As a side thought for anyone who asks/suggests it, I did consider mounting the speaker in the box then decided against it :)
Moto

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
*Edit, @Rubix, you see what I meant about oversize tubing on your build now?

Indeed, I do. That is some massive tubing.

There is a Tom's App for Android and Apple that has links for the forums. The only beef I have with it is that the forum interface is not mobile web friendly.

More toys today, two switches turned up, the momentary and only one of the on/off's
quick phonecall later and the third should be here soon, heatsinks finally got here from china and I had an idea......
IMAG0469.jpg

I've been looking around for speaker grills to cover/filter the fans on the side of the box, I totally forgot I have the old sidepanel from the rider,
IMAG0470.jpg

I'll cut it in half and its about the right size, looks nice and theres mounting holes all ready, the spacing won't be right so I'll just screw them to the middle fans on each rad,
and as a mounting plate for the switches I'll use one of the spare Xspc plates that came with my res/pump, put a hole in the box and screw it in place
http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/xspc-x2o-750-dual-5.25in-bay-reservoir-pump-x20-750-2.html
brains warming up now hehe :p
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
looking good, have you redesigned the box yet to fit all the stuff properly, or are you still working on that. I like your idea about the speaker cover to hold a air filter for the fans. mind if I implement the idea as well, been tinkering with different styles of fan covers, and this seem to be the easiest to use.

@Toolmaker, I wing things hehe,
I will usually wait until I have things to hand, and then its like I know where they 'belong' like theres no other place it could go, and then find the way to make it fit, and it just seems natural (I often wonder how the human brain works/is supposed to work, let alone my brain hehe)
I'm very strange but once the switch in my head flips, get out of the way way lol cause I'm moving and no power in the verse can stop me :)
**Edit, designwise for the switches plate, I'm favouring at the front with the real res plate and fan controller, mostly to avoid cats nuzzling my powerswitch whilst the Rigs on :p
Ofc mate, feel free to borrow anything you see me do,:)

Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I had a cat that would do that, if I ignored him for too long while playing games, he would place his paw on the power switch until the computer shut down. I paid attention to him then, of course he always ran off.

And some gratuitous shots of whats in store for the switches...

They won't be in the existing space, i'll cut out and drill a middle section as marked
IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

and when the last one gets here, its all shiny Cap'n :p
IMAG0474.jpg

I really shouldn't get bored hehe
**Edit, we've kind of discussed things as I run around the house finding measure tapes, pens, drill bits etc, and the Gf and I have decided this is turning into a Firefly tribute, bit by bit hehe
Moto