Psycho rider Radbox project

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Its a homage to the three switches Alan Tudyk (Wash) always flicked before doing anything on Firefly/Serenity,
and I'm a Browncoat so it had to be done :)
they're just 10A/15a switches commonly used in loads of things
**Edit, one of which is momentary for the powerbutton, the other two are full on/off's
Moto

Ok, Rads should be here monday,
ordered my Qdc's and four metres of tubing,
pump/res is paid for but on backorder so maybe 3rd of may for that,
but once I have the rads I can cut the holes out for them and see how the grill works,
inserts came but they are metal? I suspect lowgrade steel or tin so waiting on a response from vendor there....
still to buy,
10x fittings for blocks etc,
Gpu blocks
14x Fans
Brain tired, I think thats everything though, 45 mins sleep today.....
Moto

Fan controllers here and heres the switches on their plate, need to drill the mounting holes but its ready
IMAG0477.jpg

Moto

Your GF supports your modding?

Moto you're the luckiest guy on the freaking planet! :)

@Toolmaker, the six fans on each rad will be paired up yes inside and outside so,
1[]1 on one channel,
2[]2
3[]3 and repeated on the second rad,
and the two fans at the rear will have a channel each so I can alter the exhaust independantly of intake

@Ryan, I know mate, she often gives me ideas and projects to steampunk up :p

So, the rest of the days work then....

marked up and drilled out the magic switches hole,
IMAG0479.jpg

and the fan controllers hole,
IMAG0480.jpg

Shiny...
IMAG0481.jpg

Whilst I had the drill and bench out I thought I may as well get the resses home ready too,
IMAG0482.jpg

taped up a fan bank and screwed the mesh to it, well I had daylight so I made another set of holes....
IMAG0483.jpg

I lined the top of the mesh with the top of the box, and screws pull it tight to the box
IMAG0484.jpg

although the second bank is just held on by one fan atm
IMAG0487.jpg

More photo's in a minute.
Moto

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
ouch see i cant let myself do something unless I have the right tools to do it. its sucks lol. but good for you the build looks great.

I admire the can do attitude of previous generations,
my generation and the ones succeeding it are very much of the 'who do we phone' or 'what do I buy to solve this' attitude, I am very much self-reliant and only defer to others when I don't have the skills/ facilities to do the job myself,

Example,
The local waterboard came to replace a wastepipe last year, it wasn't broken it was just on the list for replacement,
this is the toilet/water waste from the bathroom of two adjoining houses ok,

they broke and removed the pipe then discovered they had not brought the pipe to replace it.....
on a bank holiday weekend (In U.K. bank holidays are long weekends where nothing is open/noone to call and shout at :p)
So I got out the duct tape and my leatherman...

Robinsons 2.5l bottle
Pringles tube
sheet of cardboard,

cardboard covered in D.t. and formed into a tube,
hole cut in juice bottle to fit pringles tube, sealed with D.t.
bottle fitted into claypipe using D.t. gasket
and cardboard tube slid to exit pipe,
there was a tray at the back of the Juice bottle to support it (not shown in pic obv)

IMAG0029.jpg

it withstood (and was in working order when removed)
about 30 flushes and a 150L of bathwater, even the guys who came to fix the pipe were impressed

When the zombie apocalypse hits I'll be surviving whilst 99% of the worlds population is calling 'someone' to help
:p
Yes, I have several Z.A. plans all ready....
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
1985 mate, and i agree 200% with modo. i suppose one of the precious items to take along during Z.A will be this rad box outfitted with a survival kit and some fast wheels should you need to flee :p :D?

No probs man, nice to see you in here and thanks for the compliment :)
I hope it turns out well too :p
Even apart from the aesthetics, I should see 10'c drop off the cards, maybe even a degree or two off the Cpu
Oh, and I get to flick cool switches hehe
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
that's a long time from now, are you going to use the new box until then. or are you going to wait for the res to get here? and do it all at the same time, if you do wait at least you'll have time to tweak on it, and get it looking jest right. I'm figuring a couple of months as well for completion, looking good though your box has a lot of thought put into it. have you built a lot of speaker boxes? has some of the same feel to it on the inside. the outside does look like something you'd see, if in a pilot's seat. good vision, any other add-on's to the outside?

TRENDING THREADS