Psychohistory - The performance battle

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Isaac Asimov invented the psychohistory science that predicted the future according to history events.
I am refering here only to the performance of graphic cards.

The events on the ancient history of the war between ATi and Nvidia were:
When the 6XXX series of Nvidia cards came out, it was better than the ATi 9xxx series. in the following generation, the ATi x1800 had similar perfirmance to the Nvidia 7xxx series. Then ATi came with the x1900xtx with its wopping 48(!) pixel pipelines that was better than any other single card solution. Then Nvidia created the 8800gtx.

Now i am going to write the same paragraph, but replace the old graphic cards names with ones from recent history, present and future:
When the 8 (that equal to 9) series of Nvidia cards came out, it was better than the ATi 38xx series. in the following generation, the ATi 48xx had similar perfirmance to the Nvidia gtx200 series. Then ATi came with the 58xx with its wopping 1600(!) unified shaders that was better than any other single card solution. Then Nvidia created Fermi.

What do you think? Was Isaac Asimov right?

You left out that when Nvidia came with the 8800 series and trumped the 1900 series ATI responded with the 2900 cards and failed then they came with the 3800 cards and they still did not better the 8800 cards until they came with the 4800 series. It took them 3 tries. Nvidia responded with the GTX200 cards and had the best single GPU card for awhile until the introduction of the 5800 cards.
You skipped a generation of ATI cards as well since you did not talk about the x800 cards that was neck to neck with the 6800nvidia cards.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

The ATI 2900 cards as response to the 8800 series is supposed to compare to the response of ATI to Fermi, but that is far future in technology.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

What i ment was, that according to the past events, Nvidia was leading first, than ATI catched up and took the lead, and after that Nvidia responded with a huge performance jump. History repeated istelf so far. The only stage left is releasing the true Fermi architecture that will be a huge performance jump from 5870, like the 8800ultra was from the x1950xtx.

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I hate such useless speculations, especially when it's based on a theory that wasn't meant to be applied to two GPU manufacturers.
The vague news you get here do certainly not favour your idea either.

My theory: The longer you wait, the more you see.