[SOLVED] PTP WiFi Extender question

Jibsman57

Reputable
I'm trying to connect internet from the home to a building ~50 yards away. I'm networking disabled (not experienced and need help!). If I use PtP like this one: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE210-300Mbps-dual-polarized-directional/dp/B00P4JKQGK on the house, do I need another on the other building to receive the signal? I think so, but would prefer verification. The purpose is to connect cameras at the building to the home's internet. I am asking the camera manufacturer if, once connected, can PoE cameras be discovered by the Video Recorder in the home. This will tell me if I need WiFi cameras or PoE cameras (preferred?)

The device also supports PtMP, which I am guessing would connect to each WiFi camera in the building? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Thanks. So I need two. Now I need to find out if once I have these set up if the Amcrest DVR will see POE cameras on the receiving end.
The DVR will just think the PoE camera is connected to a different port on the router or switch. It has no way to know anything about any equipment in the path. Some people put cameras in other locations and use VPN even to make it appear the dvr and the camera are on the same network. That I am not too sure I would try since the higher latency to far away locations might cause issues but other than that the DVR would have no way to know the camera was not in the same room.
Without reading the details I think these only work with one on each end. Some of these units can act as a outdoor AP and then you might be able to get something like a wifi camera to connect directly and not have to buy a second unit.

But it will always work better to run a pair of these since the both ends of the connection will be using directional antenna. The pair can be thought of as a simple ethernet cable as far as the network goes. The units tend to be invisible to devices connected on ether end. Since you mentioned PoE, like many cameras these units are powered via PoE. They can not of course pass power over a wifi connection to the remote building but other than that they will look like a ethernet cable to your remote device.

How is the garage powered? Does it have it's own connection from the utility pole, or is there a breaker from the main home that runs to a sub panel in the garage?

I have a breaker in my main house that runs to the sub panel in my separate garage, it's about 30 yards from my house. I use powerline AV2000 to run internet into the garage. It was cheaper and I get about 40-60mbps in the garage.

Reactions: Jibsman57
Thanks. So I need two. Now I need to find out if once I have these set up if the Amcrest DVR will see POE cameras on the receiving end.
The DVR will just think the PoE camera is connected to a different port on the router or switch. It has no way to know anything about any equipment in the path. Some people put cameras in other locations and use VPN even to make it appear the dvr and the camera are on the same network. That I am not too sure I would try since the higher latency to far away locations might cause issues but other than that the DVR would have no way to know the camera was not in the same room.

Solution

Jibsman57

Reputable
How is the garage powered? Does it have it's own connection from the utility pole, or is there a breaker from the main home that runs to a sub panel in the garage?

I have a breaker in my main house that runs to the sub panel in my separate garage, it's about 30 yards from my house. I use powerline AV2000 to run internet into the garage. It was cheaper and I get about 40-60mbps in the garage.

Wow! I wasn't familiar with these! Our system is the same. About 20 yards from Main Breaker to Sub Panel. There will be 2-3 cameras at the shop. I read this: "It is recommended to use a 32 Mbps bandwidth for a 4K quality video streaming with H.264 codec. However, if the codec is H.265, the bandwidth can be up to 15 Mbps. " The Amcrest WiFi cameras say: "Dual H.265 / H.264 Video Compression Technology. ".
Found another here: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-Adapter-Ethernet-Passthrough/dp/B0778Y6K6N
We're going to try this one.
Thanks for the info! So much to learn!

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Wow! I wasn't familiar with these! Our system is the same. About 20 yards from Main Breaker to Sub Panel. There will be 2-3 cameras at the shop. I read this: "It is recommended to use a 32 Mbps bandwidth for a 4K quality video streaming with H.264 codec. However, if the codec is H.265, the bandwidth can be up to 15 Mbps. " The Amcrest WiFi cameras say: "Dual H.265 / H.264 Video Compression Technology. ".
Are you aware of anything that has a better bandwidth? Or do you think this is the best one?
Thanks for the info! So much to learn!
Powerline adapters have unknown performance, because it varies based on your specific electrical wiring and what devices you have that could interfere with the adapters. Powerline network adapters work by putting high frequency signals on the electrical wires. Some other devices, like wall-wart transformers put high frequency NOISE on those same wires. The two things interfere with each other. Although AV2000 sounds great "2 gigabit" -- typical rates are 100 to 300 Mbit. That should be sufficient bandwidth for you. But only testing with your specific wiring can tell you for sure. If you buy powerline adapters, buy them from somewhere with a good return policy. The performance you get may be insufficient for you.
If you choose a point to point radio solution, you want 5Ghz devices to get good bandwidth without too much cost.

Those are the best they make. Almost impossible to predict the actual rates. The 2000 number is all marketing lies to get a big number on the box. I don't know if someone test to see what some maximum lab rate is but I know that you seldom see people get more than 300 on these type of units.
Most people get far less. It all depends on the wiring in the house. The longer the path and things like the number of circuit breakers you pass over reduces it. In your case I doubt you are going to get 100mbps you would need to run 3 cameras at 32mbps.
Maybe pay a big extra and get them from a place that will let your return them after you test

The one we're getting has a 30 day no question asked return policy.
Hoping it works!
Cheers!

A few things to keep in mind.

I get about 40-60mbps which is fine for my cameras, I have 2 1080p cameras on it, plus it supplies wifi to my garage for my tablet when I'm working on my cars.

My network switch is next to my main breaker in the house. So it's a short path to the breaker. Use the most direct path with no surge protectors, ac adapters, lights (led and florescent can cause noise).

The units have to be on the same pole on the breaker. There are two 120v poles on your breaker, which can be combined to make 240v for large appliances and the HVAC. If they're on mismatched poles, it's easy to move breakers from one pole to another, though an electrician is always recommended.