PTR

Hi,

I've configured a DNS whit reverse zone; but when I do a PTR request on
another server DNS, whit nslookup, the reverse zone wasn't find.

Why that? I've configured the server incorrectly ? If i do that from my
server the same test works !!

n.b: the server have a public IP

Tanks in advance

In article <ctss42$jpt$1@newsread.albacom.net>, iol@iol.iol says...

>Hi,
>
>I've configured a DNS whit reverse zone; but when I do a PTR request on
>another server DNS, whit nslookup, the reverse zone wasn't find.
>
>Why that? I've configured the server incorrectly ? If i do that from my
>server the same test works !!
>
>n.b: the server have a public IP
>
>Tanks in advance

****************** REPLY SEPARATER *******************
Reverse lookup is top down driven. Your upstream ISP must delegate that
authority to you in order for the outside world to send PTR requests to your
server. For more info see: http://www.yellowhead.com/reverse.htm

J.A. Coutts

Many tanks.

My provider is UU.net how can I ask them to use my PTR zone ? In whitch way
? How can they delegate me for PTR resolution ?

Tanks in Advance

In news:cttmf0$ca7$1@newsread.albacom.net,
Massimiliano-T <iol@iol.iol> made a post then I commented below
> Many tanks.
>
> My provider is UU.net how can I ask them to use my PTR zone ? In
> whitch way ? How can they delegate me for PTR resolution ?
>
> Tanks in Advance

Call them up and ask them you need a reverse entry for IP such and such for
this or that purpose (like a mail server). It's a simple task. All ISPs will
honor it. I just took care of two IPs for one of my clients in a 3 minute
phone call with Allegiance the other day.

Now if you want the whole IP block delegated, which probably means you want
a /24, then you need to fill out a justification letter and go thru the
process, but that is rare unless you have the whole /24 block.

--?
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!! Superbowl bound NFC Champs!!

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--?
=================================

In article <cttmf0$ca7$1@newsread.albacom.net>, iol@iol.iol says...

>Many tanks.
>
>My provider is UU.net how can I ask them to use my PTR zone ? In whitch way
>? How can they delegate me for PTR resolution ?
>
>Tanks in Advance

***************** REPLY SEPARATER *****************
You can try, but UUnet is not known as one of the most cooperative ISPs. Why do
you want it anyway? As long as there is a PTR response of any kind, practically
all mail servers are satisfied. We have been operating that way for years. In
my humble opinion, the PTR protocol is obsolete and of little use any more
because it is not directly controllable by the domain owner.

J.A. Coutts

In news:11074ecjmdtckb5@corp.supernews.com,
John Coutts <administrator@spam.yellowhead.com> made a post then I commented
below

> ***************** REPLY SEPARATER *****************
> You can try, but UUnet is not known as one of the most cooperative
> ISPs. Why do you want it anyway? As long as there is a PTR response
> of any kind, practically all mail servers are satisfied. We have been
> operating that way for years. In my humble opinion, the PTR protocol
> is obsolete and of little use any more because it is not directly
> controllable by the domain owner.
>
> J.A. Coutts

True, that may be so, but many spam utilities use that as one of many test
criteria to distinguish spam.

Ace