PUBG 120 fps but still lagging?

Nightlake

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Hey guys,

So I've been playing PUBG for quite a long time now and I always have a problem with it. Spawning in FPS drops are completely normal, and so are the ones when you spawn in a plane. But when I'm looting or just running around the map I get random frequent FPS stutters or drops or just freezes I guess? I don't know what it actually is.

I play on an average of 120 fps in Shroud's settings (everything low and textures and anti-aliasing high) and I just lag constantly. Is it to do with my monitor Hz? My monitor is a 60Hz monitor but when I'm playing a game such as CSGO or Rocket League with 250+ fps, I get no lag whatsoever. It's smooth as hell, this only occurs with PUBG. Why? Is there any fixes to this? Thanks!

Forgot to add specs lmfao;

Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60 GHz w/ HyperX 212 Evo
GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
2X8GB Corsair VengeanceLP @ 1666MHz (kinda slow ik)
Gigabyte H81M-S2H
EVGA 500W Power Supply

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
PUBG is an Unreal Engine game.

I think it might be an obscure bug in the engine. I don't play PUBG but I do play Unreal Tournament 4 and have similar issues with it on a more powerful system.

Intel Core i7 6700K @4.6 GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 240 water cooler
Asus GTX 1070 Dual
2X8GB GSkill RipJaws DDR4 3200
Asus Z170-E
Thermaltake 750W Smartpower Plus power supply
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Nvme X4 250 GB
2X Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
144 Hz Dell S2716DG w/GSync

I get 144 FPS on most maps, some maps will be a little lower, about 120. I don't really get any significant FPS drops at all, most of the time it's rock steady. Ping is fine too, generally around 50 ms averaging around 9 ms to maybe 14 ms jitter *at the worst* (not counting very rare large ping spikes). But the game stutters and hitches frequently. This has been going on for 4 years now, I've tried everything imaginable to fix it, from game configuration tweaks, to OS, bios and hardware tweaks (including audio DPC lag fixes/tweaks and turning off unused/suspect motherboard devices), to clean new OS installations (on new drives even), and multiple hardware upgrades amounting to basically replacing everything in the system with something better 3 times.

Lots of things help a little bit but nothing gets rid of it, it's always still there. At times I might not see it for a few matches, but that's only because nobody good enough / erratic enough (see point 2 below) to cause it is in game with me.

A few things I've noticed...

1. When it happens, CPU usage on a single core/thread (logical processor) goes high and I start noticing "lag" latency that affects the entire game, in spite of FPS and ping both being just fine. It starts noticeably hurting my gameplay in the high 60's, by 70% it's getting pretty bad and keeps gets worse the higher the usage goes. I'll typically have 25-30% overall CPU usage, but 70-100% on that one core/thread. Which thread is random, a different one every time I start the game. Changing CPU affinity doesn't help, it just moves the high usage to a another thread.

2. Other players seem to cause it, or at least definitely make it worse. It doesn't happen at all if all of the other players in the game aren't very good and don't move well. It's mostly good players who move well that cause it, however some players with poor aim who move , not exactly well, but very quickly and erratically, constantly jumping, dodging and wiggle strafing (aka ADAD spam) can cause it too. All it takes is one player like that to be anywhere near me on the map and I "lag". Such a player can be in the match but if it's on a larger map that isn't wide open and he's nowhere near me, he often doesn't lag me until he gets closer to me.

When I say "lag" I mean this weird latency that affects the entire game, what I see, what I hear and when it's getting really bad even causes severe input lag. At it's worst It feels like I'm lagging 1-2 full seconds behind everyone else, with input lag that makes it feel like I'm dragging the monitor around behind me, through mud and it's fighting my efforts to control it. Nothing is where I see it at, other players and projectiles, warp, rubberband and skip from spot to spot (all while holding rock steady 144 FPS and 50 ms ping). I can't hit any moving target by aiming at it, I have to guess where it really is and shoot there. I can't avoid other players shots or react to what they do either, if they see me before I get a shot off I'm pretty much dead, as if they shot me long before the game finally got around to letting me know they were where.

I'm curious if you're seeing something similar in PUBG? For that matter I wonder if any Fortnight players are seeing anything similar too?