[SOLVED] PUBG FPS w/ RX 580

Drerunsit

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Build Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Drerunsit/saved/X8MTYJ

Hello, everyone. I am trying to get some help pinpointing the source of lackluster FPS in PUBG. My build is linked above. I have tried all kinds of in-game configuration changes, but I seem to be stuck between 45-58 FPS (with not-infrequent dips below that) while playing. I am playing at 1920x1080. The most recent thing I tried was turning off the Steam overlay (consequently, that’s what was showing me my FPS; however, I’m now using the Adrenaline overlay). Turning off the Steam overlay gave me a big FPS boost, and I’m now between 55-90 (again, with some dips below and very infrequent spikes to 100ish), Still, I have seen no shortage of videos on YouTube (which you can easily find by searching for “RX 580 PUBG”) where people are playing on higher settings and getting well above 120.

Can anyone shed some light on what I might do to get better FPS? Thank you in advance!

Solution
In everyone of those videos, they are using a faster CPU than your Ryzen 5 2600. That's where I would say the biggest difference comes in to play.

I hate to jump straight to a hardware upgrade as a solution, but I would take advantage of your AM4 platform and buy yourself a Ryzen 5000 series CPU. I would recommend the 5700X.
In everyone of those videos, they are using a faster CPU than your Ryzen 5 2600. That's where I would say the biggest difference comes in to play.

I hate to jump straight to a hardware upgrade as a solution, but I would take advantage of your AM4 platform and buy yourself a Ryzen 5000 series CPU. I would recommend the 5700X.

Reactions: Drerunsit
Solution

Drerunsit

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017

Thanks for that. I'll see if any other advice is offered here, and start looking at prices for the 5700x in the meantime.

PCPartPicker is telling me that I'll need to buy a separate cooler for the Ryzen 7 5600 because it doesn't come with one. Would the one that came with the R5 2600 be sufficient?
Your cooler that came with your Ryzen 5 2600 will be somewhat inefficient in cooling a Ryzen 5 5700X. While you could do it, you would not benefit from the full potential of the 5700X.

If you need a budget cooler, either one of these should work well. Just be sure your case will fit the max cooler height.

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)

Drerunsit

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Your cooler that came with your Ryzen 5 2600 will be somewhat inefficient in cooling a Ryzen 5 5700X. While you could do it, you would not benefit from the full potential of the 5700X.

If you need a budget cooler, either one of these should work well. Just be sure your case will fit the max cooler height.

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)

Sadly, neither of those fits in my case. I'll have to look for something comparable that fits, or get a bigger case.