[SOLVED] Public and Local IP the same

Dec 10, 2019
I've been involved in the IT world for quite some time, and have never seen anything like this before. My public IP address is the same as my assigned IPv4 address. I live in a dorm at my college. And found this out while trying to set up a game server for my friends and I. Any idea why this is?

Solution
I've been involved in the IT world for quite some time, and have never seen anything like this before. My public IP address is the same as my assigned IPv4 address. I live in a dorm at my college. And found this out while trying to set up a game server for my friends and I. Any idea why this is?

If it shows you the IP is a 10 or 172 or 192 then you are not seeing the router IP. Keep in mind you are not at your house using your modem, you are using an enterprise setup connection. You will not be able to use the external IP or open ports on the network to run a server if they setup the network properly.
Dec 10, 2019
Are you sure it is a actual public ip address.

A big college may have a large block of IP. It would be surprising but technically it would be possible for them to use the public on their lan.
I know that when i type "What is my ip" into google, the ip that comes up is the same as when I type "ipconfig" into cmd and look at the IPv4. I would attach screenshots but for obvious reasons dont want to leak my own network info haha

If it shows you the IP is a 10 or 172 or 192 then you are not seeing the router IP. Keep in mind you are not at your house using your modem, you are using an enterprise setup connection. You will not be able to use the external IP or open ports on the network to run a server if they setup the network properly.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS