[SOLVED] Public Desktop Access?

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
In this Directory: C:\Users\Public\Desktop
I noticed some programs are listed there, why are they public and not private?
What does public mean specifically?

If i visit a website and in order to use the website i have to accept cookies, can this website access my public desktop and know which programs are installed there, in the worst case sell this information?
Can programs that i have installed access my public desktop and find out what other programs are linked there?

When i delete the link / shortcut in windows explorer from the public desktop, the icon also dissapears from my desktop.
Can i delete they public desktop entry somehow without deleting it from my desktop?
In the first place, why is it even public?
And who (which program website or company) can access this public desktop informations?

See Screenshot:
https://i.ibb.co/3dP1RKn/Wieso-sind-diese-Programme-im-ffentlichen-Desktop.png

Solution
Alright thanks to you guys for helping.
I understand now the public desktop is only made for user accounts and websites or apps have no access to it.

So lets say im creating another user account on my pc for another person and obviously the programs currently linked to the public desktop where installed from myself, what if i dont want the other person to have access to this programs or even see that they are installed?

Some programs, when being first installed ask the user if he wants to install them for himself only or for everyone on the pc (install for your user account or public desktop) those programs you saw on the screenshot did not ask me for that, they automatically linked themselfes to public desktop without my consent...

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
u might be confused about something
that public profile is for all user profiles on your pc, it has nothing to do with public outside of your pc

I am the only user on this PC.
"nothing to do with public outside my pc"
Public desktop is a part of my PC so its inside.

This doesnt anser my question if websites, apps, etc can access this public desktop meaning they will see which programs are linked there.

I simply dont get why this is in public desktop when it should be in private desktop.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
The "Public" folder on your PC cannot be accessed by anyone other than a person with an account on your PC. Some programs, like the ones you see there, are installed for all users of the PC to access. Some are installed just for your UserID.

-Wolf sends

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
I understand now the public desktop is only made for user accounts and websites or apps have no access to it.

So lets say im creating another user account on my pc for another person and obviously the programs currently linked to the public desktop where installed from myself, what if i dont want the other person to have access to this programs or even see that they are installed?

Some programs, when being first installed ask the user if he wants to install them for himself only or for everyone on the pc (install for your user account or public desktop) those programs you saw on the screenshot did not ask me for that, they automatically linked themselfes to public desktop without my consent.

When i want the programs for myself only (only my user account) how to remove them from public desktop?

USAFRet

Titan

Some programs, when being first installed ask the user if he wants to install them for himself only or for everyone on the pc (install for your user account or public desktop) those programs you saw on the screenshot did not ask me for that, they automatically linked themselfes to public desktop without my consent.

When i want the programs for myself only (only my user account) how to remove them from public desktop?
Remove the shortcut from the Desktop folder in the Public folder tree.
They won't even see it.

And most applications give you the option of how to install.
"Only for Me" or "For everyone"

Solution

Morugs

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Remove the shortcut from the Desktop folder in the Public folder tree.
They won't even see it.

And most applications give you the option of how to install.
"Only for Me" or "For everyone"

As you said, i deleted the shortcuts, then they also dissapeared from my desktop and i had to relink every program to my desktop but this worked.

I know most programs ask for me only or everyone but obviously not all do otherwise i would be here.