[SOLVED] Public WiFi at RV park

ajpearl777

Commendable
Oct 24, 2018
Hi,
I have an RV park that is having 10-40 consistent streamers/gamers depending on day/time.
We currently have 4 Ruckus T310C devices spread evenly across the RV park providing excellent coverage.

My issue is that we are upgrading our internet from cable to fiber 1gig up/1gig down, as you probably know this isn't cheap at all. I want to charge for different tiers of service/plans.

• Free for 24 hours (have to pay after, resets after 5/15/30 days throttled)
  • Premium 24 hours(still throttled but little faster)
  • Premium 30 days (still throttled but little faster)
  • Ultimate 24 hours (25/25speed)
  • Ultimate 30 days (25/25 speed)
I believe I have all the equipment I could possibly need, but I'm at a loss on where to go from here.
Setup is as follows

ISP>EdgeRouter4>UniFi Dream Machine(ports)
  • Dell R710 with Windows Datacenter running on it.(new not used yet)
  • LiteAP>NanoStation5AC>Ruckus T310C-NanoStation5AC>Ruckus T310C
  • NanoStationLoco5AC>LiteBeam5AC>NanoStation5AC[P2MP#1]>NanoStation5AC>Ruckus T310C, [P2MP#2]>NanoStation5AC>Ruckus T310C, [P2MP#3]>LiteBeam5AC.... (Different property)
UniFi has it's own hotspot options, however I already own the 4 of the $1,300 ruckus AP's so I want to use them.

My question is, is there a free or non-subscription software I could use to monitor, manage, and maintain what I want to do here?
View: https://imgur.com/download/9rELUqy/

Any idea would be wonderful!

Solution
I can't make any specific recommendation but the function you want to search for is called "captive portal". There are expensive prebuilt appliance devices and there are function in some hotel management software. Both these are for people that want something they plug in and it works without much effort. There are free versions but must you load on a linux version. I know you could do it with many of the linux firewall images but the one I saw was mostly done via the IPTABLES file which is a massive pile of spaghetti. You want 2 ethernet ports on your dell server just to make things easier.

Now it depends on how fancy you want to get. Most systems you just put the captive portal between the wireless network and...
I can't make any specific recommendation but the function you want to search for is called "captive portal". There are expensive prebuilt appliance devices and there are function in some hotel management software. Both these are for people that want something they plug in and it works without much effort. There are free versions but must you load on a linux version. I know you could do it with many of the linux firewall images but the one I saw was mostly done via the IPTABLES file which is a massive pile of spaghetti. You want 2 ethernet ports on your dell server just to make things easier.

Now it depends on how fancy you want to get. Most systems you just put the captive portal between the wireless network and the router. The users in theory could connect to the wifi network and run traffic between each other. This would make it a lot more complex because now you must have the AP and switches involved. Most times this issue is just ignored because there is very little reason to use a network that does not have internet. You would need some system that was integrated into the AP/wireless more.

Solution

ajpearl777

Commendable
Oct 24, 2018

Now it depends on how fancy you want to get. Most systems you just put the captive portal between the wireless network and the router. The users in theory could connect to the wifi network and run traffic between each other. This would make it a lot more complex because now you must have the AP and switches involved. Most times this issue is just ignored because there is very little reason to use a network that does not have internet. You would need some system that was integrated into the AP/wireless more.
I would love to hear more about the Linux options. I currently have 4 ethernet ports on my Dell R710 and I'm running a some virtual machines using Hyper-V. I currently am only using 1 port only. Could you point me in the right direction (Forum post, guide, software)?

Also what are some of these prebuilt appliance devices so I can do some research into them?

Here's Ubiquiti's guest voucher system since you're using a dream machine: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articl...Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System
Thank you! I have looked into this, however I am using the UniFi equipment only for my staff network and I want to use the really good AP's (Ruckus) for my guests. If there is a way to setup the hotspot captive portal that UniFi offers onto the Ruckus AP's that would be amazing. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys!

It has been a long time since I look at the linux implementation and even then I was just playing with it. The commercial boxes the company I worked for used firewalls by palo alto but they cost as much as a car does and have yearly license fees. After all these years I guess it is lucky I remember that you can even do this stuff.

All I can recommend is do some study on the concept of "captive portal". This is what the function you want is commonly called.