News Puget Abandons Samsung 990 Pro SSDs Over Reliability Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I would like to see the cell rewrites back up to well over 1000, which would help mask subtle firmware issues with wear-leveling and, presumably, help open the thermal window for data retention/integrity during the extremes of operation and transport/storage.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
It's impossible that Samsung didn't know their SSD were faulty.

Same thing is happening with their phones that are now all showing bloated batteries after a few years. Same thing is happening with Samsung QLED monitors that have horrible color fringing but the media kept quiet on it since they were all sponsored by Samsung.

I saw a recent documentary where a former engineer of Samsung said his job at the company was to make sure Samsung appliances like washers and dryers die after X years. He was in charge of obsolescence engineering.

I have more trust in Chinese crap from AliExpress at this point than Samsung products.

Samsung is run by the largest Korean Chaebol, half of that family has either been in jail, or had a run-in with the law. They are corrupt to the core.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 431422

I wouldn't be surprised if the quietly switched to QLC.
I have an old Intel 40GB SSD (INTEL SSDSA2BT040G3) used in corporate environment and it has more life in it than those drives.

Reactions: cyrusfox

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Yeah. Sadly, Samsung has taken a nose-dive in the last few years and decided to cash-in on the great reputation that they had taken so long to build. Learned that the hard way when I found my S22 Ultra overheats almost instantly playing almost anything. What good is a 120Hz screen if it only lasts 5 minutes and then throttles itself? Goodbye Samsung. Totally agree on the Sabrent drives. Have been having excellent results there. (And now hoping not to jinx myself!)

Reactions: carvedinside

USAFRet

Titan
It's impossible that Samsung didn't know their SSD were faulty. Same thing is happening with their phones that are now all showing bloated batteries after a few years.
What happened with the phones is totally different.

It is absolutely not impossible that some fault emerged that was no foreseen.
This can, and does, happen with any tech.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
It is absolutely not impossible that some fault emerged that was no foreseen.
This can, and does, happen with any tech.

Please, Samsung knew.

Samsung 980 SSD are from 2 years ago, and now that they got caught they are suddenly "investigating", caught like a deer in the headlights. Of course they knew these drives were dying.

Hiding problems, buying out reviewers, and then pretending to be a chocked Pickachu when someone discovers the flaws, is typical Samsung.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Please, Samsung knew.

Samsung 980 SSD are from 2 years ago, and now that they got caught they are suddenly "investigating", caught like a deer in the headlights. Of course they knew these drives were dying.

Hiding problems, buying out reviewers, and then pretending to be a chocked Pickachu when someone discovers the flaws, is typical Samsung.
Unless you can dig up some SooperSekrit internal files from Samsung....speculation.

It may well be that they 'knew'.
It may also be entirely possible that they did not know.

But it is pretty silly to think that they would have known, and deliberately risked the fallout once it did become known.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Please, Samsung knew.

Interesting accusations. Despite the current world climate not everything is a conspiracy. Occams razor, the simplest answer statistically is the right one.

Samsung is known as the default best in the business when it comes to SSDs, they like that reputation. So if they were to discover a fault do they push it under the rug and hope its not too bad, or do they take the hit and fix it, which will just foster that reputation. Especially after seeing the fallout Seagate had over 1 line of faulty drives that got turned into WAY more than it ever was.

If they knew about it they would have taken the hit and fixed it immediately, not released a subsequent version of the same drive with the flaw. This is a pretty obvious answer, especially if you've worked in Corporate America these days. The days of getting away with ignoring criticial issues are long gone.

Unless you can dig up some SooperSekrit internal files from Samsung....speculation.

It may well be that they 'knew'.
It may also be entirely possible that they did not know.

But it is pretty silly to think that they would have known, and deliberately risked the fallout once it did become known.

Exactly

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Interesting accusations. Despite the current world climate not everything is a conspiracy. Occams razor, the simplest answer statistically is the right one.

Samsung knowing about problems and hiding them until people discover them is not a "conspiracy".

It is literally how Samsung (<Mod Edit>) does business. It is how they have always done business.

ouihuikhihuihi.png

ghfhfhfh.jpg

If they knew about it they would have taken the hit and fixed it immediately

Bless you unknowing child.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Samsung knowing about problems and hiding them until people discover them is not a "conspiracy".

It is literally how Samsung (<Mod Edit>) does business. It is how they have always done business.

ouihuikhihuihi.png

Bless you unknowing child.

In case it wasn't completely obvious, since I was focusing on storage, their experience with the battery issues in their cellphones and the massive fallout from that, they likely learned their lesson. And again unless you have proof of all of your accusations, of which you have none, then all they are is made up trash.

If information comes out to prove otherwise I don't think anyone will be fully surprised. But it would be fairly obvious that in the current climate they would want to avoid a similar situation.

Bless yourself and your lack of logic.

Reactions: Lutfij

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
In case it wasn't completely obvious, since I was focusing on storage, their experience with the battery issues in their cellphones and the massive fallout from that, they likely learned their lesson.

They didn't learn their lesson.

The Samsung batteries caught fire in 2016, a problem the hid from the public. The battery bulging is from 2022, a problem they also hid from the public.

On both occasions Samsung was fully aware of these problem, but decided to hide these problems from the public.

And I don't appreciate you editing my posts btw, don't abuse your mod status.

Status
Not open for further replies.