News Puget Systems: AMD-based Workstations Achieve 60% of Total Sales

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That's pretty sad when you consider Intel has given up on the workstation market and hasn't released a new CPU for its HEDT platform since it paper launched Cascade Lake X in 2019. Intel cared so little about those that they didn't even bother selling them for months after "launch." Next HEDT release from Intel isn't rumored to be launched until mid 2022.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Intel is not in an envious position, but I'm confident of their ability to pull through.

They have AMD thrashing them on the ultra high end with the upper Ryzens and Threadrippers, and they have ARM based processors pushing the envelope in mobility and IOT single board devices for hobbyist software devs.

Intel prioritized Alder Lake and getting their own big.little (coming soon)out the door, so its clear which one they believe to be the bigger threat over the long term. It's mobility, mobility, mobility.(energy efficiency)

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
That's pretty sad when you consider Intel has given up on the workstation market and hasn't released a new CPU for its HEDT platform since it paper launched Cascade Lake X in 2019. Intel cared so little about those that they didn't even bother selling them for months after "launch." Next HEDT release from Intel isn't rumored to be launched until mid 2022.
The past few years have been tough for Intel. I believe their CPU roadmap along with issues with 10nm yields simply did not allow them to produce products that they can slice and dice finely in order to carve out chips specific for HEDT platform. In fact, I feel most of the time, they are busy trying hard to fend off competition with 14nm chips across their retail and data center chips. 10nm was unfortunately only limited to mobile CPUs then.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
If I were building data centers, I’d only be buying them for a very specific set of requirements (instruction sets not available in AMD for developers, SQL CPU intensive loads, etc).

Everything else in AMD64 required it would be AMD, and management systems ARM.

I would be sweating bullets if I was Intel.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Intel is not in an envious position, but I'm confident of their ability to pull through.

They have AMD thrashing them on the ultra high end with the upper Ryzens and Threadrippers, and they have ARM based processors pushing the envelope in mobility and IOT single board devices for hobbyist software devs.

Intel prioritized Alder Lake and getting their own big.little (coming soon)out the door, so its clear which one they believe to be the bigger threat over the long term. It's mobility, mobility, mobility.(energy efficiency)
Actually ARM is eating them at the top and low power/ mobile segment. You would have seen quite a number of announcements from big organizations moving on to custom cores, which utilizes ARM chips. AMD have some very compelling products, but I don't believe AMD is able to produce that many chips to fill the gap where Intel lost market share.