Puget Systems Launches Two New Quad-Socket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Great product, I wouldn't build my own professional system simply because I want a warranty and other support services and don't have time to troubleshoot for a few days. Time is money and even though for my purposes this is overkill I think their prices are reasonable and their warranty services are not too expensive. I think I found where I am getting my next workstation

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Er, really? 64 cores is, "staggering"? Please get with the times; an SGI UV 2000
can have up to 2048 cores and 64TB RAM, and that's a single combined system,
not a cluster. Heck, their *entry level* UV 20 has up to 48 cores and 1.5TB RAM. :D

Ian.

Er, really? 64 cores is, "staggering"? Please get with the times; an SGI UV 2000
can have up to 2048 cores and 64TB RAM, and that's a single combined system,
not a cluster. Heck, their *entry level* UV 20 has up to 48 cores and 1.5TB RAM. :D

Ian.

Is that 2048 cores on 1 motherboard in 1 standard case? No. It's a bunch of systems interlinked together. You logic is flawed.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Not flawed at all. I wasn't referring to the case structure or anything else, merely that a single
coherent system with a lot of cores is absolutely nothing new. And btw, it's NOT a 'bunch' of
systems 'merely' linked together; it's a shared memory, cache-coherent, single, combined
machine. The fact that its physically formed from multiple racks is irrelevant, as scalability is a
key part of the design, and always has been (I have a 36-CPU SGI in my garage). To use your
own lingo, just one 'machine', ie. rack, has up to 512 cores via 64 sockets (max 16TB RAM).
The long term goal of the UV series is to support more than 256000 cores ad 8192TB RAM,
something parts of the core logic can already handle - the tricky part is evolving the Linux OS
to cope with the resulting scalability issues.

Learn about the tech before posting falsehoods.

Ian.

PS. Ref: https://www.sgi.com/pdfs/4192.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.