Question Pulling my hair out. I can not figure out what is wrong.

Jan 18, 2021
I don't even know where to start. My computer has worked great for almost 3 years now. Then in December I did a windows upgrade to 20h2. I had issues so I rolled it back to I believe 1910? Still had issues, so I wiped my system clean and installed from disk. Now I am on 1703.

So I am having issues while gaming and downloading updates etc. Gaming I can play for 10-15 minutes then my packet loss shoots up to 60. Then the game will freeze and I have to cntl alt del to stop the game and restart. Apex Legends. I also get all kinds of connection errors, but my internet is great. I have high speeds, new modem and new ORBI Wifi (bought these after the issues started happening, trying to figure it out by replacing items.)

While downloading GPU drivers and other things the download rate starts out normal then plummets to 0. Then if I restart the download or wait a bit. It will start going back up again to an acceptable range. I just did a Nvidia driver update today and it dropped down so low it said it would take 3 hours to download the update. (It should take about 30-60secs tops.) Not sure what is going on, but I can not figure it out. Issue happens on Ethernet or wifi.

I-5 8600 3.6CPU
1070 GPU
ASROCK 370 Pro 4 Mother Board (updated bios)
16gb ram
Ethernet connection
Windows 10 64bit Ver. 1703

I don't even know where to start. My computer has worked great for almost 3 years now. Then in December I did a windows upgrade to 20h2. I had issues so I rolled it back to I believe 1910? Still had issues, so I wiped my system clean and installed from disk. Now I am on 1703.

So I am having issues while gaming and downloading updates etc. Gaming I can play for 10-15 minutes then my packet loss shoots up to 60. Then the game will freeze and I have to cntl alt del to stop the game and restart. Apex Legends. I also get all kinds of connection errors, but my internet is great. I have high speeds, new modem and new ORBI Wifi (bought these after the issues started happening, trying to figure it out by replacing items.)

While downloading GPU drivers and other things the download rate starts out normal then plummets to 0. Then if I restart the download or wait a bit. It will start going back up again to an acceptable range. I just did a Nvidia driver update today and it dropped down so low it said it would take 3 hours to download the update. (It should take about 30-60secs tops.) Not sure what is going on, but I can not figure it out. Issue happens on Ethernet or wifi.

I-5 8600 3.6CPU
1070 GPU
ASROCK 370 Pro 4 Mother Board (updated bios)
16gb ram
Ethernet connection
Windows 10 64bit Ver. 1703
Windows 10 64bit Ver. 1703 support expired in 2019, you have problems with drivers. I would do clean install of latest 20h2 and all new drivers.

Jan 18, 2021
Windows 10 64bit Ver. 1703 support expired in 2019, you have problems with drivers. I would do clean install of latest 20h2 and all new drivers.
How do I go about doing that? I searched everywhere on my computer to to upgrade. I see nothing. Also, I had these same issues on 20H2, thought going backwards would be helpful. It was not. The update is not showing up in the windows update area.

How do I go about doing that? I searched everywhere on my computer to to upgrade. I see nothing. Also, I had these same issues on 20H2, thought going backwards would be helpful. It was not. The update is not showing up in the windows update area.
Easiest and safest way is to download same type of W10 you have now (Home/Pro and language) straight from MS using MCT https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Let i make a bootable USB, run setup.exe from already installed windows and if you want you can choose to keep personal files and APPs or to install complete new windows.
Or, you can BOOT from USB, delete all partitions and let windows do it's job.

Jan 18, 2021
Easiest and safest way is to download same type of W10 you have now (Home/Pro and language) straight from MS using MCT https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Let i make a bootable USB, run setup.exe from already installed windows and if you want you can choose to keep personal files and APPs or to install complete new windows.
Or, you can BOOT from USB, delete all partitions and let windows do it's job.

I have 20H2 installed and I have updated all the drivers. Still having the same issue. I have been dealing with this for over a month. I have tried many things. Nothing seems to help. Could it be hardware? Is there a way to find out?

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Do you have more than disk? Maybe your boot device is going nuts and if the games are downloaded on it...Sounds stupid but failing hard drives do crazy things.

Otherwise I would say it's a virus but you wiped your drive. Unless you re-downloaded it.

Jan 18, 2021
Ok well I was so pissed today, I went out and bought a new gaming rig. Brand new out of the box Intel Core i7 10700KF 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X; 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM; 1TB SSD. I normally would build one, but trying to find a 3080 is ridiculous. Having the same issues, so now I am extra mad. Anyway, it isnt the computer. It isnt the WIFI, it isnt the modem or my internet provider. Is there a computer god that hates me? I have spent Over $3,000.00 chasing this problem. It all started back in early December 2020. Never had an issue previously. Apex legends lags after 15 minutes of game play. Downloading NVIDIA drivers for video cards starts out great then goes down to 0mb per second. Then if I pause it and restart it it goes again. Steam games download great for awhile, then they drop to 0mbps and then I have to pause and restart about 3-4 times to get a game to download. I have no idea. Gremlins are out to get me. Could it be something in windows 10? 20h2 came to me around that time on my old rig. I had the issue on the previous version after I rolled it back also. I have tried a lot of trouble shooting in that but maybe I missed something? I am at a loss.