Question Pulsing/Flickering Monitor

Mar 17, 2021
Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read. I'm having flickering issues with a new monitor, specs below.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
Motherboard: AX370-Gaming K7
Ram: 16g DDR4 3200MHz
Main Monitor: Acer XZ242Q (Flickering Monitor) connected via DP Cable
Secondary Monitor: BenQ RL2455 connected Via HDMI Cable

Issue: In low light setting during game play or in menu's (it happens mostly in Escape from Tarkov) I'm experiencing a flickering/pulsing and I cant for the life of me figure out how to fix it. This was not present before I got the Acer monitor (previously playing on the Ben Q). Please see video below for an example of the flicker/pulse.

View: https://youtu.be/UAVcrm-eXEs

Trouble shooting so far:
  • Checked drivers everywhere possible
  • Turned off all Syncs (G & V)
  • Tried syncing the monitors refresh rates
  • Tried lowering the refresh rate to 120
  • Changed from DP to HDMI
  • Tried all of the settings I can find in the monitors menu (HDR mode gave some minor improvement but it was still present)
  • Manually installed the latest drivers from acer for the monitor itself

Comments:
I did download the Nvidia Pendulum test and was able to get the faintest flicker at low FPS with Gsync turned on, but I checked in game and it doesn't seem to be FPS dependent there, and as mentioned above, turning any combination of the syncs off has no effect.

I'm just lost at this point, I'm not the most savvy at this stuff, so any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank for your time,
Crunk.

Mar 17, 2021
You need a DP 1.4 certified cable
Thanks for the reply, but I have one already.

The monitor only has a DP1.1 & 1.2 setting available. Could this have any bearing on my issue?

With regards to the artifacting, its only happening on right hand side of the screen, it doesn't change sides when I switch my dual monitors around (I've been told that matters?) and the artificating goes away if I turn the monitor off and on again (but reappears on start up or waking at times).

Thank you.

Mar 17, 2021
did some researches, it seems VA panel problem

I read through your links and it looks like there aren't any simple answers to fix it. Am I interpreting that correctly?

TLDR: Any rapid change in frame rate will cause brightness to change and monitor to flicker with variable refresh rate. Possible hardware limitation with most VA panels.

Is there a way I can lock the refresh rate? is there something I need to check? In the Nvidia control panel its just set to 144, cant see anything about variable refresh rate.

Lastly, and I do appreciate your help thank you, would the VA panel be causing this issue as well?