Pump choice for client

BattlestarSC

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
I am planning to build a system for a client. In the past, I have only worked with D5 pumps, but this client has a custom case and wants 8 480mm 80mm Rads, 2 240mm 25mm Rads, 4 GPU blocks, a CPU block, 2 RAM blocks, 2 SSD blocks, and a MOFSET block. This is the system they want, so please don;t complain about the parts. They also want to have full hard tubing with plenty of "cool" bends. For a system like this, would a DCC pump make sense? Or is D5 still the better choice?

#Edit: spelling check

You must use two separate loops for this build:
D5 - CPU + RAM + MOFSET
double D5 - GPUs.
As a side note, unless they plan to passively cool the system (no fans at all) 8 rads is a huge overkill. 3 of 480 rads will keep any GPUs under 50C at 40C room temperature with fans like Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC running at 1000RPM. Cool bends are cool, but remember, every bend, every component block, every rad, every 90 adapter adds flow restriction. with the amount of rads they want you probably will end up with very low liquid flow rate even with 2xD5

BattlestarSC

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

Well, the customer wanted a single loop. Do you think any pump solution would have sufficient head pressure to handle that?

I understand it is totally overkill. Could I talk them down to 4 480s only? No. They also want me to find the maximum fans that will work. I can look for fans no problem, and I don't see the point of that many rads. You may also like this: they plan to use a Ryzen 7 1800X OC'ed to 4.025GHz (-_-) and 4 GTX 1080s that are not overclocked. I told them that 1080s don't support 4 way SLI and that I have yet to see a X370 motherboard with 4 x16 PCIe slots. They replied "Well, just use a x1 to x16 adapter for the last GPU. I plan on using multi-GPU and not SLI anyway." (-_-). So, they are looking to waste as much money as possible apparently. Thats not my problem. I do hardware only. So, here I am asking about pumps.

BattlestarSC

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

The customer has already paid a local person who enjoys wood and metal working $6500 for a custom wood and metal case.

I understand that the pump will probably be giant, but I need to see if there is a product that will do it so I can show him and say "this is why I have to do dual loops"

the setup I described will work. but remember, getting air out of the GPUs will be a nightmare as there will be no strong enough flow.
You can sell them "dual loop" by suggesting different liquid color for each. it looks nice.
In case you want to be sure (and since they obviously have no budget problem) you can go overkill and setup loop with 3 or even 4 pumps in different places. Just make sure there is a liquid getting to them before you start them. you can start them manually one by one. the res is necessary only for the main dual pump.
You have dual D5 tops from many manufacturers like EK. for such setup, don't use PWM pumps, get the vario with manual speed control. and let them know that there is a Titan Xp out there and that without it the system is "not that cool" :) 1600 watt PSU is must

8a8571e7ac8a2bef48806def05129c75.jpg

BattlestarSC

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

If I could convince them to do 3 loops, would a single D5 work for this or would dual D5's still be a must?
loop1: CPU + mofset + SSD(s) [I'm trying to convince them thats not needed] + RAM for 2x 480
loop2: 2 GPU and 3 480's
loop3: 2 GPU and 3 480's

I'm hoping I can talk them out of the 240's and the SSD/RAM blocks. I know the rest they are set on.

BattlestarSC

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

So, checking if I understand you correctly, dual D5s can handle 4x 480s and 4 gpus?