Question pump speed

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
i have a be quiet water cooler. should the pump spin at 2200 rmp?

my radiator fans are only spinning at 700 rpm. i have a be quiet water cooler. they are connected correctly. can't change speed in bios nor speed fan

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
i have a be quiet water cooler. should the pump spin at 2200 rmp?

my radiator fans are only spinning at 700 rpm. i have a be quiet water cooler. they are connected correctly. can't change speed in bios nor speed fan
If you can not controll the fan speed something is not working as it should.
Normally you want your pump to run at a fixed rpm all the time. I would start with 100% and see if the noise is ok.
The fans should react to either watertemp, that would be ideal, or the temperature of the cpu and ramp up if needed.

Report back how you connected and powered the Aio.

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
If you can not controll the fan speed something is not working as it should.
Normally you want your pump to run at a fixed rpm all the time. I would start with 100% and see if the noise is ok.
The fans should react to either watertemp, that would be ideal, or the temperature of the cpu and ramp up if needed.

Report back how you connected and powered the Aio.
the radiator fans are connected to rear case fan with a splitter and the pump to cou and the pump is 100 percent

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have things connected in the wrong place. To repeat, tell us WHAT mobo you have - maker and exact model number. Also tell us what model of beQuiet cooler system you have.

MOST liquid-cooler systems operate this way if they do not have their own special control software. The PUMP unit should run at full speed all the time. The FANS on the radiator must be plugged into the CPU_FAN header so that their speeds are controlled automatically according to the temperature measured inside the CPU chip. If you tell us details as requested, we can get very specific about how to make those connections and configuration settings.

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
You have things connected in the wrong place. To repeat, tell us WHAT mobo you have - maker and exact model number. Also tell us what model of beQuiet cooler system you have.

MOST liquid-cooler systems operate this way if they do not have their own special control software. The PUMP unit should run at full speed all the time. The FANS on the radiator must be plugged into the CPU_FAN header so that their speeds are controlled automatically according to the temperature measured inside the CPU chip. If you tell us details as requested, we can get very specific about how to make those connections and configuration settings.
i have a intel dq77mk motherboard.
120mm be quiet silent loop.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for those details. I could not find a manual for the be Quiet Silent Loop system, but I found enough info to figure this out. The design is as I suspected - the pump is supposed to run full speed all the time, and control of the CPU temperature is done by having the CPU_FAN header control the two fans on the radiator. Further, the FANS are of the 4-pin PWM type, and the PUMP has a 3-pin connector. The info on the Intel DQ77MK mobo says it has one CPU_FAN header and two case fan headers; all of these are 4-pin type using only the new PWM Mode of control. That suits your needs just fine.

One type of info missing, however, is the current consumption (amperes) required by each fan and the pump. Typically such a fan might use 0.1 to 0.2 A each, and the pump less than 0.5 A. The limit to be met is that a single mobo fan header can supply up to 1.0 A total current. So, IF my guesses about amp ratings of the pump and fans are correct, it IS acceptable to connect all three devices to the CPU_GAN header with appropriate wiring. HOWEVER, if you can find Amp ratings on each fan AND on the pump unit, add them up. IF you can confirm that the total does not exceed 1.0 A, you can connect this way. BUT if the total exceeds 1.0 A, OR if you cannot find any such info and are worried about that limit, I will suggest at the end another way to make connections.

So, first plan for connecting ALL THREE devices to the CPU_FAN header IF the total current load does not exceed 1.0 A. You already have one Splitter so you can connect both fans to a single header. You will need one additional simple 2-putput Splitter similar to what you have, but do NOT get a Hub. A HUB is different and it always has a third type of cable "arm" that must plug into an output connector from the PSU. So, with the added Splitter, plug that into the CPU_FAN header. Now, look at that Splitter's two outputs, and one of them will have all four pins in it, while the other is missing Pin #3. Plug into the one with ALL FOUR pins the cable from the PUMP that ends in a 3-pin connector. This will ensure that the PUMP's speed signal is sent to the CPU_FAN header. That header pays special attention to the speed signal of its "fan" (in this case, the pump) to monitor it for FAILURE that might cause rapid heating of the CPU that could damage it. In an AIO system, it is failure of the PUMP that can cause the most dangerous potential for overheating, so that's the item that needs to be monitored closely. Now, connecting the PUMP's 3-pin cable to a 4-pin header that uses the new PWM Mode of control takes advantage of a quirk of design. Technically, this is a mis-match of 3-pin "fan" (really, pump) to a 4-pin header. That type of mis-match causes the 3-pin device (the pump here) to always run full speed with no ability to control its speed. That is exactly what we want for the pump.

Now, take the Splitter that has the two rad fans attached to it and plug that into the other output from your first Splitter - that is, the one that is missing Pin #3. This has a small impact you need to understand. Any fan header can deal with the speed signal coming back to it from only ONE fan - more causes confusion and wrong readings. So in fact a Spltter will only send back to its mobo header ONE of its fans' speeds and ignore the others. This means you can never "see" the speeds of the "other" fans. In the arrangement I suggest here, the ONLY speed sent back to the mobo CPU_FAN header is the PUMP speed (so it can be monitored for failure). The speeds of BOTH rad fans are NOT being sent anywhere you could measure them, so you will never know what they are. You CAN observe them and see that their speeds change as workload and heat change, but you won't see any number for their speed. This also means that there is no way for your mobo to warn you if those rad fans fail, so YOU will need to check them once in a while to be sure they both are still working.

If you do as I suggest there, your pump unit will always run full speed as designed AND it will be monitored for failure by the CPU_FAN header. Both fans on the radiator will have their speeds automatically controlled by the CPU_FAN header according to the actual temperature measured inside the CPU chip. And the two other CASE fan headers on your mobo (controlled by a mobo temperature sensor) will be available for case fans.

OK, PLAN #2 - IF you find that the total current for the pump plus two rad fans is over 1.0 A, or IF you are worried about that. The alternative is to keep the two rad fans together using the Splitter you have, and connect that to the CPU_FAN header so that their speeds are controlled automatically according to the CPU temperature. Then you need to use one of the two other fan headers (intended for case ventilation fans) to power the PUMP only. If you plug the pump into one of those, it WILL run full speed as intended. Usually such a header also monitors its "fan" (the pump in this case) for failure and will give you a warning message if it does fail. However, the case fan header will NOT take automatic drastic action to shut down your system when that failure happens - YOU will need to shut down quickly if you ever get a warning that the "case fan" that really is your PUMP has failed. This arragnement leaves you with only ONE fan header to use for actual case ventilation fans, but that's not really a problem - using a Splitter or two you can connect at least threee standard case fans to a single header. You just have to pay attention to the 1.0 A limit for that header.

Reactions: pniok2

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Thanks for those details. I could not find a manual for the be Quiet Silent Loop system, but I found enough info to figure this out. The design is as I suspected - the pump is supposed to run full speed all the time, and control of the CPU temperature is done by having the CPU_FAN header control the two fans on the radiator. Further, the FANS are of the 4-pin PWM type, and the PUMP has a 3-pin connector. The info on the Intel DQ77MK mobo says it has one CPU_FAN header and two case fan headers; all of these are 4-pin type using only the new PWM Mode of control. That suits your needs just fine.

One type of info missing, however, is the current consumption (amperes) required by each fan and the pump. Typically such a fan might use 0.1 to 0.2 A each, and the pump less than 0.5 A. The limit to be met is that a single mobo fan header can supply up to 1.0 A total current. So, IF my guesses about amp ratings of the pump and fans are correct, it IS acceptable to connect all three devices to the CPU_GAN header with appropriate wiring. HOWEVER, if you can find Amp ratings on each fan AND on the pump unit, add them up. IF you can confirm that the total does not exceed 1.0 A, you can connect this way. BUT if the total exceeds 1.0 A, OR if you cannot find any such info and are worried about that limit, I will suggest at the end another way to make connections.

So, first plan for connecting ALL THREE devices to the CPU_FAN header IF the total current load does not exceed 1.0 A. You already have one Splitter so you can connect both fans to a single header. You will need one additional simple 2-putput Splitter similar to what you have, but do NOT get a Hub. A HUB is different and it always has a third type of cable "arm" that must plug into an output connector from the PSU. So, with the added Splitter, plug that into the CPU_FAN header. Now, look at that Splitter's two outputs, and one of them will have all four pins in it, while the other is missing Pin #3. Plug into the one with ALL FOUR pins the cable from the PUMP that ends in a 3-pin connector. This will ensure that the PUMP's speed signal is sent to the CPU_FAN header. That header pays special attention to the speed signal of its "fan" (in this case, the pump) to monitor it for FAILURE that might cause rapid heating of the CPU that could damage it. In an AIO system, it is failure of the PUMP that can cause the most dangerous potential for overheating, so that's the item that needs to be monitored closely. Now, connecting the PUMP's 3-pin cable to a 4-pin header that uses the new PWM Mode of control takes advantage of a quirk of design. Technically, this is a mis-match of 3-pin "fan" (really, pump) to a 4-pin header. That type of mis-match causes the 3-pin device (the pump here) to always run full speed with no ability to control its speed. That is exactly what we want for the pump.

Now, take the Splitter that has the two rad fans attached to it and plug that into the other output from your first Splitter - that is, the one that is missing Pin #3. This has a small impact you need to understand. Any fan header can deal with the speed signal coming back to it from only ONE fan - more causes confusion and wrong readings. So in fact a Spltter will only send back to its mobo header ONE of its fans' speeds and ignore the others. This means you can never "see" the speeds of the "other" fans. In the arrangement I suggest here, the ONLY speed sent back to the mobo CPU_FAN header is the PUMP speed (so it can be monitored for failure). The speeds of BOTH rad fans are NOT being sent anywhere you could measure them, so you will never know what they are. You CAN observe them and see that their speeds change as workload and heat change, but you won't see any number for their speed. This also means that there is no way for your mobo to warn you if those rad fans fail, so YOU will need to check them once in a while to be sure they both are still working.

If you do as I suggest there, your pump unit will always run full speed as designed AND it will be monitored for failure by the CPU_FAN header. Both fans on the radiator will have their speeds automatically controlled by the CPU_FAN header according to the actual temperature measured inside the CPU chip. And the two other CASE fan headers on your mobo (controlled by a mobo temperature sensor) will be available for case fans.

OK, PLAN #2 - IF you find that the total current for the pump plus two rad fans is over 1.0 A, or IF you are worried about that. The alternative is to keep the two rad fans together using the Splitter you have, and connect that to the CPU_FAN header so that their speeds are controlled automatically according to the CPU temperature. Then you need to use one of the two other fan headers (intended for case ventilation fans) to power the PUMP only. If you plug the pump into one of those, it WILL run full speed as intended. Usually such a header also monitors its "fan" (the pump in this case) for failure and will give you a warning message if it does fail. However, the case fan header will NOT take automatic drastic action to shut down your system when that failure happens - YOU will need to shut down quickly if you ever get a warning that the "case fan" that really is your PUMP has failed. This arragnement leaves you with only ONE fan header to use for actual case ventilation fans, but that's not really a problem - using a Splitter or two you can connect at least threee standard case fans to a single header. You just have to pay attention to the 1.0 A limit for that header.
when I plug the pump into the case fan header it doesn't run at full speed it runs at half the speed. also the radiator fans spin even slower on the cpu fan header no matter the cpu temperature.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you describe suggests to me that the two CASE FAN headers are set to use the older voltage Cotnrol Mode rather than the newer PWM Mode. Now, the manual I found for that mobo does not say that option is available, but maybe it is.

Are you familiar with the system of configuring mobo options in BIOS Setup? Usually it is a menu-based system with sub-menus. Once in it you can choose emnus for various classes of items, then sub-menus for specific devices (like a fan header), and then choose some options for that. At the end you can go back up the menu tree to the main emnu and choose the Exit menu. There you can choose to discard all the changes you made, or to
SAVE them and reboot the machine with those settings.

To get into the BIOS Setu scrrens on your mobo, right after you have turned it on and started the boo-up process, hold down the "F2" key. After a short time of booting activity it should show you the Setup Main Menu. from the manual I saw it is not clear which main section contains the options for fan headers, so you will need to look through the sections to find them. If you can do that, find one of the two case fan headers. and check its option choices. Many mobos offer a choice of two control Modes. One is the new PWM Mode; the other is called Voltage Control Mode or maybe DC Mode. IF you find you have this choice, set EACH of the case fan headers to use the PWM Mode. Then for EACH fan header check for another option - what type of fan speed control to use. You may have a choice of "Automatic" or "Standard" or something similar, or always full speed, or always a fixed slower (and quieter) speed). Set it for automatic speed control. Then back out (use the "Esc" key to the Main Menu and go to the Exit Menu. There choose to SAVE and EXIT.

If you can do that, the 3-pin PUMP you have ought to run at full speed when connected to the case fan headers, just as it does when you connect it to the CPU_FAN header. If that works, then you have all your fan headers configured properly and you can make the connections I detailed in my earlier post.