[SOLVED] Pump Stop in High Temps

Sep 20, 2019
First post and glad I'm here ... :hello:

When I put my system on stress using OCCT, P95, etc, everything seems normal in first minutes ... 60°C with VCore of 1.2V on 4690K.
after a few minutes, pump speed reduces down (It's been connected to CPU_Opt header) and of course, temp goes high.
in 10th - 15th minute, pump completely becomes off, so temp reaches 100°C and system throttles.

I don't remember either this issue was present in the past or not, but don't think so.

The question:
Is this a safety precaution for pump on all AIOs? or mine is broken and should get a new one.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention the cooler is Enermax Liqtech 240.

j32h_pump_failure.png

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like the pump block is toast. I believe Enermax uses a 2-stage Coolit pump and it looks like something in the pump head is overheating, causing the motor to freeze up. If it's an original Liqtech that wouldn't surprise me, they are getting long in the tooth now.

I can't think of any pump that actually uses a 4wire pump hookup. Generally it's 2 or 3 wire, no pwm. And even that's only a hazzard if using a sys_fan header and allocating bios to DC mode with control.

kanewolf

Titan
I would say you want to be sure the connection you have the pump connected to is set to full speed in the BIOS. No temperature correlation. It is possible your voltage regulators are overheating because there is no airflow near the CPU because of the AIO cooler.

Sep 20, 2019
I would say you want to be sure the connection you have the pump connected to is set to full speed in the BIOS. No temperature correlation. It is possible your voltage regulators are overheating because there is no airflow near the CPU because of the AIO cooler.
OPT_FAN is always at full 12V.
To double check that, I connected a fan to OPT header and pump to CHA_FAN and disabled Q-Fan for it.
This time, OPT header was showing full speed in stress which means no problem from OPT header and again, pump stopped although it was connected to another header.

Strange behaviour ... I want to be sure this behaviour is not present on other AIOs, so will go with another one.

Setup photo:

ykkw_img_20190911_025849.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019
When pump stops, try to lay down your pc, release the radiator and start moving it. Try positioning the radiator face to face with the block. That would show if something is blocking the liquid flow. I doubt it but give it a try.
Sorry for delayed answer ... I wasn't able to login to my account.

I did all tricks including yours and became sure the problem is heat.
So I've decided to go with ML240L RGB.
But worry it will be suffering from the same issue.

Could you and other members verify your pumps are not being stopped/reduced when temperature goes further than 70-80°C

Sorry for delayed answer ... I wasn't able to login to my account.

I did all tricks including yours and became sure the problem is heat.
So I've decided to go with ML240L RGB.
But worry it will be suffering from the same issue.

Could you and other members verify your pumps are not being stopped/reduced when temperature goes further than 70-80°C
No it doesn't, like it shouldn't. Does the cooler have a dedicated software to control fan and pump speeds? If so, have you tried re-installing it? It's hard to believe that the mobo 12V header randomly stops delivering power. In my case, Corsair Link simply overrides bios fan control (voltage) and runs the pump at full speed all the time. To do this, the water block is connected to motherboard through internal usb connector.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
When I did the review on the Liqtech 360 for Threadripper, I think it is only PWM powered.

This sounds curiously like the fan curve for the header is setup incorrectly, or the fan curve for one header is being mistaken for another.

I would mention that pump speed should always be 100%; radiator fan speed is really the only thing that needs PWM curves set (on an AIO)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the pump block is toast. I believe Enermax uses a 2-stage Coolit pump and it looks like something in the pump head is overheating, causing the motor to freeze up. If it's an original Liqtech that wouldn't surprise me, they are getting long in the tooth now.

I can't think of any pump that actually uses a 4wire pump hookup. Generally it's 2 or 3 wire, no pwm. And even that's only a hazzard if using a sys_fan header and allocating bios to DC mode with control.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 20, 2019
No it doesn't, like it shouldn't. Does the cooler have a dedicated software to control fan and pump speeds? If so, have you tried re-installing it? It's hard to believe that the mobo 12V header randomly stops delivering power. In my case, Corsair Link simply overrides bios fan control (voltage) and runs the pump at full speed all the time. To do this, the water block is connected to motherboard through internal usb connector.
No SW.
Mobo OPT_FAN header always delivers full 12V.
I tried it by connecting a fan to it and starting a stress test.

When I did the review on the Liqtech 360 for Threadripper, I think it is only PWM powered.

This sounds curiously like the fan curve for the header is setup incorrectly, or the fan curve for one header is being mistaken for another.

I would mention that pump speed should always be 100%; radiator fan speed is really the only thing that needs PWM curves set (on an AIO)
Liqtech 360 is much much newer ... maybe 4 years.
mine is 3 pin.

Yeah ... it's original Liqtech and ancient. 😁
If I stop the test and let it cool down for a few minutes, It's going back to stock 2200 rpm.

Have decided to buy a Silverstone Tundra TD02-RGB v2 untill now as replacement for my semi-dead Liqtech.

Sep 20, 2019
View: https://youtu.be/HC1kzO_gIp4
If it's still under warranty, you may have some recourse.
:oops:
I disassembled mine and found a few gunks (not many), but there was no significant corrosion on micro-channels.
Also looked at pump and couldn't realize any difference with newer models which are dual-chamber.
Last week, one of my friends who has Liqmax II, faced with similar issue.
Seems the cause of problem is a bit mysterious. ;)

By the way, I also delidded my 4690K with Conductonaut and with new cooler, everything is ok.
85°C on Linpack Xtreme at 4.4 GHz with 1.312 VCore and 1.792 VCCIN

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All it takes is that little bit of gunk to block off a few of those micro fins channels and you loose surface area the liquid can really travel down, but are still faced with a cpus output heating the entire surface. Be like putting a chunk of cardboard behind the fan on an aircooler.