[SOLVED] Pumps and head pressure ...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've been testing out several pumps and working with Koolance PMP-600 at variable voltages from 12-24v. The pump is not as good as I hoped even at 24v 2.2a see my video here.
Koolance claim Max head pressure at 11m (36ft rise). This pump is sadly not able to generate enough head pressure to work water (even primed) thru a moderately complex loop (one 120mm x 60mm radiator, one 240mm x 60mm radiator, CPU block, VRM block, GPU block, reservoir) not really optimized but it shouldn't need to be for a pump rated at this head pressure. I've tried loosening up radiator drain holes to release pressure, but that made no difference.

Here is the loop layout that I'm going to have to rethink (small case, mid-tower):

uc

I have an EK-XTOP Revo dual D5 pump, but that's being used in another project.

I've tried moving the reservoir up top, but that has made no difference.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Rob.

Solution
Hmm. GPU in and out seem typical. CPU the same, inlet should be the center and that is what I am seeing here. Pump in and out look correct.

Jet plate clear of everything, all new parts? Have you gotten water through the motherboard?

I would almost ditch the 120mm radiator and go for push pull on the thick one. I would think a vertical mount at the rear of the case for the pump and res might work for a more pleasing arrangement.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. GPU in and out seem typical. CPU the same, inlet should be the center and that is what I am seeing here. Pump in and out look correct.

Jet plate clear of everything, all new parts? Have you gotten water through the motherboard?

I would almost ditch the 120mm radiator and go for push pull on the thick one. I would think a vertical mount at the rear of the case for the pump and res might work for a more pleasing arrangement.

Solution

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried some alternate configurations and "I think" the issues is front 240 x 60mm radiator mounted with ports at the top rather than flip it to have the ports at the bottom. I'll test that out tomorrow.

I did remove the 120mm x 60mm radiator and relocated the reservoir at top, unfortunately the same problem. I also verified all the parts are good and have working flow and the Koolance PMP-600 is pushing 572 L/h at 12V. Even at 24V the PMP-600 can't seem to overcome the radiator mounted with ports at the top.

Cheers, Rob.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is odd. I generally put my radiators with the ports on the bottom as well to hide the tubes in the basement, but it shouldn't matter, still pumping uphill twice. Unless the radiator does have an indicated flow direction, only aware of a few that do.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The radiator is an EK-CoolStream XE 240 that I've used before without issue but much lower in the loop and ports were below pump and mounted sideways (using the same pump).

Everything in my loop is brass/copper and no signs of any chemical reactions. Has me puzzled, will report back to see if flipping the radiator works. I've built 100's of WC systems and never experience this problem before ... but I do usually work with a larger case (much larger) so have better mounting options.

Cheers, Rob.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I discovered my error, embarrassing to say the least ... I must be working too late (it was 3am - 3 nights in a row). I use protective caps that I place in the compression fitting hole to prevent anything from falling into the block and/or radiator etc. It seems I forgot to remove one (actually two) from the compression fitting that exits VRM block ...

uc

uc

Ugh ... after all these years of building water cooling PC I finally forgot to remove one cap ... anyway back up and running well now just need some pump time to get the air bubbles out:

uc

Don't need to run 24V, working well at 12V.

Thanks for the suggestions, something was indeed blocking the loop.

Cheers, Rob.

TRENDING THREADS