Pundit-R?

Looking to replace my current base unit with something small and quiet.

Pundit-R looks a better bet than a shuttle as it's smaller, looks a little
more discrete/tasteful, and has 2 PCI slots and onboard DVI.

My question is does anyone have one who can comment on just how good they
are?

What's the noise like (specs imply whisper quiet)?

Can the stock fans be replaced with silent ones?

regards
Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net

> Looking to replace my current base unit with something small and quiet.
>
> Pundit-R looks a better bet than a shuttle as it's smaller, looks a little
> more discrete/tasteful, and has 2 PCI slots and onboard DVI.
>
> My question is does anyone have one who can comment on just how good they
> are?
>
> What's the noise like (specs imply whisper quiet)?
>
> Can the stock fans be replaced with silent ones?

I have a Pundit system, it is very quiet in operation, I see no need to
replace the standard HSF on mine. The hot air is ducted through some holes
in the side of the case so the hot air never gets to accumulate in the box,
if you were to change the CPU fan arrangement you may loose the direct
extraction.

The lack of AGP slot does limit you in the choice of graphic cards if you
don't want to use the onboard stuff.

My system is basically used as a jukebox with MusicMatch. I am using the
onboard sound, which isn't too bad, feeding into my hi-fi. The onboard
graphics are fine for what I am using it for. Quite often the only
indication the box is on is the blue LED rather than the whir of a fan.

I have built Shuttle boxes too, you do get the option of AGP with them,
although in my experience they do tend to be noisier than the Pundit, and as
you say, the Pundit looks more discrete with everything hidden away.

Adam S