Purchase Dell System from Costco?

Hi All:

I'm considering buying the Dell Dimension 8400 desktop system. I've checked
Dell's website, customized the system in various ways (including purchasing
the monitor separately), and arrived at a total price that reflected all of
the current "offers".

I noticed that the Costco website at www.costco.com sells the exact system I
want. My local Costco store doesn't sell Dell systems; I can only get it
online. The Costco system can't be customized, but by amazing coincidence,
it is well equipped and includes everything I want. When I compared the
total Costco price to the Dell website price, it was almost $100 less from
Costco, even though Costco shipping was around $50 and Dell shipping was
free. I'm thinking that the advantage of ordering it from Costco, besides
lower cost, is that Costco has a 6-month return policy, and I can return it
at any Costco store. If I buy from Dell, I'll have 21 days and have to pay
shipping charges. CA sales tax applies to both Dell and Costco websites.
Also, Costco has a $200 instant "coupon" while placing the online order,
while Dell has a rebate offer that may take months to receive. I assume
that time for shipping would be about the same for both Dell and Costco,
unless the standardized Costco system is regularly stocked.

Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how was
the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco website and
never had a problem.

Thanx,
Key Bored

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:00:23 -0800, "Key Bored"
<nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote:

>Hi All:
>
>I'm considering buying the Dell Dimension 8400 desktop system. I've checked
>Dell's website, customized the system in various ways (including purchasing
>the monitor separately), and arrived at a total price that reflected all of
>the current "offers".
>
>I noticed that the Costco website at www.costco.com sells the exact system I
>want. My local Costco store doesn't sell Dell systems; I can only get it
>online. The Costco system can't be customized, but by amazing coincidence,
>it is well equipped and includes everything I want. When I compared the
>total Costco price to the Dell website price, it was almost $100 less from
>Costco, even though Costco shipping was around $50 and Dell shipping was
>free. I'm thinking that the advantage of ordering it from Costco, besides
>lower cost, is that Costco has a 6-month return policy, and I can return it
>at any Costco store. If I buy from Dell, I'll have 21 days and have to pay
>shipping charges. CA sales tax applies to both Dell and Costco websites.
>Also, Costco has a $200 instant "coupon" while placing the online order,
>while Dell has a rebate offer that may take months to receive. I assume
>that time for shipping would be about the same for both Dell and Costco,
>unless the standardized Costco system is regularly stocked.
>
>Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how was
>the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco website and
>never had a problem.

I haven't, but what you describe sounds good to me! I did purchase my
first digital camera from Costco online 5 years ago--$829 worth--so
was likewise concerned at the time.

Like you, I've made other on-line Costco purchases without problem.

--John W. Wells

David

I would buy it from Costco, just because of the 6 mos return policy. I've
bought numerous items from Costco online in the past, and have been happy.
If for whatever reason you decide you do not like the computer, you can
return it your local Costco store with NO HASSLE within 6 months.

Key Bored wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I'm considering buying the Dell Dimension 8400 desktop system. I've
> checked Dell's website, customized the system in various ways
> (including purchasing the monitor separately), and arrived at a total
> price that reflected all of the current "offers".
>
> I noticed that the Costco website at www.costco.com sells the exact
> system I want. My local Costco store doesn't sell Dell systems; I
> can only get it online. The Costco system can't be customized, but
> by amazing coincidence, it is well equipped and includes everything I
> want. When I compared the total Costco price to the Dell website
> price, it was almost $100 less from Costco, even though Costco
> shipping was around $50 and Dell shipping was free. I'm thinking
> that the advantage of ordering it from Costco, besides lower cost, is
> that Costco has a 6-month return policy, and I can return it at any
> Costco store. If I buy from Dell, I'll have 21 days and have to pay
> shipping charges. CA sales tax applies to both Dell and Costco
> websites. Also, Costco has a $200 instant "coupon" while placing the
> online order, while Dell has a rebate offer that may take months to
> receive. I assume that time for shipping would be about the same for
> both Dell and Costco, unless the standardized Costco system is
> regularly stocked.
> Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how
> was the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco
> website and never had a problem.
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

Supporting David, Cosco is one of the best online operations I've dealt
with. They have no problem shipping to second addresses for gifts,
their return policy is the absolute best anywhere, and the goods are
first rate - often with additional items free that they don't note on
the order. They have modified their return policy because of abuse
(some were getting a new computer twice per year!), but it remains the
best.

David

"David" <elementz@despammed.com> wrote in message news:<vAbkd.8250$14.4156@read1.cgocable.net>...
> I would buy it from Costco, just because of the 6 mos return policy. I've
> bought numerous items from Costco online in the past, and have been happy.
> If for whatever reason you decide you do not like the computer, you can
> return it your local Costco store with NO HASSLE within 6 months.

Just make SURE the 6 month return covers Dell computers. My local
equivalent (Sam's Club) also has the 6 month return policy and sells
Dell computers on their website BUT the Dell computers have only a 30 day
return policy...just double check...
Dave

I don't know about dell (but suspect the same is true as other
manufacturers), but I purchased a Gateway at Best Buy and was disillusioned
by the "retail" purchase. I have responded in this newsgroup and the
Gateway newsgroup. The couple of differences I found - is that the support
number for retail sales is long distance. Also you ONLY get a symantic
ghost image restore disk - so your ONLY option if you need to reformat is to
load your system back to the config as it comes out of the box. They do not
give you an OEM copy of windows to install as you like. If that matters to
you, you may want to check it out. Gateway did tell me they include the
windows xp if you order from them -either by phone or online.

"John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
> [...]

> $100 less from Costco, even though Costco shipping was around $50 and Dell
> shipping was free. I'm thinking that the advantage of ordering it from
> Costco, besides lower cost, is that Costco has a 6-month return policy,
> and I can return it at any Costco store. If I buy from Dell, I'll have 21
> days and have to pay shipping charges. CA sales tax applies to both Dell
> and Costco websites. Also, Costco has a $200 instant "coupon" while
> placing the online order, while Dell has a rebate offer that may take
> months to receive. I assume that time for shipping would be about the
> same for both Dell and Costco, unless the standardized Costco system is
> regularly stocked.
>
> Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how was
> the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco website and

I purchased my Dell XPS 3Ghz system August, 2003 from Costco. Costco was
having a sale and even with purchasing a membership I saved several hundred
dollars. There is a special phone number for tech support for Costco
customers.

The only thing my computer didn't come with was a microphone! Still very
happy with the system. No tech problems.

I would definitely buy a Dell from Costco again.

P DeMers

David

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<XUmkd.26104$Al3.16295@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...
> It's official. According to the Dell moderator in the Dell Presales forum,
> they no longer include CDs.

Just received an Inspiron 1150 on Monday the 8th (new not refurb.)
DID include Winxp home oem cd, drivers, dvd and burner software cds.
Did a clean install right away and worked fine..and deleted the
restore and
diag partitions. I WILL NOT purchase a Dell again if the oem windows
cd is
not included anymore (and I do realize this will/has happened).
I will build my own or purchase from a smaller vendor.
I DID get a good deal on this laptop and am quite satisfied.
Paid US $698 shipped with dvd rom/cd burner, internal wireless adapter
and one year mail in warranty. PLEASE Dell..at least offer the option
when
ordering to include the oem cds...I DON'T want to call for them etc.
Best wishes..
Dave

Pam wrote:
> Again this is not a problem if you don't care about what software and trial
> software is on your system. I understand when the ship, it has a config
> based on their license, but how many times do you need to delete Paint Shop
> trial edition? If you don't want it you should be given the choice to not
> install if you choose to reformat and reinstall windows etc. In the future
> if you make hardware changes, you have to install the old drivers for the
> removed hardware, then reinstall the new drivers for the new hardware.
> Maybe this is the way to go for someone who has never had a computer, but
> not me. I would rather they give the option to buy the computer with no
> software and let you buy your own os as desired, even if it cost more.

It might be more advantageous for the end-user to buy
a HD imaging application such as Ghost, Tru-Image, etc.,
and make a custom recovery CD-R set instead of relying
on the OEM recovery CD-R and reloading from the very
beginning.

Received a refurb Inspiron 600M yesterday...with all CDs.

"David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It's official. According to the Dell moderator in the Dell Presales
>> forum,
>> they no longer include CDs.
>>
> Just received an Inspiron 1150 on Monday the 8th (new not refurb.)
> DID include Winxp home oem cd, drivers, dvd and burner software cds.
> Did a clean install right away and worked fine..and deleted the
> restore and
> diag partitions. I WILL NOT purchase a Dell again if the oem windows
> cd is
> not included anymore (and I do realize this will/has happened).
> I will build my own or purchase from a smaller vendor.
> I DID get a good deal on this laptop and am quite satisfied.
> Paid US $698 shipped with dvd rom/cd burner, internal wireless adapter
> and one year mail in warranty. PLEASE Dell..at least offer the option
> when
> ordering to include the oem cds...I DON'T want to call for them etc.
> Best wishes..
> Dave

the dells sold at costco are a good value, but as you noted are a fixed
configuration. they are also fully loaded machines complete with software
and long warranties. if that is what you are after then they represent a
'every day low price' that is only occasionally beaten by promotions offered
directly by dell (but you have to watch regularly/daily for the promotions
and know what represents a good value... something that an occasional buyer
probably has little interest). but for those that are not looking for such
a complete system with a long warranty then buying directly from dell may be
a better way to go. i would suggest checking to see if the six month return
policy applies to computer purchases, or specifically dell computer
purchases... six months is a very long time in the computer world and it
seems to me to be incomprehensible for them to offer this generous return
policy on any computer.

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I'm considering buying the Dell Dimension 8400 desktop system. I've
> checked Dell's website, customized the system in various ways (including
> purchasing the monitor separately), and arrived at a total price that
> reflected all of the current "offers".
>
> I noticed that the Costco website at www.costco.com sells the exact system
> I want. My local Costco store doesn't sell Dell systems; I can only get
> it online. The Costco system can't be customized, but by amazing
> coincidence, it is well equipped and includes everything I want. When I
> compared the total Costco price to the Dell website price, it was almost
> $100 less from Costco, even though Costco shipping was around $50 and Dell
> shipping was free. I'm thinking that the advantage of ordering it from
> Costco, besides lower cost, is that Costco has a 6-month return policy,
> and I can return it at any Costco store. If I buy from Dell, I'll have 21
> days and have to pay shipping charges. CA sales tax applies to both Dell
> and Costco websites. Also, Costco has a $200 instant "coupon" while
> placing the online order, while Dell has a rebate offer that may take
> months to receive. I assume that time for shipping would be about the
> same for both Dell and Costco, unless the standardized Costco system is
> regularly stocked.
>
> Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how was
> the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco website and
> never had a problem.
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

this was costco's reply to my inquiry, wow....
Thank you for e-mailing costco.com.

Costco.com has a 100% guarantee on all of our merchandise. If you are not

completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer three convenient return
methods.

Costco.com refunds include shipping and handling fees.

1. You can return the item to the nearest Costco Wholesale location.

To find a location, please copy and paste the following URL address

into your URL browser: http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Locator.aspx

2. You can contact us at 1-800-955-2292 to request a return/refund.

(costco.com hours, M-F 6 am to 6 pm, Sat. 8 am to 5 pm, PST)

3. You can reply to this e-mail at customerservice@costco.com. Please

include your name, order confirmation number, phone number, and reason

for return. You will be contacted regarding your return within 5 to 7
business days.

Please note, as of November 4th, 2002 , the return policy for all desktop

and notebook computers is six months from the date of purchase.

Six months after purchase, all computer services and technical support

will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturer's warranty.

This is an automated message based upon your subject selection.

Thank you for shopping costco.com!

Costco Wholesale Corporation

> the dells sold at costco are a good value, but as you noted are a fixed
> configuration. they are also fully loaded machines complete with software
> and long warranties. if that is what you are after then they represent a
> 'every day low price' that is only occasionally beaten by promotions
> offered directly by dell (but you have to watch regularly/daily for the
> promotions and know what represents a good value... something that an
> occasional buyer probably has little interest). but for those that are
> not looking for such a complete system with a long warranty then buying
> directly from dell may be a better way to go. i would suggest checking to
> see if the six month return policy applies to computer purchases, or
> specifically dell computer purchases... six months is a very long time in
> the computer world and it seems to me to be incomprehensible for them to
> offer this generous return policy on any computer.
>
> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I'm considering buying the Dell Dimension 8400 desktop system. I've
>> checked Dell's website, customized the system in various ways (including
>> purchasing the monitor separately), and arrived at a total price that
>> reflected all of the current "offers".
>>
>> I noticed that the Costco website at www.costco.com sells the exact
>> system I want. My local Costco store doesn't sell Dell systems; I can
>> only get it online. The Costco system can't be customized, but by
>> amazing coincidence, it is well equipped and includes everything I want.
>> When I compared the total Costco price to the Dell website price, it was
>> almost $100 less from Costco, even though Costco shipping was around $50
>> and Dell shipping was free. I'm thinking that the advantage of ordering
>> it from Costco, besides lower cost, is that Costco has a 6-month return
>> policy, and I can return it at any Costco store. If I buy from Dell,
>> I'll have 21 days and have to pay shipping charges. CA sales tax applies
>> to both Dell and Costco websites. Also, Costco has a $200 instant
>> "coupon" while placing the online order, while Dell has a rebate offer
>> that may take months to receive. I assume that time for shipping would
>> be about the same for both Dell and Costco, unless the standardized
>> Costco system is regularly stocked.
>>
>> Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how was
>> the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco website and
>> never had a problem.
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Key Bored

"Wow" is right. That's quite an extended and localized security blanket for
many buyers and worthy of serious consideration.

Stew

> [...]
>>> almost $100 less from Costco, even though Costco shipping was around $50
>>> and Dell shipping was free. I'm thinking that the advantage of ordering
>>> it from Costco, besides lower cost, is that Costco has a 6-month return
>>> policy, and I can return it at any Costco store. If I buy from Dell,
>>> I'll have 21 days and have to pay shipping charges. CA sales tax
>>> applies to both Dell and Costco websites. Also, Costco has a $200
>>> instant "coupon" while placing the online order, while Dell has a rebate
>>> offer that may take months to receive. I assume that time for shipping
>>> would be about the same for both Dell and Costco, unless the
>>> standardized Costco system is regularly stocked.
>>>
>>> Has anyone purchased a Dell system from Costco's website? If so, how
>>> was the experience? I have purchased other items from the Costco

dick

Sears Roebuck used to be like that. Maybe Costco took their lead from
the old Sears policy. Twenty years ago, I had my first experience
with returning a computer to Costco. It was a 286 machine complete
with monitor. It was just under a year old. Don't even remember what
the problem was. When I came to the entrance, the employee directed
me to the computer section. When I got there with my cart, I told the
Costco person my computer didn't work and showed him my receipt. He
took my boxes, picked up new ones from the shelf, and sent me on my
way. These days, it's a little more involved. You have to take it to
the Customer Service counter and get your money back. Then you can
buy another or just keep the money. And as has been mentioned, the
time has been reduced from one year to six months. I don't think
anyone in the country has as good a return policy. In fact, a major
criteria for us when moving is finding out if there is a Costco
nearby. No Costco, no moving.

Dick

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:25:54 -0600, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Wow" is right. That's quite an extended and localized security blanket for
>many buyers and worthy of serious consideration.
>

>Stew

"No Costco, no moving."

I have a similar outlook with regard to dietary fiber.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> Sears Roebuck used to be like that. Maybe Costco took their lead from
> the old Sears policy. Twenty years ago, I had my first experience
> with returning a computer to Costco. It was a 286 machine complete
> with monitor. It was just under a year old. Don't even remember what
> the problem was. When I came to the entrance, the employee directed
> me to the computer section. When I got there with my cart, I told the
> Costco person my computer didn't work and showed him my receipt. He
> took my boxes, picked up new ones from the shelf, and sent me on my
> way. These days, it's a little more involved. You have to take it to
> the Customer Service counter and get your money back. Then you can
> buy another or just keep the money. And as has been mentioned, the
> time has been reduced from one year to six months. I don't think
> anyone in the country has as good a return policy. In fact, a major
> criteria for us when moving is finding out if there is a Costco
> nearby. No Costco, no moving.
>
> Dick
>

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:25:54 -0600, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

> >"Wow" is right. That's quite an extended and localized security blanket
for
> >many buyers and worthy of serious consideration.
> >

> >Stew

dick

Actually, it was an 8086 machine.

> "No Costco, no moving."
>
> I have a similar outlook with regard to dietary fiber.
> --
> Ted Zieglar

"But seriously, folks....."

heh

Stew

dick

Touche'

"Pld" <pld@xyz.net> wrote:
>There is a special phone number for tech support for Costco
>customers.

This is the key, the system does not come with a Dell warranty, it
comes with a Costco warranty, you'll want to check the details
carefully.

While I can't say anything much good about Dell's recent tech support
and their Outsourcing To India policies, in the end I've usually
convinced Dell to ship me the new (motherboard, fan assembly, power
supply, whatever) in fairly quick order hardware problems.

I've never gotten Dell to solve a software problem, and have given up
trying. I consider them to have a good hardware warranty, no software
support, and a horrendous spare parts and accessories order process,
but that's a whole nother thread.

The only interface I've ever had with a Costco Refurb Compaq (yeah, I
know, run screaming, but that's what the client had bought) was a
bunch of phone calls between Compaq, Costco, and Costco's captive PC
repair group, with increasingly irate imprecations of "I HAVE A PIECE
OF PAPER HERE THAT SAYS I HAVE A ONE YEAR WARRANTY".

You may wish (in a couple of years when the fan gets noisy or the
power supply fails) that you had spent the extra $100...

dick

The warranty for Dell computers purchased at Costco is the Dell
warranty. The only difference is that you get the additional bonus of
being able to return it to Costco within 6-months no questions asked.

Here is the warranty information copied directly off the Costco
website. I did not check every Dell computer to see if the same
3-years apply.

Dick

1) Dell 3-Year Limited Warranty: For a copy of Dell guarantees or
limited warranties, please write: Dell USA L.P., Attn: Warranties, One
Dell Way, Round Rock, TX 78682. Or for more information, visit
http://www.dell4me.com/termsandconditions.
2) 3-Year at home service: At-home service provided via third-party
contract with customer. Technician will be dispatched if necessary
following phone-based troubleshooting often the next business day.
Availability varies. Other conditions apply. Problems normally can be
solved with a Dell online or phone technician without an in-home
service call. If not, a Dell technician will troubleshoot the cause of
the problem online or over the phone. If you need a part, the
replacement part can be shipped and if necessary, a technician will be
sent to install it, often the next business day. Service is subject to
parts availability and customers' contract with third party. Other
conditions apply.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Pld" <pld@xyz.net> wrote:
>>There is a special phone number for tech support for Costco
>>customers.
>
> This is the key, the system does not come with a Dell warranty, it
> comes with a Costco warranty, you'll want to check the details
> carefully.
>
> While I can't say anything much good about Dell's recent tech support
> and their Outsourcing To India policies, in the end I've usually
> convinced Dell to ship me the new (motherboard, fan assembly, power
> supply, whatever) in fairly quick order hardware problems.
>
> I've never gotten Dell to solve a software problem, and have given up
> trying. I consider them to have a good hardware warranty, no software
> support, and a horrendous spare parts and accessories order process,
> but that's a whole nother thread.
>
> The only interface I've ever had with a Costco Refurb Compaq (yeah, I
> know, run screaming, but that's what the client had bought) was a
> bunch of phone calls between Compaq, Costco, and Costco's captive PC
> repair group, with increasingly irate imprecations of "I HAVE A PIECE
> OF PAPER HERE THAT SAYS I HAVE A ONE YEAR WARRANTY".
>
> You may wish (in a couple of years when the fan gets noisy or the
> power supply fails) that you had spent the extra $100...

Well stated.

Stew

I agree that would be acceptible IF you had a way to set the system up the
way you want. As it is now with the restore cds, you can only go back to
original config, then "uninstall" what you don't want. If you know about
uninstalling - all traces of the programs are NOT gone. So to me that is
not an option. Without the oem windows you cannot easily get a config to
even image.
"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> Pam wrote:
>> Again this is not a problem if you don't care about what software and
>> trial software is on your system. I understand when the ship, it has a
>> config based on their license, but how many times do you need to delete
>> Paint Shop trial edition? If you don't want it you should be given the
>> choice to not install if you choose to reformat and reinstall windows
>> etc. In the future if you make hardware changes, you have to install the
>> old drivers for the removed hardware, then reinstall the new drivers for
>> the new hardware. Maybe this is the way to go for someone who has never
>> had a computer, but not me. I would rather they give the option to buy
>> the computer with no software and let you buy your own os as desired,
>> even if it cost more.
>>

> It might be more advantageous for the end-user to buy
> a HD imaging application such as Ghost, Tru-Image, etc.,
> and make a custom recovery CD-R set instead of relying
> on the OEM recovery CD-R and reloading from the very
> beginning.

Why not use a real backup program that enables you to create a disaster
recovery CD?
You boot from the DR CD and then restore the drives to the backed up state.

Probably can do this with Retrospect.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> I agree that would be acceptible IF you had a way to set the system up the
> way you want. As it is now with the restore cds, you can only go back to
> original config, then "uninstall" what you don't want. If you know about
> uninstalling - all traces of the programs are NOT gone. So to me that is
> not an option. Without the oem windows you cannot easily get a config to
> even image.
> "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
> >
> > Pam wrote:
> >> Again this is not a problem if you don't care about what software and
> >> trial software is on your system. I understand when the ship, it has a
> >> config based on their license, but how many times do you need to delete
> >> Paint Shop trial edition? If you don't want it you should be given the
> >> choice to not install if you choose to reformat and reinstall windows
> >> etc. In the future if you make hardware changes, you have to install
the
> >> old drivers for the removed hardware, then reinstall the new drivers
for
> >> the new hardware. Maybe this is the way to go for someone who has never
> >> had a computer, but not me. I would rather they give the option to buy
> >> the computer with no software and let you buy your own os as desired,
> >> even if it cost more.
> >>

> > It might be more advantageous for the end-user to buy
> > a HD imaging application such as Ghost, Tru-Image, etc.,
> > and make a custom recovery CD-R set instead of relying
> > on the OEM recovery CD-R and reloading from the very
> > beginning.

> It's official. According to the Dell moderator in the Dell Presales
forum,
> they no longer include CDs.

Where are the Dell forums?

TRENDING THREADS