Purchase Windows 7 or 8.1, given that 10 is coming out so soon?

Mancolt

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
It looks like I'm going to have to purchase Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. It turns out the Windows 7 CD I have was just an upgrade license, and I can't find any earlier versions of Windows to upgrade from. So I have 30 days before I need to buy a copy of Windows.

Which would you get: Windows 7 or 8.1? Are there any sites (legitimate) to get Windows 7 or 8.1 for less than full retail? Do they ever go on sale?

Since Windows 10 is coming out so soon, does it matter which version I get? I'm under the impression that you get a free Windows 10 upgrade as long as you have either 7 or 8.1. I'm assuming one could also just buy Windows 10 once it's released. Is there any reason to just use my 30 day trial period and buy Windows 10 once it's released, as opposed to using a free upgrade from 7/8.1?

Solution
If the "upgrade" license is not already in use, you can use it to do a fresh install on a computer. When you get to the activation part of the install it will either accept it or give you the option to activate later. Once installed you can go through Microsoft's phone validation process and you are set. I have done this several times over the years on my clients and my own machines when upgrading, replacing or just reinstalling Windows 7.

And according to MS, all versions of Windows 7, be it starter, upgrade, or whatever, will be treated the same as long as the license is legit.
If the "upgrade" license is not already in use, you can use it to do a fresh install on a computer. When you get to the activation part of the install it will either accept it or give you the option to activate later. Once installed you can go through Microsoft's phone validation process and you are set. I have done this several times over the years on my clients and my own machines when upgrading, replacing or just reinstalling Windows 7.

And according to MS, all versions of Windows 7, be it starter, upgrade, or whatever, will be treated the same as long as the license is legit.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS