Purchased a 6950, came with BIOS switch however...

voodoo22007

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Bought a recertified Visiontek 6950. It looks like the switch was broken off. Is there a way to confirm that the shaders will unlock without ruining my ability to return it? Pic below

No I didn't mean you I meant them.They have to do it in their factory.But I'm sure you can find a BIOS update and do it yourself.

It looks like the switch can still slide.Just use a piece of plastic or rubber to move the switch.Don't use your fingers or a screwdriver.The contacts are exposed so you will likely ESD it.

voodoo22007

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ah. AlsoI heard that they started laser cutting the shaders or something to that effect. Is there a way to determine if they did it to this board during the reman?

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Google the part number with "unlock" and see if what other people are saying. As purple says you should be able to slide it along to the other position using something else.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It's a recertified card so there is a good chance that it was returned due to a previous unlocking attempt. I read on Newegg about somebody else getting the same card with the bios switch broken off so it seems that Visiontek/Newegg might be doing that with these "recertified" cards.

Frankly, if they are willing to sell you a card that has been partly disabled and "recertified" then I'd try it out for unlocking and return it if it failed.

voodoo22007

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
It turns out that the switch was broken and it was in the 2 position. So I used a toothpick and pushed it into the 1 position, took it to a buddy's house that has a rig able to use this card and flashed it. Fortunately it unlocked. I even bought another 6950 from the same place and it should get here tomorrow.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS