[SOLVED] Purchased a new monitor that got Tom's Hardware's highest recommendation. Has a peculiar issue though...

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Hi all. Long time Internet forum user, first time poster here. Over the weekend I picked up the Aorus FI27Q-P monitor as an upgrade to my old 27" monitor. I have to say I'm rather impressed and it does live up to much of Tom's Hardware's glowing review but it does have 1 issue to it I didn't see coming. This affects only games that are HDR capable (Anthem, Tom Clancy's The Division 2 for example). Anytime a game loads that is HDR capable it winds up doing something very weird: when HDR is activated it also switches the game's audio feed to work only and exclusively from the monitor itself. Here's what I have done to troubleshoot so far:

• Disabled HDR in games that use it
  • Disabled ANC
  • Changed DisplayPort properties from 1.4 + HDR to 1.2
  • Updated firmware on the monitor to the latest version
Issue still persisted after all of this. I also have a forum post open at Gigabyte's forums so you could say I am calling for help and calling all cars at the same time. Does anyone here also own the Aorus FI27Q-P and run into this same peculiar issue? I should mention one more thing: My monitor and video card are DisplayPort 1.4 ready but I am only using a DisplayPort 1.2 cable to connect them. Not sure if that makes a difference but thought I'd throw it out there in the same of full disclosure of information towards my problem. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this. Out!

Solution
Have you tried to disable every audio device other than your speakers?

• Open Sound in Control panel (not Settings app)
  • Select each Playback device one at a time
  • Click on Properties under "Device Usage" change to "Don't use this device (disable)" and click OK
  • Repeat for each device you don't use.
  • Set the Speakers you do use to default.
Have you tried to disable every audio device other than your speakers?

• Open Sound in Control panel (not Settings app)
  • Select each Playback device one at a time
  • Click on Properties under "Device Usage" change to "Don't use this device (disable)" and click OK
  • Repeat for each device you don't use.
  • Set the Speakers you do use to default.

Reactions: RareAir23
Solution

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Hi velocityg4. As a veteran IT technician of about 20 years your proposed solution was indeed on my mind last night but as we are medical professionals of the PC realm as they say in the medical field, "I wanted a second opinion to be sure and certain." I've done what you suggested and will test later today (as I am working from home it'll be on my lunch hour). Also, one thing to ask: isn't it peculiar this phenomenon only occurs on games that can use HDR and have it enabled? Any game that does not use HDR I have no issues with. Thanks again. Out!

@RareAir23 that's just my go to when the wrong audio device is used. As I've had too many HDMI monitors where the computer wants to use it as audio. Even though speakers are connected.

At any rate that is odd that it only occurs in that instance. I can only guess that there is some setting in Windows where HDR = HDMI audio. There's probably something to correct this by digging through the Sound Control Panel. Disabling the audio source just seems easier. Won't know until you try though.

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Hi @velocityg4 . The solution you provided (disabling all other audio sources except my sound card that the 5.1 surround system was plugged into) resolved the issue. I also did turn off HDR because while the Aorus FI27Q-P can use it I read it doesn't have the correct hardware to really cause a huge boost in picture quality. It is missing a FALD (Full-Array Local Dimming) backlight unit according to Tom's Hardware's review where with the unit it would make a big difference. Thanks so much for your help and until next time I am out!