purchased hp system recovery disks for win7 pro o.s. do not work with advanced format hd.

Don Soehngen

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
H.P. Windows 7 Pro Desktop was purchased w/western digital green label 1tb drive. Attempts to replace hd with wd black label 1tb drive (advanced format) by loading windows 7 pro from purchased recovery disks failed. Bios checks o.k. Recovery operation starts, but presents a blank a Recovery Manager screen without options (i.e. blank), shortly followed with message that the system recovery does not support the computer configuration. Checked w/hp support and they confirmed we have the correct recovery disk set, but left us hanging in outer space as to what to next (computer and disks purchased in 2010). Help ??

Yep that would be correct. Windows 7 (not Windows 7 SP1) does not understand Adv Format and requires either a hotfix applied to the base 'image' or to be a SP1 Integrated install DVD (Citation http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848035(v=vs.85).aspx ) . You need to call HP back and point then to MS own documentation and they need to send you a Windows 7 SP1 PRO DVD instead of a Windows 7 PRO DVD.

Solution

Don Soehngen

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Tom: Thanks for your input; I'll try to get with HP tomorrow. Just glanced at the article - haven't read it yet. Western digital has an article addressing advanced formatted hd's, "advanced format hard drive download utility". This is fine, except my os-less hard drive can't get to their program yet. We'll keep trying.