[SOLVED] Purchasing a motherboard, CPU And RAM help required :)

May 16, 2020
Hello all,

After experiencing a starting up / POST problem after an installation of a purchase of an old 3rd Gen intel CPU I bought a new PSU which still didn't resolve anything. So I've opted for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I Have a Seasonic focus GX 650 PSU
And Intend to get a:

ASUS PRIME Intel B360-PLUS Coffee Lake ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i5 8400

Nvidia 1050Ti

8GB Corsair DDR4 Value Select, PC4-17000 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 15-15-15-36, 1.2V, Single Stick, Desktop Memory.

I have a Samsung Internal hardrive which I'm also intending to use which is a bit old.

Would these components be compatible?

Would I be able to use the CPU without a Bios update?

Id really appreciate a little support regarding this purchase and any suggestions, bearing in mind I don't have a too much money to spend on these items.

Many thanks.

-Mick.

Solution
The parts are compatible. B365 supports 9th (and also 8th) gen out of the box if there isn't much difference in price. That's if you're not comfortable updating bios if considering upgrading cpu to 9th gen in future. You're probably be content as is so the board you picked out is fine.

Another suggestion is ram. If considered two sticks, preferably 2x 8GB. Being that mixing ram bought separately can cause problems if were to buy another 8GB stick in future. Not only for capacity which 16 is recommended nowadays but for dual channel performance. If you can, get a kit of two now. Depending what you're doing of course, i said 16 is recommended but for you it may not be. In which case, 2x 4GB is better than 1x 8GB.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The parts are compatible. B365 supports 9th (and also 8th) gen out of the box if there isn't much difference in price. That's if you're not comfortable updating bios if considering upgrading cpu to 9th gen in future. You're probably be content as is so the board you picked out is fine.

Another suggestion is ram. If considered two sticks, preferably 2x 8GB. Being that mixing ram bought separately can cause problems if were to buy another 8GB stick in future. Not only for capacity which 16 is recommended nowadays but for dual channel performance. If you can, get a kit of two now. Depending what you're doing of course, i said 16 is recommended but for you it may not be. In which case, 2x 4GB is better than 1x 8GB.

Reactions: Mick19
Solution
May 16, 2020
Thanks boju,

Yeah its definitely something to consider in regards to the RAM. And yes I'm not too comfortable with updating the bios really its not something I want to do unless needed. so ill probably double up on the RAM and get an 8th gen that will install with no bios update as you've noted.

Reactions: boju