Pure Shapeshifter Class

Has anyone created a pure Shapeshifter class? Full twenty level
progression, with or without limited spell casting ability, etc.
Something like the Warlock, a nice tight class focus with a bit of
utility. Anything like that out there?

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Tetsubo wrote:
> Has anyone created a pure Shapeshifter class? Full twenty level
> progression, with or without limited spell casting ability, etc.
> Something like the Warlock, a nice tight class focus with a bit of
> utility. Anything like that out there?

I'd like to see a good attempt at it. My first
really fun character in AD&D was "Shade the Shifter",
a member of the Shapeshifter subclass of Druid
from an early issue of Space Gamer magazine.

My memories are a little sparse, but you had a
no armor, d8 hit die character with one animal
form it could take at will - limited to critters
of a power level similar to normal familiars - and
several-times-per-day shifting into a list of
more powerful forms - this list becoming longer
and including more powerful forms as you went
up in levels, kind of like a spell list.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

firelock_ny@hotmail.com wrote:

>Tetsubo wrote:
>

>>Has anyone created a pure Shapeshifter class? Full twenty level
>>progression, with or without limited spell casting ability, etc.
>>Something like the Warlock, a nice tight class focus with a bit of
>>utility. Anything like that out there?
>>

>I'd like to see a good attempt at it. My first
>really fun character in AD&D was "Shade the Shifter",
>a member of the Shapeshifter subclass of Druid
>from an early issue of Space Gamer magazine.
>
>My memories are a little sparse, but you had a
>no armor, d8 hit die character with one animal
>form it could take at will - limited to critters
>of a power level similar to normal familiars - and
>several-times-per-day shifting into a list of
>more powerful forms - this list becoming longer
>and including more powerful forms as you went
>up in levels, kind of like a spell list.
>
>Walt Smith
>Firelock on DALNet

I played one myself. I just couldn't remember what gaming magazine
it was in. I'll have to see if I can find my old copy...

--

Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote:
> Has anyone created a pure Shapeshifter class? Full twenty level
> progression, with or without limited spell casting ability, etc.
> Something like the Warlock, a nice tight class focus with a bit of
> utility. Anything like that out there?

You may be able to adapt something decent from druid + master of many forms.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in

> Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Has anyone created a pure Shapeshifter class? Full twenty level
>> progression, with or without limited spell casting ability, etc.
>> Something like the Warlock, a nice tight class focus with a bit of
>> utility. Anything like that out there?
>
> You may be able to adapt something decent from druid + master of many
> forms.

Here's my take on it:

HD: d8
BAB: medium (+3 per 4 levels)
Saves: Fort good, Ref good, Will poor
Skill points/level: 4+Int
Class skills: Bluff, Climb, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Intimidate,
Jump, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Profession, Speak Language, Spot,
Survival, Swim
Weapon and armor proficiencies: simple weapons, light and medium
armor, shields

1st: Shifting (1+Con/day, 1 minute/level), shapechanger subtype,
Healing Factor, 6 traits known
2nd: Endurance, 2 more traits known
3rd: Alternate form (humanoid), 2 more traits known
4th: Extra shifting (+1 use/day), 2 more traits known
5th: Alternate form (animal), speaking shift, 2 more traits known
6th: Extended shifting (2 minutes/level), extra trait
(full-round action), 2 more traits known
7th: Alternate form (monstrous humanoid), 2 more traits known
8th: Extra shifting (+1 use/day), alternate form (giant, Large),
2 more traits known
9th: Alternate form (magical beast), 2 more traits known
10th: Extra trait (free action), alternate form (fey, Tiny),
2 more traits known
11th: Extended shifting (10 minutes/level),
alternate form (aberration), 2 more traits known
12th: Extra shifting (+1 use/day), alternate form (plant, Huge),
2 more traits known
13th: Tireless shifting, alternate form (vermin),
2 more traits known
14th: Extra trait (full-round action), alternate form (ooze,
Diminutive), 2 more traits known
15th: Alternate form (elemental), 2 more traits known
16th: Extra shifting (+1 use/day), alternate form (dragon,
Gargantuan), 2 more traits known
17th: Persistent shifting, alternate form (outsider),
2 more traits known
18th: Extra trait (free action), alternate form (undead/deathless,
Fine), 2 more traits known
19th: Alternate form (construct), 2 more traits known
20th: Extra shifting (+1 use/day), alternate form (incorporeal,
Colossal), 2 more traits known

Shifting (Su): 1+Con times per day, you can shift, gaining one or
more traits, such as increased Strength or Dexterity, natural armor
or weapons, alternate movement or sensory modes, or other special
abilities from the Monster Manual. You start with 6 traits known at
1st level. Each level after 1st, you learn another 2 traits. More
powerful traits have prerequisites such as minimum class level,
skill ranks, feats, and/or other traits.

The number of traits you gain when you shift depends on how long
you want to take to shift. If you shift as a free action, you
gain one trait; if you shift as a move action, you gain two traits;
and if you shift as a full-round action, you gain three traits. At
6th level, you gain an extra trait when shifting as a full-round
action (for a total of four traits as a full-round action). At 10th
level, you gain an extra trait for all shifts; including the
extra trait at 6th level, you would have a total of two traits when
shifting as a free action, three as a move action, or five as a
full-round action. At 14th level, you gain another trait when
shifting as a full-round action, and at 18th level, you gain another
trait for all shifts.

You cannot change your traits in the middle of a shift; if you
want different traits, you have to unshift and then shift again
with the new traits.

Each shift lasts a maximum of 1 minute/level. You can unshift
early as a free action. When the shift ends, you are fatigued
for as long as the shift lasted and cannot shift during that time.
For instance, if you shift for 9 rounds, when the shift ends you
are fatigued and cannot shift for another 9 rounds.

At 6th level, the maximum duration of a shift increases to 2
minutes/level. At 11th level, the duration increases to 10
minutes/level. At 13th level, you are no longer fatigued after
the end of a shift, and you only have to wait for one-tenth the
duration of the shift (minimum 1 round) before you can shift again.
At 17th level, you can stay shifted for as long as you want.
However, to change traits, you have to unshift for a round.

Shifting counts as wild shape for the purpose of qualifying for
prestige classes and feats which require wild shape. Also, you can
use shifts to power [Wild] feats, and druid's vestments give you
an extra shift per day.

Shapechanger subtype: you gain the shapechanger subtype, though your
base creature type doesn't change.

Healing factor: When a shift ends, you regain hitpoints and ability
score points as if you had rested for the night.

Endurance: at 2nd level, you gain Endurance as a bonus feat.

Alternate form: Starting at 3rd level, you can take the
form of another creature, as long as the creature's Hit Dice do not
exceed your class level. Your base racial modifiers to Strength,
Dexterity, and natural armor are replaced by those of the creature
you turn into, up to your class level. Constitution does not change.
You gain the creature's movement and sensory modes and natural
attacks, and the ability to survive in the creature's natural
environment (for instance, if you shift into an aquatic creature, you
can breathe underwater), as well as any racial bonus feats or skill
modifiers, but you do not gain any other special attacks, or special
qualities. However, you can use traits to duplicate most extraordinary
abilities (or even to do things the creature would not ordinarily be
capable of).

When shifting into an alternate form as a standard action, you gain
one trait. If you shift as a full-round action, you gain two traits.
the extra traits at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels also count
when shifting into an alternate form.

Equipment resizes but does not fundamentally reshape to fit new body
plans. For instance, if a halfling shifted into a bugbear, his armor
would resize, but if he shifted into a horse, his armor would meld
into the new form and become nonfunctional.

At 3rd level, you can shift into a Small or Medium humanoid. At
higher levels, you can take the form of other creature types, and
the range of available sizes increases, as noted in the table above.

Speaking shift: starting at 5th level, you can speak while in an
alternate form, using any language you know, even if the form
doesn't ordinarily have the ability to speak.

Examples of traits:
Something like the Shifter traits from the Eberron Campaign Setting
and Races of Eberron would be available at the lower levels.

Once you have the ability to take animal forms, you could take
traits which give you some of their extraordinary special attacks
and/or special qualities, like improved grab, rend, trip, ferocity,
etc. Sensory abilities are automatically granted by the alternate
form; for instance, if you shift into a bat, you get blindsight.
However, there would be traits that let you get extra senses
without having to shift into that form first.

At higher levels, there might be traits which give special
resistances, like energy resistances, DR, and limited SR. At the
really high levels, you could gain some supernatural attacks like
breath weapons and energy drain.

Things which are not, and never should be, traits include spells or
spell-like abilities, and anything which increases your Constitution.

Anyhow, that's all the ideas I have for now.

-Ben Adams

Benjamin Adams wrote:

> [...]
>
>Once you have the ability to take animal forms, you could take
>traits which give you some of their extraordinary special attacks
>and/or special qualities, like improved grab, rend, trip, ferocity,
>etc. Sensory abilities are automatically granted by the alternate
>form; for instance, if you shift into a bat, you get blindsight.
>However, there would be traits that let you get extra senses
>without having to shift into that form first.
>
>At higher levels, there might be traits which give special
>resistances, like energy resistances, DR, and limited SR. At the
>really high levels, you could gain some supernatural attacks like
>breath weapons and energy drain.
>
>Things which are not, and never should be, traits include spells or
>spell-like abilities, and anything which increases your Constitution.
>
>Anyhow, that's all the ideas I have for now.

Very nice. This is a solid start at a pure shapeshifter class. My
thanks.