[SOLVED] pure Wireless access point vs Router set to access point

Solution
I'm leaning towards a router so I could use as router in a pinch if my current router fails. Any recommendations? Brands better than other? Was considering something in the 1200ac to 1900ac. Don't really need that much speed now but would have it for future possibly.
Asus RT-AC68U. Available used on E-Bay for less than $70. Has one button toggle between router and AP. Has excellent second source "Merlin" firmware.
Also available as RT-AC68W -- white if needed to blend into the decor.
DON'T buy the T-Mobile version if you buy used on E-Bay. They are difficult to use second source firmware.

kanewolf

Titan
Is there any speed related issues when using a router as WAP vs a only WAP?
It depends on the specific hardware. You could get a router with only 100Mbit wired ports, or fewer streams than an AP.
BUT, assuming you have gig wired ports and the same number of radios/antennas then the performance should be similar. Of course you mileage may vary because WIFI performance is dependent on many things beyond the originating hardware.

doublebonus

Commendable
May 4, 2020
It depends on the specific hardware. You could get a router with only 100Mbit wired ports, or fewer streams than an AP.
BUT, assuming you have gig wired ports and the same number of radios/antennas then the performance should be similar. Of course you mileage may vary because WIFI performance is dependent on many things beyond the originating hardware.
I'm leaning towards a router so I could use as router in a pinch if my current router fails. Any recommendations? Brands better than other? Was considering something in the 1200ac to 1900ac. Don't really need that much speed now but would have it for future possibly.

kanewolf

Titan
Asus RT-AC68U. Available used on E-Bay for less than $70. Has one button toggle between router and AP. Has excellent second source "Merlin" firmware.
Also available as RT-AC68W -- white if needed to blend into the decor.
DON'T buy the T-Mobile version if you buy used on E-Bay. They are difficult to use second source firmware.

Solution