Purple or Brown screen crash?

Sometimes when I'm gaming, my computer crashes and the screen turns a solid purple or brown color.

I sometimes can hear the sound of the game on an infinite loop.

Specs:
i7 920 at stock
XFX GTX260 216
6GB OCZ DDR3 RAM
750watt Zalman PSU w/ 60amps on 12v rails
Mugen2 CPU HSF

Ran Prime95 for hours without any issue. CPU maxes at 68'C and GPU maxes at 72'C

Is this a graphics card issue, motherboard issue, vista issue, or some other software problem?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Prime95 doesn't touch the graphics card. Download ATiTool and run the stress test that it has built in. It'll find the max temp REALLY fast.

And don't worry if it says some crap about the driver failed to install/load, as you don't need it to run the stress test.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I had trouble with my XFX GTX260-216 Black Edition that seems to be the same as what you describe. I ended up having to RMA it, which was easier then expected and "stepped up" to a GTX280 to replace it. IIRC they said it was memory corruption and failed their tests fairly quickly.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
A long drawn out process of elimination, tried another card ect.

I looked for a memtest program like that but it was a seemingly random problem while gaming.

You could try underclocking it, it made mine a bit more stable but I couldn't put up with it being underclocked and still crashing occasionally when I had paid for a factory overclocked card.

The problem is I bought it off of someone else. I had the "registration" transferred to my email (ie. the guy who registered it gave me the account, and I merged it with my account that had a 9800GTX registered)

However, for some reason, the GTX260 disappeared and I no longer have it registered. Can I re-register the card?

Also, I'm not even 100% sure it's the card - could it be the memory or software/drivers?

TRENDING THREADS