Question Purple Screen

Oct 26, 2019
Hi, just signed up and hoping I can get some advice/info. Not sure where to post this in the forums.

I came home today and my screen was magenta, no words was on it. I tried moving the mouse, nothing, so I shut it down.
When I turned it on there was the slightly high whirring that usually comes until the Win logo pops up, but the whirring didn't stop and the screen is blank, monitor light is still orange.
I used canned air to remove all the dust, tried again, nothing.
After awhile I tired again, the monitor light turned green, the whirring stopped, and the Win logo popped up for a split second. The monitor stayed on but nothing on the screen.

All my research shows a purple screen of death, with words on the screen, which I don't have. It also gives my ways to fix it, IF my PC would turn on, which it doesn't.

I have a Dell XPS, from long ago, like 8-9 yrs maybe, still works great. Sorry, that's all the info I can give you without getting into my pc.

Running on Win 10

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
is there a model number on the computer?
I suggest looking at the GPU. if you can try the monitor on another device and verify that it works, do.
is there a GPU on the CPU? does the motherboard rear I/O panel where the purple/green ports is have any display ports on it? is the monitor connected there?

Oct 26, 2019
is there a model number on the computer?
I suggest looking at the GPU. if you can try the monitor on another device and verify that it works, do.
is there a GPU on the CPU? does the motherboard rear I/O panel where the purple/green ports is have any display ports on it? is the monitor connected there?

Thanks. I don't have another monitor, and have no clue as to anything else. I thought I would be able to post a couple pics, but I don't see an option.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you will need to upload the picture to a file host you can then post the direct link here by using the tenth icon to embed the picture in the message.
smiley+face_full.jpg

click the icon, paste the link, click insert.

Oct 26, 2019
you will need to upload the picture to a file host you can then post the direct link here by using the tenth icon to embed the picture in the message.
smiley+face_full.jpg

click the icon, paste the link, click insert.
Still trying to figure out how to upload to a file host

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
this is the one I have used before
go to the webpage and hit chose images, when the directory listing opens navigate to the proper directory and select the file or files you wish to upload. let it do its thing and post the link here.
or you can use the embed icon 10th one across the top of the posting box and paste the direct link there, the image will appear. I just uploaded this to verify the steps for you
1825689574-preview-Map.png

Oct 26, 2019
this is the one I have used before
go to the webpage and hit chose images, when the directory listing opens navigate to the proper directory and select the file or files you wish to upload. let it do its thing and post the link here.
or you can use the embed icon 10th one across the top of the posting box and paste the direct link there, the image will appear. I just uploaded this to verify the steps for you
1825689574-preview-Map.png

Which link do I post, there are so many?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
first if you can try the other DVI port on the card, unscrew the white DVI and pull it and secure it to the other port.
does your monitor have a blue VGA cable port on the back or is DVI the only option? if you have the blue port. the monitor ahsould have shipped with both DVI and VGA cables. you need to remove the GPU temporarily and connect the monitor to the blue port with 15 holes in it on the rear of the computer. this is the GPU built into the CPU and should work fine if the other card has failed, you just need to connect it all up.

Oct 26, 2019
So I am using the blue VGA it works, everything is giant. So I have to assume that it's the video card, It's A Ndivia so it must be the pink screen of death I've read about.
The only other issue now is the loud whirring noise, as I mentioned, it only makes that noise for a few seconds while starting, which by the way start up now is forever, but it keeps doing it now. I'm trying not to use the pc in case there is another issue.

I'm going to need another card, but can't spend a fortune, right now what's in it is a Nvidia, GeForce, not a great one but works for my needs, a few years old. can't tell ya what it is because it doesn't show me.

So it's a Dell XPS, 8300
Processor is Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM 8 gb
64-bit OS x64 based processor.
SMBIOS Version 2.6

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
everything is giant because the internal GPU is using the default generic VGA drive and a low resolution. you should be able to change the resolution in the display properties dialog in the control panel.
you can get the driver for the GPU from intel. you can use this GPU until a replacement comes in.
I suggest removing the failed card so the fans onboard are not running at full all the time

Oct 26, 2019
everything is giant because the internal GPU is using the default generic VGA drive and a low resolution. you should be able to change the resolution in the display properties dialog in the control panel.
you can get the driver for the GPU from intel. you can use this GPU until a replacement comes in.
I suggest removing the failed card so the fans onboard are not running at full all the time

Everything is moving really slow, when I tried to change the resolution it said it ran into a problem and I had to restart. Ok wait. It restarted and the resolution is normal, I never got to change it, so I guess it fixed it on it's own, and the whirring stopped. Oh, and the card I have is a GeForce 8800gt, which is now showing.

Oct 26, 2019
I now know what that loud whirring noise is, it's the graphics card. I can't get it out, I tried but there's this clip and I broke it, so it's stuck in there. I thought if I just removed the power source to it then it would be ok, all that did was a really high pitch scream, plugged that back in. And idea on how to remove this, still can't reach my pc guy.

TRENDING THREADS