Push-pull question regarding using 2 different types of fans

xsuperbe

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hello, so I got the Masterbox lite 5 rgb case which includes 3 great looking fans pre installed in the front of the case, however, I'm planning to get corsair's h100i v2 and mount it to the front, and make the stock fan of h100's to pull air, is it ok? I know that the pre-built fans aren't good to be in a radiator since they have low rpm/because I really want the LED fan to be in front of the case because it makes it A LOT A LOT better and not feel like my money was wasted on the wrong case, here's a picture for the case: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41r3MldM0CL.jpg

H100i v2's specs:
Radiator dimensions: 276mm x 125mm x 30mm
Fan dimensions: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm
Fan speed: 2435 +/- 10% RPM
Fan airflow: 70.69 CFM
Fan static pressure: 4.65 mmH2O
Fan noise level: 37.7 dB(A)

Cooler master's fan specs:
Fan Speed (RPM) 650 ~ 1300 ± 10%
Airflow (CFM) 42.7 ± 10%
Air Pressure (mmH2O) 0.96 ± 10%
Fan Noise Level (dBA) 6 ~ 20 (Max)

and I personally find it logical to put the worse fan to be pushing air and the better one pulling the air, and I seriously don't mind a minor difference of performance but will still perform as good as same 2 fans? I doubt that but I don't want to be a huge difference, I really need your advice I'm just a newbie

Solution
Hello xsuperbe!

I have similar config. Case fans in front of the radiator and high pressure funs on the other side of the radiator, plus one exhaust in the back. Temps are fine, my 1060 does not suffer.
Do not worry, you can do the same if you please. Yes an air cooler is better than a small water AIO, but it is your build and your money. If you prefer looks and your components do not thermal throttle, just do it. Customizing your rig is part of the fun!

That is not a case I would use that cooler in. What will be cooling your GFX Card and CPU? Do they need fresh air? The heat from your H100i will be exhausted into the case.

xsuperbe

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Excuse me but doesn't the liquid cooler purpose to cool the cpu? and gpus have a pre-built coolers and depends on each company? isn't that what's supposed to cool them? correct me if I'm wrong lol

LOL and I am half asleep. I made no sense. Still we have the GPU without fresh air. It'll be a little warmer. Pullling will work but if I wanted to do that I would buy a RGB heatsink fan. The case fan isn't made, as you know but others may not, for heatsinks. Yes the GFX card has its own cooler but it does need fresh air. Just saying that I don't see that as being a good case for watercooling. The manufacturer of the case does say it can support it so.....

xsuperbe

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
What's the better solution in this case this? because I'm not wasting my money on a 120mm AIO unless its h80i v2 (for the look & space since I have RGB ram), I seriously don't want a air cooler, specially a high end air cooler, basically blocks my rams, looks shit, I would actually feel guilty for buying an rgb ram if I get the air cooler, and yeh just to let you know I have a i5-8600k planning to oc to 4.8 Ghz and maybe even more if I get good temps.

xsuperbe

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
well since the gpu needs a fresh air, how about me getting a good high end 120mm fan for the rear place like noctua's fan to get enough fresh air to the gpu and cpu? isn't that also a good idea?

xsuperbe

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I seriously am more confused whether to go with h80i v2 and put it in the rear of the case (Will obviously perform the lowest I assume), or do what I have said (Having a push-pull h100i with diferent fan) will easily outperform the h80i v2 even if its only push or only pull stock fan by 8 c, which is huge, adding to that the help from the push case fans will also add at least 1 or 2 c, or the final decision is to get a cooler master ML240L which has the same fans as the case fans and I can do push-pull with the same fans guarenteeing full performance but I doubt that it will out perform the h100i even with the push-pull, the ML240L option will cost the lowest and still perform better than h80i v2, then h80i v2 comes next, then h100i comes last as the most expensive out of those 3 options, totally confused -_-

Will anything you do result in temperatures that would mean thermal throttling when you OC? Will that temperature variation(~8c?) mean the difference between a fail and a win as far as 4.8GHz is concerned? I'd go the simple route and install the V2 at the rear and leave the front fans the way they they are

In the end you may think that the 80 is the weakest option and the what if I went with the H100i will begin. Get the H100i and install some proper RGB heatsink fans on the push side of the radiator. My GPU's 120mm cooler is set to exhaust at the top of my case. Its fan is set to push by EVGA and the temps. are very good. Either side will work.

xsuperbe

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
I posted here discussing about which is the best 120mm AIO, all of them in here flipped and started giving me an air cooling options, since then, I hated all the 120mm AIO is they will be useless compared to the 240 and 280, I don't know, worst case scenario of my situation is that if the case fans won't push much air, it won't count as a pushing fan, however, the stronger fan which is the stock fan of h100i will pull enough air, I don't mind the performance as long as I get the look, and I don't mind changing the fans with the time with a better ones I'm just talking about using this situation for max 4 months, will it affect the stock fan of h100i's? will this actually boost the performance of h100i's at least for 2 C? I don't know I just have to try, this kind of questions are so specific that can't be easily answered unless applied.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Hello xsuperbe!

I have similar config. Case fans in front of the radiator and high pressure funs on the other side of the radiator, plus one exhaust in the back. Temps are fine, my 1060 does not suffer.
Do not worry, you can do the same if you please. Yes an air cooler is better than a small water AIO, but it is your build and your money. If you prefer looks and your components do not thermal throttle, just do it. Customizing your rig is part of the fun!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS