[SOLVED] Push/Push

Jun 4, 2020
I recently built a pc and realized I’m actually doing a push/push radiator.

I am using a kraken z73 360mm. Let me make sure I’m clear. I’m pulling fresh air from the front of the case push it through , and didn’t really think when I installed my Corsair fans on the other side of the radiator that it’s actually sucking case air into the radiator. This would be considered a push/push right?t really be unheard of I imagine. I didn’t want rgb fans in the front of the case, I really only wanted them inside on the other side of the radiator which was the reason it was a push push. I never considered the push/push when doing this though. I recently changed to the standard push/pull but now my RGB on the radiator is gone. Would doing a push push harm my pc in any way?Thoughts?

I did check temps form startup and immediately I see about a 10-12 degree difference (significant i would say?) which also showed running cinebench on my cpu and gpu, bittersweet. I guess I can move the rgb Corsair fans to the front of the case and use the NZXT for the other side of the radiator. Drawback to that is I believe and would imagine the nzxt are static pressure fans whereas the Corsair aren’t. Not worth the hassle really. Although both temps are acceptable the new method I’m using is certainly more ideal. The cpu is in the mid to high 20's idle which is nuts.

Solution
prior, I had air being sucked in being pushed through the radiator and then fans on the other side sucking case air in pushing that’s through the radiator as well. This is what I prefer in terms of aesthetics but temps are not nearly as good. That’s why I am curious as to if this would be a problem. I’ve seen a 12 degree difference.

You cannot mount two fans opposing each other on either side of the radiator. Both fans opposing each other will nullify their effekt.

Think of two allied soldies with a gun aiming at each other. Not a good idea. Both might die. You always want to have allies shooting the same direction not facing themselves as enemies.

Also you cannot mount fans on both sides pulling away from each other. That is...
I recently built a pc and realized I’m actually doing a push/push radiator.

I am using a kraken z73 360mm. Let me make sure I’m clear. I’m pulling fresh air from the front of the case push it through , and didn’t really think when I installed my Corsair fans on the other side of the radiator that it’s actually sucking case air into the radiator. This would be considered a push/push right?t really be unheard of I imagine. I didn’t want rgb fans in the front of the case, I really only wanted them inside on the other side of the radiator which was the reason it was a push push. I never considered the push/push when doing this though. I recently changed to the standard push/pull but now my RGB on the radiator is gone. Would doing a push push harm my pc in any way?Thoughts?

I did check temps form startup and immediately I see about a 10-12 degree difference (significant i would say?) which also showed running cinebench on my cpu and gpu, bittersweet. I guess I can move the rgb Corsair fans to the front of the case and use the NZXT for the other side of the radiator. Drawback to that is I believe and would imagine the nzxt are static pressure fans whereas the Corsair aren’t. Not worth the hassle really. Although both temps are acceptable the new method I’m using is certainly more ideal. The cpu is in the mid to high 20's idle which is nuts.
It wouldn't be push-push, only pull.
If a fan is behind radiator and pulling air thru it it's PULL. If you want to ad another one to radiator it needs to push air thru it. Then it's push-pull.

Jun 4, 2020
It wouldn't be push-push, only pull.
If a fan is behind radiator and pulling air thru it it's PULL. If you want to ad another one to radiator it needs to push air thru it. Then it's push-pull.

the front fan (nzxt fans) are pushing air through, fresh air. The Corsair fans are pulling that air through and sending it in the case. That’s what I currently have.

prior, I had air being sucked in being pushed through the radiator and then fans on the other side sucking case air in pushing that’s through the radiator as well. This is what I prefer in terms of aesthetics but temps are not nearly as good. That’s why I am curious as to if this would be a problem. I’ve seen a 12 degree difference.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Which image below describes the configuration? Left or right?

qJf60z9.png

Push and pull usually reference position of fans on a cooler body, be it air cooler or radiator. Case fans are usually in reference to position in case depending on their position and are intake and exhaust, that's why I needed clarification.
If you have fans positioned on both sides of the radiator They both need to blow in same direction.
On pictures above left one is right, and right one is all wrong.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020

You cannot mount two fans opposing each other on either side of the radiator. Both fans opposing each other will nullify their effekt.

Think of two allied soldies with a gun aiming at each other. Not a good idea. Both might die. You always want to have allies shooting the same direction not facing themselves as enemies.

Also you cannot mount fans on both sides pulling away from each other. That is like rope pulling against each other. Also kills both fans.

try to guide the air one side into the the case, through the case and out at the opposing side.

Thermaltake-Core-V71-full-tower-case-is-the-ultimate-powerhouse-suitable-for-any-type-of-PC-enthusiast-%E2%80%93-no-matter-liquid-cooling-or-extreme-airflow.jpg

Edit @rubix_1011 cant see your pics...

Solution
Jun 4, 2020
Of course you have better temps! That's because it's actually working.
Yeah, that’s what I figured. I didn’t even realize that it was incorrectly installed until a few days later. I don’t like the look it has at all, which is why I was curious if my previous setup was a thing, and/or acceptable

Jun 4, 2020
Push and pull usually reference position of fans on a cooler body, be it air cooler or radiator. Case fans are usually in reference to position in case depending on their position and are intake and exhaust, that's why I needed clarification.
If you have fans positioned on both sides of the radiator They both need to blow in same direction.
On pictures above left one is right, and right one is all wrong.
Just saw this reply unfortunately I do love the right one lol. But yea I get it

Jun 4, 2020

Also you cannot mount fans on both sides pulling away from each other. That is like rope pulling against each other. Also kills both fans.

try to guide the air one side into the the case, through the case and out at the opposing side.

Thermaltake-Core-V71-full-tower-case-is-the-ultimate-powerhouse-suitable-for-any-type-of-PC-enthusiast-%E2%80%93-no-matter-liquid-cooling-or-extreme-airflow.jpg

Edit @rubix_1011 cant see your pics...
Thanks for this yea, I now have have cool air coming in going through the rad and being pulled through the rad on the other side with another fan, you’re saying this is bad?

merit nvm, both are shooting in the right direction

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Air has to move 'through' the radiator, otherwise you are creating a scenario where you are attempting to trap or force air in from both sides, but where is it to go?

Radiators and fans are about function as a primary goal. There are other options if the 'look' of the fan is the entire reason it was setup that way.

But yes, you should most certainly see a dramatic difference with air setup in the left diagram.

Jun 4, 2020
Air has to move 'through' the radiator, otherwise you are creating a scenario where you are attempting to trap or force air in from both sides, but where is it to go?

Radiators and fans are about function as a primary goal. There are other options if the 'look' of the fan is the entire reason it was setup that way.

But yes, you should most certainly see a dramatic difference with air setup in the left diagram.

Other options means what I had?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, there are decorative fan guards and grilles you can buy if you are wanting to cover some of the fan bracket and chassis.

I would never recommend the setup on the right...it accomplishes very little other than maybe looking a bit nicer.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Other options means what I had?

Also look at the picture of the Computer. Make sure that other fans in the chassis are pointing to draw air out of the chassis. The air should flow trough the radiator and through the chassis like a river.

Make sure not all your fans are blowing into the chassis. Ideally you think of a way the air moves through,
In my picture, cold air is pushed into the chassis from front and bottom, and pulled out of the chassis at the back and top.

Jun 4, 2020
No, there are decorative fan guards and grilles you can buy if you are wanting to cover some of the fan bracket and chassis.

I would never recommend the setup on the right...it accomplishes very little other than maybe looking a bit nicer.
Gotta look up and see if I can find some, temps were very normal still but not optimal, thanks

Jun 4, 2020
Also look at the picture of the Computer. Make sure that other fans in the chassis are pointing to draw air out of the chassis. The air should flow trough the radiator and through the chassis like a river.

Make sure not all your fans are blowing into the chassis. Ideally you think of a way the air moves through,
In my picture, cold air is pushed into the chassis from front and bottom, and pulled out of the chassis at the back and top.
Other fans are set up as an exhaust out of the top and and back, thanks!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you want RGB goodness on your rad, then you either need to buy some fans that have RGB that can be seen no matter which way they are flipped, or mount the rad to the top of your case as exhaust if the case and motherboard VRM/RAM clearance would allow it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Gotta look up and see if I can find some, temps were very normal still but not optimal, thanks

What would be 'optimal' in your opinion? Since this started out as a thread where both fans were pushing air inward and without correct flow, I'm wondering what the expectation is even after fans are in the correct orientation?

Fan grilles are not going to improve cooling. They are for decoration and helping keep your fingers out of the fan blades.