[SOLVED] Push VRAM Limit

Juanchx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Hi! I hope you are fine and thanks for answering! I'm not an english speaker

The thing is I don't use my computer to play anything than League of Legends, so I don't need to push my hardware.
I don't remember when I buy this PC but it has a few years and it's getting very old. Argentina is very expensive to buy something new right now.

The specifications are:
Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Processor: FX 6300 @3.5Ghz
Graphics: XFX R7 260X 2GB VRAM
RAM: 2x8GB at 1600Mhz.
Monitor: Just a VGA at 1366x768, very helpful

I recently downloaded GTA V as it's free at Epic Store till 21 may. So I overclocked my R7 260x to 1060 Mhz Core Clock and 1310 Mhz Mem Clock.
I never overclocked even my CPU, so, overclocking my GPU, will increase FPS?
This is GPU and CPU temperature, I don't know it's okay.

Run pretty well I think, but I don't know if that temperature harm the hardware itself.

This is the configuration that I'm using

https://ibb.co/yS1TDsR

Everything high except grass and no MSAA reflex. As you see, the VRAM limit it's almost full, but, the game let me put high than that. This can broke my graphic card, going more than 2048 VRAM? If I overclock a little more, can i set higher graphics in that resolution?

Btw, it's look very good, but humans always want more haha

Solution
1)Overclocking the gpu will do next to nothing with the FX-6300. Plus you're playing at 768p. Your in game performance will be more dependent on the cpu than the gpu.
2)It can't use more Vram than it actually has. Nothing will happen.
3)You won't know until you try...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Overclocking the gpu will do next to nothing with the FX-6300. Plus you're playing at 768p. Your in game performance will be more dependent on the cpu than the gpu.

Solution

Juanchx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017

Thank you for answering, I'll try later

Juanchx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Overclocking the GPU won't make any difference and your CPU is the limiting factor, you could try overclocking that. GTAV is known for being one of the more CPU intensive games out there.
Hey thx for answering!
Everytime I just overclock to 4/4.1 GHz, without upping voltage, or +0.050 or +0.075 freezes inmediatly ar Prime95. Maybe try with another CPU stress test?

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
You probably need to up the voltage more, I would search what other people have achieved for that chip and try gradually working your way up to it. Just remember it's a balance between voltage, frequency, heat and stability; as you up the frequency, the voltage needs to go up with it, which in turn causes more heat and eventually loss of stability. If you're new to overclocking I would look for a guide, there are loads out there, it's not something you want to guess at!

Since you said it's expensive to buy parts where you are, I would be very careful overclocking your system. It's not hard to damage the hardware. Components running at a bit slower speed are more useful than broken fast ones. That goes double for your older parts, and I would guess your power supply is not a top model so that is also a thing to watch out for.