Question Pushing max voltages

ameigh

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
OK, so this is for an older build. I decided to really push this build before I upgrade or go onto something different.
My setup: 6700k Msi z170 M9, and an open loop cooler with 480 rad.
Currently i can get my cpu up to 4.8 stable around 1.45v, max temps around 65°
I cannot get it to boot at 4.9, keep getting BSOD
My settings for both are:
CPU current limit max 256. vcore=overide
At 4.8 i set vcore to 1.45.
I tried maxing out my mobo at 1.55 and still got BSOD.
I did attempt to use override+offset giving vcore 1.55 and an offset of .05
I'm getting current limit throttling with that setting ( cant put CPU limit above 256)
I have tried with turbo boost enabled and disabled. speed step is off.
I have plenty of room for temps but cant get voltage high enough.
Am I maxed out? Have i reached that point of the extreme? Do i need a custom Bios? Can i ask anymore questions? xD
Hopefully there is something I'm missing and get hit that golden 5.0! =)

ameigh

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Ok the first video I understand everything. Easy enough.
Second video. I understand the concept, I just never understood how it applies to the bios.
By his explanation vid should not be adjusted right?
He is explaining how to adjust llc, I just don't follow what settings these are and how I go about adjusting.
The fact you responded with this I'm assuming you think I'm dropping or spiking too much? That's the cause of bsod? I'll keep looking into llc

ameigh

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Alright, I haven't really made any progress.
I feel like i know this a bit better now, but i still cannot reach a better overclock.
The lowest i was able to get a stable overclock at 4.8ghz was vcore override at 1.45 at 77c
The other settings i have tried adjusting are as follows:

turbo boost:
long duration 250
short duration 250
cpu limit 250

Vdroop
cpu load line cal= mode 1
cpu gt load line cal = mode 1
phase control= optimized
dram over 250 mv
dram under 250 mv
dram switching frequency = 500khz

When i tried going up to 4.9 i had the same result as before
Then I increased the dram over and under to 350 because Intel utility was showing current limit throttling
It booted but failed as soon as a ran a stress test. I'm fairly certain this is a vdroop issue i just don't see a lot of adjustment in the bios other then cranking up dram over/under.
What does this actually adjust? How can i know what is safe for my chip?

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
You need to adjust the LLC in the bios. I have an Asus and it's under digi/vram I think. When I adjusted this, I was able to lower my temps as well as avoid a sudden overshoot in voltage which can cause you to BSOD. On Asus, the range goes from 1 - 7. 1 being the most conservative whereas 7 is the least forgiving. My board was on auto and I set it to 5, so basically whatever I set as my cpu voltage, the board will not overshoot that voltage 90% of the time.