put 360 disc drive in pc

otisriedel

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014
silly question i'm sure, but would i be able to play 360 games if i did this? can i play 360 games by taking parts from my xbox and putting them in my pc? or is my only hope a shitty emulator that can only handle frogger 2?

Solution

That idea reminds me of the computer/xbox that was shown on "The Screensavers"(I think?) back in the day although in all honesty it was still an Xbox and a computer separately more of a case mod honestly. But yeah that can always be done. Its just not really connected to the computer. Its just two separate machines sharing the same space.

bignastyid

Titan

Nope, nope and yep

otisriedel

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014

ah crap. why do emulators require so much anyways?

caqde

Distinguished
Think of it like telling the computer to speak a foreign language by using an English to X dictionary. Your computer isn't an Xbox 360 so in order for it to run their software it has to act like it is one. It does this by reading the software and converting that into the PC equivalent. So basically it looks at the software and goes ok it says do this so that is equivalent to me doing this.

As with the example this is a painfully SLOW operation as it would be for someone having a conversation with someone talking another language using a Dictionary (English to French for example). There is a lot of coding required to make an emulator also especially as newer consoles have more features and are more complex making this an even larger task.

otisriedel

Honorable
Apr 5, 2014

can emulators be tailored to specific games? and can i somehow magically transfer a 360 game to a non-emulating pc readable disc?

caqde

Distinguished
Yes they can be tailored to a specific game as has been done for the one xbox emulator (Designed around Halo in this case) and no since the game was designed for the xbox 360 that is impossible. The only people that could do anything of the like is the game developers as they have the original code for the game.

ItsMrNumb

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
are you looking to actually use your keyboard and mouse to play the games? or just to have the drive in the pc to play and have all in one machine? because if that's the case then it it in fact possible.

caqde

Distinguished

That idea reminds me of the computer/xbox that was shown on "The Screensavers"(I think?) back in the day although in all honesty it was still an Xbox and a computer separately more of a case mod honestly. But yeah that can always be done. Its just not really connected to the computer. Its just two separate machines sharing the same space.

Solution