Question Put all my parts in new motherboard. MSI Bios detects all 32 gigs of ram in slots, but only uses half.

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus

2 sets of 16 gb (8x2) 3200mhz Trident Z ram, both rated for the same speeds and everything. Worked perfectly in previous motherboard before it died for other reasons.

Fresh Ryzen 7 2700x

View: https://i.imgur.com/iSEEBvz.jpg

4 slots of 8 gigs detected, only 16 gigs used for DRAM. All the RGB on the sticks lights up too so it feels like something's just stopping the other half from being allowed to be used rather than them dying. I've not messed with any BIOS settings besides turning on XMP, but that was after I noticed I only had half RAM and thought maybe they might make it restart something and use the RAM. Computer works perfectly fine otherwise I'm just wasting 75 bucks right now is me thing.

I've tried updating the bios to no avail. It could be as simple as reseating the ram but I really do not want to deal with fiddling with hardware unless I need to after the week this PC has given me. Any software-based ideas before I try fiddling with the hardware? If it's the CPU itself I can just try putting in this other 2700x I bought and was gonna return (redundancy incase of DoA parts, I learned my lesson before) but again, potential software-based fixes would be appreciated.

bravetriforcer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Use of multiple kits of memory have no guarantee to be compatible together.
I know but the thing is they worked on the last motherboard but not on the new one, so I thought maybe something went wrong with the new mobo. But I can just return this ram and buy a single set of 32 gb to fix the issue yeah?

Dec 1, 2019
But I can just return this ram and buy a single set of 32 gb to fix the issue yeah?

You should contact the seller you bought from. Some even promote switching something for anything else, as long as there's the same/similar price tag, while others don't even want to exchange the RAM if they don't think it's not working properly(sometimes they even test them, and it takes them like 10/20/30 days, depending on how much time/workers they have).